Fly Tiers Quiz

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Jack Devlin, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +1,009 / 1
    A few questions for WFF Fly Tiers. Be honest.
    1. Does the far side of the flies you tie look as good and the same as the near side?
    2. How many consecutive times have you stuck your finger(s) on the hook of the fly you are tying?
    3. If you use the "sucking method" of bobbin threading, what is the longest length of thread that you have inhaled?
    Feel free to add a few questions.........
    Here are my answers:
    1. Sometimes looks better but not always necessarily the same.
    2. I'd say 6 .
    3. Just about 12 inches. Note: NEVER have a lot of slack when you thread your bobbin this way. Tighten up the spool first.
    pittendrigh likes this.
  2. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +783 / 0
    1. Yeah. But then goo bugs looks the same from all sides.
    2. I think three is my record
    3. Did it for years without problem, now use one of those fancy threadingmathingamajiggers.

4. what % of your tying materials have never been used more than once? -- probably 20% in my case. I have some odd shit in the collection.
    5. How many flies do you have on hand, that you have tied, that you think you'll never fish with? -- I would guess 50-100.
    Jackd likes this.
  3. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,709 / 0
    1: no
    2: 3,246
    3: 1 Hour 45 minutes (actually I passed out at that point)
    4: 50%
    5: 3,246

6 (new one) What was the original wing material of Royal Coachman Trude when it was created?
    Jackd likes this.
  4. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +516 / 0
    1. seldom, maybe on glowbugs?
    2. twice... I think.
    3. never did it that way, always used the little wire thing.
    4. Maybe somewhere between 10% and 20%
    5. 801
    6. You mean it wasn't calf tail? Got me on that one, don't know but I'll bet Jack does.
    Jackd likes this.
  5. Jack Devlin Active Member

Royal Trude. Is that the one that was tied with dog hair?
    jack

Good question for a yet to be marketed Fly Tying Trivia game.
    J
  6. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    YES! It was dog hair!

It's another one of those trivia fly tying facts that I ran across and I'll be danged if I know where I read it. I was doing research in regards to the history of the Royal Coachman for an article I was writing when I ran across the story.

The Royal Trude was tied as a joke by a guest at the Trude Ranch (I think it is Idaho but I'm not sure on that one). The farm dog at the ranch had white patches of fur. A guest thought it would be funny to tie a Royal Coachman using white dog hair in the swept back position. So, he clipped some white hair from the dog and tied the fly.

To everyone's surprise, the pattern worked!

Obviously it wasn't the correct thing to do to cut all the white fur off the Trude Ranch dog so they switched the wing material to calves tail.

So, the answer is indeed : dog hair. 1 for Jack!

The name of the pattern was had nothing to do with the guy who tied the fly as a joke but in honor of the Trude Ranch.

Anyway, just a little more fly tying trivia. Now back to the original theme of the thread.
    Jackd likes this.
  7. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +516 / 0
    Thats pretty cool GAT, I hadn't heard that story but I don't doubt it for a second.
  8. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +419 / 0
    1) The far side always looks like shit, but then again the near side usually looks like crap. So not the same at all :rolleyes:
    2)5 or six. Really chewed up my thumb one day while attempting to tie a pattern that was technically beyond my ability
    3) always used the wire threader
    4) 25%
    5) I'm new to tying so maybe a dozen

6) How many times have you snipped your thread and had your bobbin fall while trimming a material you just lashed down? I have to be over a dozen, most of the time it happened when trimming chenille tag ends
    Mark Mercer and Jackd like this.
  9. Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +153 / 0
    1) Usually the far side doesn't look as good. But occasionally I get lucky and both sides look equally shitty.
    2) I have a roll of paper towels on the tying desk at all times.
    3) I have never inhaled. Or had sex with that bobbin holder.
    4) I use my scissors a lot. Other than that, I have no idea. I know I've bought stuff because it looked cool and then never seen it again.
    5) A lot, but thank God it's not more than I actually do fish with. Anybody thought about biting the bullet and recycling the hooks?
    6) I thought it was bleached pubes. But if you say it was dog hair, then I guess that's true.
    Jackd likes this.
  10. Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Maple Valley
    Ratings: +263 / 3
    1) Far side looks like a different fly
    2) 4
    3) too much
    4) way to much and usually the more expensive stuff

New-How much Sallys is on your floor and pants? I usually use half a bottle and spill the rest somewhere
    Jackd likes this.
  11. wyofly Active Member

NW Wyoming
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    Both side look equally bad.
    5 and all occurred recently when tying a beach popper and the stinger was the culprit.
    I graduated to the threader, but it may be faster to suck.
    I'm careful when cutting the material because I have cut the thread way to many times.
    And material, I could start s fly shop.
    Sally's has remained upright, but I live in fear.
    New Question: Is your fly tying space organized?
    My wife bought me a roll top desk, just to dissociate herself from the mess.
    Jackd likes this.
  12. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

1. Yes, really I just rotate the fly as I tie it!
    2. Too many to count, I just figure it's some "scent" on the fly...
    3. Yes, and too much.. it sucks when that happens!
    4. 50% if you don't count all the duplicated materials I have from impulse trips to the fly shop, only to get home and realize I have that color, size and/or hook that has barely been used!
    5. 100 or so.. and yes, I have recycled some hooks and beads before!
    Jackd likes this.
  13. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    One more trivia fly tying question and then I'll drop it this month.

What color is the urine stained underbelly fur of a vixen arctic fox (there really is a pattern out there that calls for that ingredient)?

BTW: you guys do realize that you cause a jinx when you bring up all the foul ups mentioned above? I cut my thread off by mistake three times last night while tying flies all because it was mentioned in this thread. ... :eek:
  14. Bob Newman Member

On the edge of ???, WA
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    That's easy Gene, pale pink to match the hendrickson hatch.

What style of fly was the original Trude Fly and what was the winging material ?
  15. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Yup, it is pink. Guess that one was too easy. As with most, I figured the color would be yellow but nope...

We already answered the Trude trivia with the dog hair and all.

Okay, one more. The Royal Coachman started out as a Coachman pattern. Who added what material to the pattern to create the "Royal" Coachman?
  16. Bob Newman Member

On the edge of ???, WA
    Actually Gene you asked about the Royal Coachman Trude a later derivation, it was preceded by the actual Trude fly that was tied for A.S. Trude and used on Henry's Lake.
  17. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    You are correct. It's another one of the patterns that goes by a number of names. I've heard it called a Trude Caddis, the Trude,
    the Royal Trude and the Royal Coachman Trude.

The interesting part of the story is the dog hair bit used as a joke for the wing.
  18. Bob Newman Member

On the edge of ???, WA
    The original Trude is really not even tied anymore, it was a streamer with a red yarn body, brown hackle, and hair from a Red Irish Setter. It was the go-to fly for the lake for many years.
  19. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    That's amazing. I wish I could figure out where I read the version of the story that I did. It wasn't in the book I thought it was.
  20. Jack Devlin Active Member

THis is the story - pretty sure the correct one as I remember it being told - of the royal trude.The Trude is a down-wing dry pattern with a calftail hairwing and a heavy hackle collar. Originally, the Trude was a wet fly designed by Carter H. Harrison of Chicago, Illinois, in the summer of 1906 while he was a guest at the A.S. Trude Ranch near Big Springs, Idaho. The fly was created as a joke using red yarn from a cabin rug for the body and hair from a red spaniel for the wing. The "joke" became an instant success and created great interest in the use of hair for a wing. The fly was later adapted to a dry fly dressing by including a tail and, probably saving the family pet some fur, switching to Fox Squirrel tail for the wing.