Fly Rod Casting: Reasons to use your other arm

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by AJEC, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Who says you can't. You can fish until your arm falls off. All you need to do is blunt your hook barb. That way you could probably catch a few but most will get off., LDR baby

2. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

OK, I'm convinced. I need to practice more if I ever hope to get the southpaw down. Gotta find some place to practice where there's nobody eating popcorn. Will probably end up anchored in the far corner of a lake, where only the old crone with the high powered telescope can observe my folly.
    The good thing is that I can try to avoid setting in any bad habits that were ingrained in my regular casting stroke (and that I am working on correcting) while learning the ambi-cast.

3. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    You're talking steelhead, which they don't have in the UK and is a total different ball game.

4. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    on a side note I've just learned to cast backhand and backwards and sidearm still having trouble with the offhand spey casts though...

5. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

As I learn spey casting, I've tried both a double spey "cack-handed" and also a double spey left handed. I think I can cast a little better left handed in that situation.

6. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Home Page:
    I was taught in the day to practice with two poll's at the same time. It helped me get the timing down. When I actually tried it at the river, I pretended to have two polls in hand but using the left. I have better luck with a nice side arm cast then I do with my left.