Fly tying video questions

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by DEREK, Mar 24, 2003.

1. DEREK

DEREK New Member

Media:
    I'm looking for feedback on fly tying videos. Anyone purchase any they like or dislike? Does anyone find them helpful? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    It's a tough question, which is why I avoided answering till now. Hoped someone else would step up and take the heat...

There are a few good ones, but you have to be really specific. None that I have seen (and I've worked in a number of shops where vids run all day!) teaches everything well. Are you looking for Steelhead, nymphs, dries, lake specific flies, spinning deer hair, etc. etc. etc.

If you get more specific about what kind of flies you want to tie it might be easier to advise.

3. DEREK

DEREK New Member

Media:
    Any type of tying, be it beginer, steelhead, spey, bass bugs. I was just curious if other people found helpful, and which videos they found helpful. Which videos have you found helpful?

Thanks
    Derek

4. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Alec Jackson's favorite steelhead patterns (skunk, pseudo spey, etc.) video is the best I've seen for wrapping Marabou and saddle hackles. Really shows how to select and prep them. The heads on your flies will be smaller after watching.

Jimmy Nix's bass flies video is very good for deer hair, and there are some nice patterns shown.

I like tying and fishing the caddis (jack dennis and friends I believe) is okay. Anything with Gary Lafontaine is neat because his approach is so different.

Other than that, I'll have to think some more on it...

5. Gene Yotsuuye

Gene Yotsuuye New Member

Media:
    I have a few of Jack Dennis tapes and have found them helpfully. I did take a tying class to get started. I have only been tying for a year and the tapes give me a little more info than looking at the books, and I don't like to read, so if I watch a fly tied on the tape a few time I can usually sit down and tying one up. I also like A.K. Best books and tape. I belong to the Northwest Fly Anglers club and they have a video library available to members.

Gene (Yots)

6. Hywel

Hywel New Member

My top picks are, Alec Jackson's 'Popular NW Steelhead Patterns', Dick Talleur's 'Tube Fly Patterns', and Davy Wotten's (Classics w/SLF)'The Salmon Fly'. Good tying videos are like good books...there's a lot of 'em out there!

Good Luck and Good Fishing

7. Surf_Candy

Surf_Candy Member

Media:
    Derek,
    Most fly shops have a loaner program for their videos - so you can preview before you buy, or just preview and learn.

Jim