Fly name

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Jack Devlin, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Anyone know the name of this fly? I've been tying and using it for maybe three years and for the life of me can't remember the name. I definitely got the pattern somewhere. Copper tag, golden pheasant tail, peacock herl body (or chenille peacock), copper wire rib, squirrel wing and grizzly hackle. I use olive or wine thread.

Attached Files:

2. Etamaman

Etamaman Member

Kinda looks like the Rat pattern developed by J. Clovis Arsenault.
    Nice looking flies.
    Also kinda like the Steehead Coachman tied by John Hazel used on the Deschutes River. Only Hazel uses golden pheasant crest for the tail.

3. Jack Devlin

Your mention of the Deschutes rings a bell. I have a call into a friend who I think will know the name. I'll post it.
    I like tying the pattern and have used it on the Sol Duc as a low water pattern and also it is one I often tie on as a "change up" pattern. I have taken Steelhead on it.
    The Steelhead Coachmen may have been the catalyst for this pattern??????
    Thanks Etamaman,
    Jack

4. Jack Devlin

The fly is the PRISM fly. Developed in the 80's in Oregon. Not sure by whom. Thanks Jim for the phone call.
    One of the reasons I like to tie it is that I like copper. There aren't too many patterns which call for copper.
    In spoon fishing, a copper spoon is often used in clear and low water.

5. Patagonguy

Patagonguy Active Member

Really nice combination of materials. Must be a terrific fly.

6. Jack Devlin

Thanks for your comments. It is a good fly and I enjoy tying it.
    Jack

7. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Looks like the Steelhead Coachman that I tie but I use squirrel tail for the tail and I put a little crystal flash in it.

8. Jack Devlin