Fly Tying Manuals

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Luv2flyfish, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

Western WA, US.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    WWF:

What various tying manuals do you use? Its only been 5 years or so that I was pretty much unable to do anything around flyfishing except day dream and read. Now that I am back into pretty much every free moment that I have.....I see that I am quite rusty at the vise. I have forgotten a lot of those little tricks and what not. Plus, its looks like if I am going to do any serious trout fishing I need to learn Lakes. I figure its time to buy a good manual that will give me good service for the rest of my life on both river and stillwater fisheries.

Other than the Bench Side Referrence (I cant justify 100 bucks on a book) what do you recommend? :hmmm

Thanks! Jay
  2. kal Member

Yelm, WA
    I picked up Philip Rowley's Fly Pattern for Stillwaters. It is the first tying book I bought. The directions are relatively easy to follow for a newbe. One idea is to check out the library. I found quite a few books and was able to look at them before laying down the cash.
    kurt
  3. Whitey Active Member

Far side of the moon
    Ratings: +179 / 0
    Rowleys book is a good start. I would add Essential Trout Flies by Dave Hughes. YT:smokin
  4. pilchuck steelie New Member

here are 3 that i like:
    american fly tying manual by dave hughes
    basic fly tying by dick talleur
    morris and chan onfly fishing trout lakes by skip morris and brian chan
    i think you'll like the morris and chan book, easy to read and to the point. covers flies, and has pattern info for tying. also covers methods and how to put the info contained in the book to work for you.
  5. Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

Western WA, US.
    Thanks for the info so far. I do not really need a beginners book. I am only new to Steelheading.....as for trout I have been at it for about 10 years. I never bought a manual - I just learned the patterns that I needed and only fished a few patterns in all those years. I was looking on Amazon and saw a book called the fly tying bible or something bible. It has 100 patterns in (I will never need a hundred patterns). Anyone have any experience with that book at all?
  6. three_tree Member

Seattle, WA.
    I've been using Randall Kaufman's books "Tying Nymphs" and "Tying Dry Flies." Absolutely great! :thumb
  7. cmtundra New Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    I mostly use the Orvis fly-tying manual. I don't recall the exact name (I'm at work & can't check right now), but it's a spiral bound book by Orvis. It's got the basic tying instructions included, but most of the book is chocked full of quality color photographs & recipes of all sorts of flies. The great photos are the biggest plus for me. The flies are all broken down into sections like Steelhead flies, bass bugs, streamers, dries, Australian, European, Shad flies, saltwater streamers, etc, etc. I bought it at Barnes & Noble a couple years ago for $28 -if my memory serves me correct.
    easygoer
  8. Wildram007 Guest

There are alot of great tying manuals to choose from. I've always been a fan of the Kaufmann's series of tying manuals. They are well-organized, thorough, concise, comprehensive... Oh yeah - the Washington Fly Tying Manual put out by the Inland Empire (?) Flyfishers is INDESPENSABLE!!! But, for your purposes, I'd just say to go to a few fly shops, keep your elbows out, and peruse the various works at your disposal and thereby gleen which will serve YOUR purposes best.
    Good Luck!!!
    :smokin
  9. crazyjake Member

Sedro Woolley, Washington, USA.
    Two manuals that come to mind are:
    1)Flytying Techniques by Jaqueline Wakeford.
    2)Production Flytying By A.K. Best.

Not recipe books but some good info and illustrations.:thumb
  10. Jerry Arlington Member

Grandview, WA, USA.
    Why buy a book if you have a computer. I don't think there is a fly that has ever been tied that isn't on the computer someplace.
    Try this one to begin with.http://danica.com/flytier

Although it is nice to have some book to.
  11. Jerry Arlington Member

Grandview, WA, USA.
  12. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +59 / 0
  13. Jerry Arlington Member

Grandview, WA, USA.
    "The Art of Fly Tying' , Cy Decosse, is another great beginner or for that matter anyone book. It explains in detail how to do what and when in tying flies and cover how to do different material for different flies. Great book and lots cheaper. Amazon is 15.37 new
  14. WW New Member

Walla Walla, WA, USA.
    I bought the Fly Tier's Benchside reference for about $45. If you look around enough (ebay, half.com, etc.) you can find it for a lot cheaper and I also think it is a great book. No matter what book you end up deciding on, if you go to www.bublos.com and enter the title of the book they will do an internet search for you and show you all the different prices.
  15. mikel New Member

Boston, Ma, USA.
    I would recommend "A Perfect Fish - illusions in fly tyin" by Ken Abrames. Not so much a manual, but he explains and gives examples of how to create flys. I have fished with Kenney and his flys work! A lot of great art work in it as well - a great book.

Cheers,

Mike
  16. mikel New Member

Boston, Ma, USA.
    I forgot to mention Kenney's web site, lots of great fishing info and people

www.stripermoon.com

Tight lines
  17. Randy Knapp Active Member

Warm Springs, Virginia, USA.
    Great site!

Thanks,
    Randy