Fly Lines for Sea Run Cuts

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Zissou Intern, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Zissou Intern

Zissou Intern New Member

I am asking Santa for a new 6 wt fly line for fishing SRC's. Any advice?
    Thanks.

2. John Dude

John Dude Learned skills from George Dickel

SA clear tip sinking line is what I have

3. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

I use a floater because I fish floating flies.

Leland.

4. Zissou Intern

Zissou Intern New Member

Leland, what type of taper? Is a "general purpose" WF adequate?

John Dude, what's the sink rate?

Thank you.

5. NomDeTrout

NomDeTrout Fly Guy Eat Pie

Been sticking with standard wf6f with 10 ft sink tip or leader with weighed fly

6. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

I would recommend a standard WF floating line. However, I use the Orvis Bonefish line but don't do what I do.

Leland.

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

For SRC I typically carry a WF floater and a WF clear intermediate. The occasional SRC that I get to dance with have been in relatively shallow water and not tremendously far. If you have one of those lines maybe you can convince Santa to bring you a spare spool and the other type of line.

8. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

The fish I caught tonight were in 4 feet and less of water depth. You know the rest!

9. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

I carry the same as Mumbles. But so far that's all I've done. I haven't caught any yet. Bob

10. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

I echo Mumbles comment. I carry both floating and clear intermediate (SA). I've used both depending on what's happening on the water and my mood. I started with a floating since the vast majority of my SRC's were in very shallow water, near shore. I think it's also important to remember that I've only been doing this for nine months so what do I know?

11. Craig Schulz

Craig Schulz Midwest transplant, but taking root nicely....

I third Mumbles comment about having both. 90% of the time I fish a intermediate sink tip. It totally depends on the water depth, fly you are fishing and what you want to do, if you are fishing poppers definately a floater, but if you want a smooth consistent depth on the strip I don't think you can beat the intermediate tip. JMHO As for the type of line check the site there are several treads about it, I personally like the Airflo 40+

12. Zissou Intern

Zissou Intern New Member

Santa is bringing me SA clear intermediate sink tip AND Les Johnson's book.

Thanks for the advice, gentlemen.

13. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Santa must realize you've been very good to bring you that combination! Merry Christmas.

14. NomDeTrout

NomDeTrout Fly Guy Eat Pie

very cool. i just finished Les Johnson's book a few nights ago. Great easy read.

15. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

It depends on where you're fishing from. Off the beach the intermediate tip of your choice is most versatile. If Santa has brought you a boat, you'll do better with something that sinks. If you're in fast current like the South Sound, a line that sinks very fast. Some guys swear by a type 8, or use a running line with a wallet of tips.

16. Agreed. I have too many lines for my own good, but I do like fishing a fast sinking line in some spots. I forget what line i have but it's a type 6 or so lake line that shoots like crazy. I also have an intermediate line that gets alot of use. Plain old floater is the best all around line though. I have Outbound lines for my 5 and 6 weights although I hear the Airflo shooting heads are even better.

17. Zissou Intern

Zissou Intern New Member

After reading everyone's input, I was actually thinking about going with a versi-tip on my spare spool. The cost is double, but it'd offer me many more options. Then again, I may just go with the clear sink tip. Santa just ordered me a pair of Orvis Pro guide 3 waders (Solstice celebration gift), and Mrs. Claus doesn't know about that yet. As for the boat, if Santa brought me one, I'd just lose it in the subsequent divorce.

18. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Floater!! If you get only one line, get a floater! :eek::eek::eek:

19. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Santa really wants to help you catch SRC's. Be sure to leave her some cookies and milk (or a Macy's gift card).

20. John Dude

John Dude Learned skills from George Dickel

1.75 ips