Fly size at Pass Lake?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Theron, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Theron

Theron Active Member

I will be vacationing in the area in MId-September and want to tie up some wooly buggers, leeches etc for a day of fishing at Pass Lake. What are some good hook sizes? I was thinking of black, olive and some blood leech for colors.

2. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

I like a sz. 8. Makes for a good minnow. I've used bigger, for big leaches and things like that, but I think my hookup ratio is better with a size 8 hook.

3. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
  4. nwtroutguy

nwtroutguy The Tug Is The Drug

I regularly use a size 12 leech and it works well. It is a little early to start throwing the bigger stuff. That will come a little later in the fall. Look at the size of the fathead minnows in the lake and you will get a good comparison. Yellow and white work sometimes, but generally at that lake,, it tends to be a more subdued color like black/maroon, dirty olive and a dirty tan.

5. Theron

Theron Active Member

Thanks for the replies. I generally use size 10 - 14 for pan fish so I should have a pretty good supply already on hand. Here in Nebraska most any color will work as long as it is black. I will tie up a few olives and tans. The blood leech simi-seal works pretty good here too depending on the time of year.

6. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Can you say white?

7. gabe0430

gabe0430 Banned or Parked

I use with good luck any size 10-12 olive feathery streamer...leech, Hale Bop, WB etc on a sinking line.
    Chronomids are also all the rage on that lake, dangle them one foot of the bottom.