Fly Tying

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Cutthroat_Fight, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Nailknot Active Member

Cascadia
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Michael and Young fly shop up in B.C. sells a great kit with most of the materials Ray recommends above. They'll also throw in the materials for a few of your favorite flies if you ask. Great shop highly recommended. I don't mean to pump them but I've been buying from them for the past year or so and they've really been a stand up shop. They have a website: http://www.myflyshop.com/
  2. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +55 / 0
    Geez, you guys are doggin' my bible, "The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference". It's not a 100 bucks, it's only 70 on amazon.com, see link in message # 4. But that's kewl, I'll live. I'm all for not spending a years tuition at the Udub, just to catch a fish. I really want the 149 dollar fly vest from Simms, but I'll just keep using this U.S.Army survival vest that I tied a pair of fingernail clippers to.

That would be great for all of us to get together and tie flies. I would love to get out from behind this computer screen and meet everyone. My fly tying kit is totally mobile as I take it to work and tie when I get a chance.

Cutthroat_Fight, what ever you do, just start tying anyway you can. I can show you how to whip finish by hand. I know I have a lot to learn from everyone on this board too.

Hey Chris, Can we all meet at your house? Just kiddin'.....sorta.

Matt
  3. papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Camano Island, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +61 / 0
    I think everyone enjoy's catching fish with a fly they tie themselves, I sure do. I've been tying for several years now, and like many have already said, they might not be pretty but they do catch fish. Some times though it is necssary to buy a few flies, if only to see what they are really supposed to look like :HMMM

If you want to buy a few flies, for reference or just to stock up quickly before a trip, I would suggest you take a look at the flies available at Ed's Surplus in Lynnwood. Why :CONFUSED because of the selection available but mostly because of the price, only 99 cents each! And the quality is good too.

Streamers, leaches, wooly-buggers and such are pretty easy to tie, but some of those dry's take a bit of practice and time, so if you ever need to buy a few flies get over there and check it out.

I'll probably be sorry for this post, won't be any left for me now :MAD :WINK
  4. Scott Rethke New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Nice that we have been able to exercise the marketplace of ideas on this topic. Here is my final idea for the advanced tier and/or the beginner: do not neglect craft stores! For example, you can go to Orvis and buy tungsten beads for $5 or swallow your pride and go into Michael's Crafts and pay $1 for the same product.

For those who posted frustration about dubbing, go to Michael's and buy yarn/chenille and just tie it on without having to deal with putting dubbing on the line.

Enjoy!
  5. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +665 / 5
    Hey Caddis, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhsh

LOL. I love michaels. What's funny. I tie up a few patterns for salmon that I use ribbing on. Some with built in reflector tape in it. Orvis sells them in like 5 yard spools for about $4. For $2 I can buy the EXACT same stuff (I mean EXACT SAME) in 100 yard spools. Save $2 and have a supply to last me along time. I just wish chenille wise michaels had a better selection and quality. Not bad stuff, but you can tell that the stuff fly shops sells is different. But craft stores are great.
  6. Gene Yotsuuye New Member

Seattle, WA.
    Well, I work downtown so I go to Kaufmann's to shop. The basic setup that Ray Helaers describes, Thompson "A" vise, etc. Is what is in Kaufmann basic tying kit that I purchased last year, about $65. And I took a tying class from Gary at the shop. I think a class helped me get going much faster than I could have done on my own looking at the books and/or videos, which I use now for help and ideals. Kaufmann also sells a range of material kits. I purchased the basic beginning kit. But was soon back at the store buying stuff, different hook sizes, different color marabou and chenile, woolly buggers were the easist fly to start tying. But I will also admit I have not used all the material in the kit since I have not tried tying many dry flies yet.

Gene
  7. Cutthroat_Fight New Member

Everett, WA, USA.

I am a bit suprised at all the feedback. I now have a ton of information to digest. First of all I am thinking of Not going with the kit, but buying each piece as inexpensively as possible.

Those flytying tieoneon gettogethers sound great! Next time you have one let me know my neighbor may want to come too. :)

Mattziod, I searched on ebay and found that book for $55bucks with a buy it now feature and may eventually get it..after the lotto results come in. :EEK :BIGSMILE

Thanks for the tips on flytying classes Old "I live 17 miles from the river" Man and Caddiscaster and all the advise about The Flysmith...its good to hear testiments from people who have had business with them in the past.

Steelheader I rarely get to the Tacoma area, but thanks for the offer :) Maybe when the flytying gettogether happens you can come up! It would be fun to meet a few people from the board. In the words of Mcrowdy and Old Man It would be $%#$^&^ great to meet all you @#$%^%$ and tye some flies while we get ^*^%$@ Faced!

:COOK

Everyone else thank you for the great advise...it means a lot to a newbie to get such great feedback from experience.

brian
  8. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,620 / 0

What do I know---I'm just an old man

Where are you coming from,your home base. Do you live close to Marysville. Just asking as that is where I'm at.

Jim
  9. Cutthroat_Fight New Member

Everett, WA, USA.

I am in north Everett near the college.
  10. Cutthroat_Fight New Member

Everett, WA, USA.

If you ever want to go fishing Jim let me know :)
  11. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,620 / 0

What do I know---I'm just an old man

I always want to go but I can't always get to go. If everything goes right tomorrow and the stupid school doesn't send any of them home and the weather doesn't turn bad I will be going out tomorrow (10/15/02). I patched my leaky waders this weekend so I'm ready to get out there and beat the water to a froth. 4 pin hole leaks.

Jim
  12. Cutthroat_Fight New Member

Everett, WA, USA.

I usually get home by 3:30 weekdays.
  13. westie New Member

Bainbridge Island, WA.
    Library

I have to agree with the old man on this one. The library is a great resource. The king county library has the $100 book that has been mentioned in this thread. Check it out! And it is free.

Jeff