Fly tying question

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Scott Behn, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Was sitting here this morn and started tying some ant imitations with some kind of packing foam, kinda like popcorn foam just a little bigger. As I was starting to go crazy with this new material, new for Harley, :thumb I starting picturing other patterns that I could use this foam, with trimming to shape of course, on. My question to you folks is what type of permanent markers I could use to color this foam with? I don't really want to leave them the grayish color that they are for all patterns.

Harleydeen
    :dunno
  2. andrew Active Member

Bellingham, WA.
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    Scott,

Test the markers out first on a few extra pieces, the alcohol/solvents in the marker may cause the foam to disolve. Stay away from Crayola...I believe they are water saluable (sp), might want to try sharpies? or "Design2 - artmarkers" might work...they have a better range of colors (natural) for doing renderings. I think they might even be sold in Office Depot.
  3. YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Las Vegas
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    PANTENE (SPELLING?) MARKERS ARE GOOD. EITHER THAT OR TAKE A SAMPLE TO A CRAFT SHOP AND DO A LITTLE ARTWORK... SOME FLY SHOPS SELL THEM AS WELL AS CRAFT STORES. GREG
  4. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,224 / 0
    Sharpies are waterproof but usually available only in black, red or blue. A better bet would be to go to an art supply or crafts store and look for some art markers in more subtle, natural tones.

I use some old Design markers with medium or broad tips. The dried-up ones seem to work best 'cause the color goes on kinda streaky for a more natural look.

You can test 'em for waterproofness (how's that for a made-up word? :) before you buy by marking on a bit of paper than then use a fingertip with some saliva to see if the mark bleeds. If it does, you don't want to buy it.

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." ~ Rafael Sabatini
  5. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    Thanks for the help...I was wondering about the pantenone pens myself, but never have heard of the designer markers. Heh there Andrew I'm not leaving the state at now. I'm moving the family to Goldendale (wife's family lives there) and I'll be attending YVCC to get my Associates of Science and then transfer after 2yrs. to WSU to finish my degree in Wildlife Ecology.
    By the way, Goldendale is a rocks throw from the Klickitat.

Harley
  6. troutman101 Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Pantone

They are sold at some fly shops as well.