Fly size

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by wyofly, Jan 1, 2013.

1. wyofly Active Member

NW Wyoming
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    I plan on tying some streamer patterns such as the Clouser minnow for SRC and I'm unsure of the hook size. on I will be fishing Vashon Island beaches. All suggestions will be appreciated.
  2. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    Tiemco 811S stainless steel hook, size 6 and 8.
    Duane J likes this.
  3. wyofly Active Member

NW Wyoming
    Thank you.
  4. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +773 / 0
    gamakatsu ss and sc15 tin coated are a finer wire hook, easier on the fish. Step up to the tiemco or daiichi stainless when you target salmon in the fall to keep from breaking/bending hooks
  5. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    another option being that your looking to tie clousers is to use waddington shanks. They have a reverse eye so it will keep the barbell eyes from coming loose and spinning around the hook so your flies will last a lot longer, in addition to that you can replace the stinger hooks when they get dull from dinging rocks and as a final benefit it moves the hook to the rear of the fly to get better hookups. they're a bit more expensive but you should be able to go through less flies. when I tie them on a standard hook they always end up coming loose and fouling around the hook even when I use super glue.
  6. wyofly Active Member

NW Wyoming
    Thanks guys. Re Waddington shanks. I understand that they are no longer being made, but there are still dealers that have stock.
  7. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    Articulated shanks by Fish Skull might be easier to find or just tie your stinger on a cheap Mustad and clip off. See the Miyawaki popper in the SBS section on this method.
  8. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    I would use the fishskull ones then, I still have a bunch of partridge waddingtons. I feel that the key advantage is the fact that they do not allow he eyes to spin around the hook and its why I prefer them over a clipped stainless hook.