Fly Shops in Yellowstone Area

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Tom Merrill, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Tom Merrill

Tom Merrill Member

I have finally convinced my spouse that camping is OK. We're heading to the Yellowstone area. I know the rivers there are plenty, but does anyone have any advice on local fly shops that have good selection and good information on local fish activity? I'm sure some of the veterans out there may have some info. Any help would be appreciated. I'll have my 4 and 3 year old girls with me, so no major hiking would be a must. Thanks for your help.

2. Greg Moore

Greg Moore New Member

3. Roll Cast

Roll Cast New Member

Anderson is a good guy. I lived in Bozeman. These shops will treat you right also.

Bozeman:
    Montana Troutfitters
    1716 West Main Street (In the Beaver Pond Plaza)
    Bozeman, MT 59715
    (406) 587-4707 or 1-800-646-7847
    www.troutfitters.com
    Dave will have a good feel for who's been catching what/where in the Gallatin Valley.

Livington:
    Dan Bailey's Fly Shop
    209 West Park Street
    Livington,MT 59047
    406-222-1673 or 1-800-356-4052
    www.dan-bailey.com
    Check out the fishermans wall of fame. They will have good info on the Yellowstone River, Armstrong's and DePuy's Spring Creeks.

West Yellowstone:
    Blue Ribbon Flies
    309 Canyon St.
    West Yellowstone, MT. 59758
    (406) 646-7642
    Say hi to Craig and Jackie. They will be a good source of information.

Jacklin's Fly Shop
    105 Yellowstone Avenue
    West Yellowstone, MT 59758
    (406) 646-7336
    Bob Jacklin is the best. He has fished with every notable since the 50's. He once helped me get enough used fishing equipment together for every boy in a local orphanage to be able to fish. He has donated his time for years to teach local high school kids to catch trout.

Bud Lilly's Fly Shop
    39 Madison Avenue
    West Yellowstone, MT 59758
    406-646-7801
    1-800-854-9559
    www.budlillys.com
    This shop has changed hands but, when Bud owned it, and hopfully still; they were the best at helping an angler and his family enjoy the "total experience" (Bud's way of saying "fish and take in the scenery. Don't forget to notice the bird's and flowers"). The shops guide service included sightseeing trips for an anglers family while the angler was out with one of their fishing guides.
    There are others. These are my favorites.

Roll Cast
    Think Good Thoughts
    Play as if Life were the prize

4. art

art New Member

I was in yellowstone park all last week and most of the rivers where closed on the east side of the park due to high water temp ( 78-80 degs ) from hot days and warm nights, also hot water from the geysers. there are four shops in west yellowstone. the fishing was slow in yellowstone and the two forks of the snake by jackson hole

5. jackchinook

jackchinook Member

Media:
    I worked there for a summer and spent a bit of time in West Yellowstone. There is certainly no shortage of flyshops. My experience was that Jacklins was alright but a bit too 'hardware-friendly' and the one across the street (can't remebmer the name) was alright if you know what you're after but was a bit high on what I call Rocky Mountain attitude. The best one was on the highway just on the north side of town (but still within West Y.) which you take if you're headed out towards Big Sky and Bozeman. I'm pretty sure it's Blue Ribbon. If you're heading out of town it'll be on your right. Excellent selection, great staff that actually show interest in your questions and comments. I was doing fish biology work in the park and they seemed the most interested in what we were doing whereas I got the feeling that some of the other people I talked to would have preferred to dump big brown trout in every flowing bit of water that would hold a fish regardless of the consequences.

Anyways, have fun and fish the Lake and kill some lake trout!
    jack chinook

6. Tom Merrill

Tom Merrill Member

Thanks to all for your help. The trip was a success, but the crowds were less than desirable. Water temps were high in the Gibbon, Firehole and Madison drainages, so all three + tributaries were closed. Did fish the Warm River in Idaho. It's one drainage east of Henry's Fork. Caught browns, rainbows and brookies all in the same stretch. Some nice fish too. Nothing huge, but a few in the 16" range. They were taking hoppers which was really fun! My brother-in-law learned the importance of the mend in a drag-free presentation, but he picked it up quickly and had some success as well. If you're in the area, I highly recommend it. Happy summer guys!

-Tom :THUMBSUP