Fly Rod Leash for Floating - A Necessity or Not

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Brennen Busse, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Brennen Busse

Brennen Busse Member

Ok, I've got to start somewhere. Just bought my first float tube today (creek company Uboat). I have to say I've been floating zero times, but after looking at some of the accessories, do you think a fly rod leash is a Neccesisity or NOT. I'm cheap, but I'd hate to see it go sinking into the abyss.

2. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    Yes, at least when you have your hands on the oars. Rivers or lakes, it's a good idea. Most good rod holders have a little bungee strap.

3. tediousthumper

tediousthumper Hello My name is Thad and Im addicted to flyfishin

Media:
    I think the u-boat is a belly boat or float tube, not a pontoon. I'm amazed that someone is selling a leash so that you won't stupidly loose your rod. The experience I've had on my boat, is that at least one of my hands is always on my rod, usually fishing. Seems to me like another useless way for some one to try and make a buck. But I do like creek company, so yeah you should buy one.

4. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    Next time I'll pay attention a little better. I guess there are no oars on a U-boat.

5. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    I've fished out of tubes and toons for the past 16 years. I have never used any sort of leash, and I have never lost a rod (knock on wood!)

That said, I'm sure it wouldn't be a bad idea either. But me I would look at just making something with stuff found lying around the house. Can't imagine actually shelling out cash for something like that.

I bring 4-5 rods in my pontoon when stillwater fishing. Takes some magic to keep all the rods tangle free and dry, but it can be done. I found that another rod holder mounted to the frame was my favorite method of keeping an extra rod safe when I only brought one extra. That way I had one rod in my hands at all tike and the other stored safely in the rod holder.

These days I fish out of a 10' pram and bring just as many damn rods with me as I see fit lol

6. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
  7. Stan Wright

Stan Wright Member

Home Page:
    In the Navy... every piece of survival gear is tied to the life raft in one way or another. Belly Boat? Why not? String or cord is cheep. We have our clipper, forceps, leaders, dip net, and stuff "tied" on us, right? Why not the rod? (Yes I have lost a rod from my belly boat)

Now days I do "boat" boats. Lost one dip net and 2 BogaGrips before I started attaching them to a float with a leash.
    ( my 8 year old granddaughter and her rod went over the side once... unlike the rod, she could swim... Recovered both )

8. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

you dont need a rod leash, just gets in the way. that u boat has a velcro flap on both sides. just put the rod under one or both of those flaps when you need your hands free. if im messing with a fish in the net or whatever, i just tuck the upper half of my rod under a flap. A tip, since your new, when u inflate it and fish, because of the cold water it will loose a little air pressure when ya throw it in the water, so if u think u have a leak it may simply be this. also, when coming out of the water, especially if there is sun, deflate a little bit and get it in the shade. the sun will expand it and bust its seams. the Uboats are awsome and cheap, it was my first and now my spare if the toon or 420 fails me. if you want to take it on a hike, buy the light weight fins. it will save ya a couple pounds. have fun and good luck.

9. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

another tip, pardon the mispelling, but get a couple caribeaner(lol) clips. attatch them to each side of your tube. one can be for a stringer, the other for an anchor line. the wind will push you around abit, so if ya want to stay put just throw out a small anchor, you can clip the line to either side that way. the anchor will stow fine in the uboats pocket. thats all the accessories you will need for that uboat.

10. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    I bought a kayak paddle leash (something like this http://www.rei.com/product/752707/seattle-sports-sportsmens-paddle-leash) so that I could secure my rod while I am fishing it, but honestly have never used it. I don't fish lakes a lot, although I plan to more this year with the steelhead seasons getting shorter and shorter...

I have lost my net, on Lone Lake, and will secure that in the future. A piece of para cord will do the job I guess, but a leash or something like it will expand and stay out of the way better in my opinion. I usually bring 2 rods along, one rigged with a streamer and the other with a dry or whatever else I think might work.

Last, as others have said, get the best fins you can afford! I borrow my friends dive fins and absolutely love them.. I haven't tried Force fins, but others swear by them... There are some really good lake guys on the forum.. and I've learned a lot from them when I've fished with them.. ahem, Ive and Roper..

11. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I am going to say YES to the leash, specially on a tube. I too pack multi rods on my pontoon, I have lost a couple reels trying to change line, soooo that is why I string up on shore and pack more than one rod. I had landed a fish once and had the rod laying to my side while I revived the trout. I watched my rod slide off my toon and away it went! I had maybe 15' of line in the water and a fish hit it. Never did recover it no matter how hard I tried. That really hurt on that with a $600. rod $250. reel and $85 in line. Needless to say, I now use leashes. I like the KEY zingers and I attach 24" of backing to it then the rod. That way the leash is out of the way most the time, and I have no resistance to cast.

IF you spring a leak and it does happen, you will not sink totally, but you do panic. Keep your bags zipped and the rod/rods on a leash and you might not loose anything.

12. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

I know you're talking about a belly boat, but I'll tell you my opinion about rod leashes....they just get in the way, creating yet another tangle. I have one for my fishing kayaks, and have found it's a PITA. I also don't like the feel of the thing when I'm casting. When I set a rod down, it goes into a scotty rod holder, where it won't fall off the boat. I think the main point for any craft would be to have something to attach it to temporarily when you set it down for any reason. It would be the shits to see your rod head to the bottom while you're fumbling around for some gear. I do however have my net attached to the back of the kayak with some thin bungy cord, which keeps it out of the way until I need it. More than a few times I've found it floating off the boat when I'd failed to stash it properly in the rear cargo well.

13. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Suppose any of us will live long enough to see CA (or a few of the wanna be states) impose a "leash law" for fishing rods... don't laugh, stranger shit is already on the books :rolleyes:

No, I don't leash my rods. If I'm too stupid to secure and hang onto them while on the water, then it's probably time to take up another activity.

14. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

I guess it could be called stupid specially in hind sight, but chit can and does happen when least expected as in my case...but only once.
    A simple easy fix and a lot of security goes a long way to me...I don't fish cheap ;-)

15. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

+1
    Fish long enough, and often enough, and shit happens that ain't got nothing to do with stupid.

16. Brennen Busse

Brennen Busse Member

Thanks for the feedback and for the links everyone. I'll just have to get out there and learn from experience on this one. I'm pretty conscious of holding on to my stuff when it shouldn't be dropped. It looks like the replies here are 50/50 in getting a leash or not. Hope that leash law doesn't pass for all of you non-leashers!

Brennen

17. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    I've been using these since my buddy lost his setup at P-lake.
    Easy to put on and off, cheap, and your setup floats. Haven't
    lost anything yet but I fish, so I will.

Dave

18. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Knew a guy that used one of those coiled wrist keychains. He put it on his casting wrist, connected it to the rod with a small piece of cord and it did not seem to interfere with anything he did. Easy to pull off the wrist when he wanted his hand free. Some like insurance, others don't.

19. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    Ed, I spent 11 bucks and don't worry about shit
    falling off my tube or pontoon. At my age I need all
    the insurance I can get.

Dave

20. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Dave, that kind of money can put your mind at ease. I've dropped stuff before. Likely will again. I tether many things now that I did not tether before. I think of tethering the girls rods when they have them too. They are theirs, not hand me downs from me. I'd hate to see them lose their stuff.