Fly rod length for 9yr old girl?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Mark Walker, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

A friends daughter is very interested in fly fishing and he asked me on appropriate rod length. Would a 9' be too long for starter rod?
    She handles gear quite well.

2. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Don't think it matters much.

I have a couple friends with the build of a 9 year old girl and they are able to manage quite well. That being said, one of these Grace rods from Sage might be a perfect fit.

3. garthman

garthman Member

my 8 year old grandaughter struggles witha 9 foot rod. she does much better with my 7 '6" 3 weight

a lot depends on their strength. my graddaughter is slight and light so the longer rod is a challenge

dryflylarry likes this.
  4. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

I have a 7 year old son who will be getting a 4wt fiberglass rod soon, either 7'6" or 8'0". I do think a little shorter than 9'0" is called for with little kids.

5. Check out the Echo Gecko rods for kids. I think they're 7'6" or 8'.

Ed Call and bennysbuddy like this.
  6. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Depending on the individual child, a 9 footer may be just perfect, or it may be a bit much. Action should be the first consideration: a medium rod will allow them to feel the rod load. The Echo Gecko is a great stick. There are lots of good options out there; I've compiled them here for ease of comparison:

http://www.takekidsflyfishing.com/2011/04/fly-rods-reels/

7. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Absolutely no need to get a rod that long for a nine year old. While she might be able to handle a 9ft rod, I think a 7.5ft rod will be more than enough rod for now and comfortable for her to cast. When she's 14-15 yrs old and still fly fishing, then get her that 8.5ft-9ft rod she can use as an adult.

8. greenwater

greenwater Member

My 7yo son has the redington minnow which is 8ft and seems to be about the right length.

9. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

I would go with a 7'-6" to 8' and a 3wt.

10. bkerbs

bkerbs Member

My 8 year old son uses a 7'6" 3wt. I bought him the cabelas three forks, only because it is inexpensive and I can replace it easily if he breaks it. He hasn't graduated to the use of my rods yet. Maybe another decade or so and he will be ready.

11. NewTyer1

NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

7'6" in a 2/3wt. would be right for her. Obviously, he might not want to go top of the line but, there are options out there, He could get a blank and build one as a surprize or buy a prebuilt one. Even a 6'6" rod would be nice. I had Kevin from Colorado Custom fly rods build mine. He is very reasonable and can accomodate him. He could get a pink blank in what ever way he wants

12. jwg

jwg Active Member

I got LLBean rods in 8 foot 6 wt and cannot recommend it for kids. Too long and too stiff. It takes strength and technique to get the rod to load.
    On the other hand, the 7.5 foot 4 wt in a medium action graphite, that I built for myself, worked well for my early teen daughter. (Sci Anglers first cast line, estimated to be about 4.5 wt, overlines the rod nicely for medium action)
    Suggestions above for fiberglass also sound good for easy rod loading. I have 3 weights in both fiberglass and graphite. The graphite casts noticeably better for me, but the fiberglass is definitely fun and easier for close in casting.
    Jay

13. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Thanks to everyone for their input.
    Rather than them buying, I was planning on just giving her a one of my graphite rod/reels that would be suitable for her. I fish (when time allows) predominately glass with a smattering of bamboo. The graphite is just gathering dust.:D

14. Jim Allen

Jim Allen "Fish-On" Custom Fly Rods

My grandson is 3 years old, I have taken a 4 piece 9 foot 5 wt blank scraped the bottom section, mounted a reel seat & cork built the rest up and he now has his own 3 piece fly rod and is learning how to cast. It's all about fun now and he is learning to love fly fishing. Rainshadow forecast blank $30-$40 time with my grandson $ priceless

15. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

She could manage, but my 9 and 7 year olds rock the Echo Gecko with great control.