Flyfisherman magazine "2012 tippet shootout"

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by pond monkey, Feb 10, 2014.

1. pond monkey

pond monkey Member

I don't know if this article by George Anderson's son John has been brought up on this forum…..I am having trouble uploading the link….some one far more tech savvy than me could upload it, or just "google" it…..pretty extensive research considering….

Enjoy PM

2. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

2012 Tippet Shootout - Fly Fisherman

I myself have been using blue label seaguars for some 10 or 15 years. It's not the best but I can get it for less $ than the top of line so it's good enough for me!

Kaiserman likes this.
  3. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...

Me too.

I finally found out, that the main difference between the different labels (Seaguar - Red, Blue, etc) is the consistency of the diameter throughout the line. I don't really care about that, and I don't think the fish do either. As long as the knots hold....

Remember, 100% fluorocarbon is 100% fluorocarbon. The quality of the consistent dia. may vary (very, very minor), but it's the same material.

I think the different labels of 100% fluoro is a marketing gimmick.

4. pond monkey

pond monkey Member

"Trout Hunter" and "Grand Max" are both "double structure"…. technically a bit different/ better in their composition and they are the strongest/ diameter apparently...

5. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Then why is Rio Fluoroflex 2x rated at 8#, and TheFfluoroflex PLUS limper and rated at 12# ??

pond monkey likes this.
  6. Kaiserman

To get all the details on that, you'd have to ask them.

My point was simply that (required by law) if it says 100% fluoro it's all the same material. Meaning the transparency levels are the same, UV resistant, etc. The diameters may vary a little, thus probably making the lb test vary a bit too.

Most people buy fluoro for it's "less visible" factor, (?)X fluoro is stronger than same size X nylon, abrasion resistance, 500 yr shelf life, unaffected by UV, sinks faster, little to no stretch, and memory resistance.

Since the early '00, they (different manufacturers) started to process it differently. This way they can market 4 or 5 different "levels of quality". I think that contributes to making the lb testing vary - that's a guess on my part.

Not sure that matters a whole lot (to most), unless you fish 7X.

7. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Many of the products that do not say %100 fluoro are a coated fluoro built line and I stay the heck away from them. They also cost less.

The reason I use fluoro is it does not reflect half as much light as mono does making it a lot less visible under the water. It does not shine, where mono does and can be seen twice as easy. I also have never liked the "X" factor for fly fishing tippet material products since each company has a different strength for say a 5-x tippet. One company it can be 6.4# and another 5.2# test. If you want to get the best for your money look at diameter+strength and find the thinnest, strongest, fluoro for the money. The next question is do you want to pay $14 to $15 for 25 yards of tippet from the best of the best or settle for a good deal for a good tippet and stick with it for years so you know what it will do and fish with confidence.

I know there is better fluoro than blue label seguar but that better fluoro cost way more. I can get blue label %100 for $8.50 for 25 yards without having to order it and get it over the counter 10 minutes from the house. If I bought it in 150 or 200 yards spools it would be much cheaper and really don't think for the "PRICE" and quality it can be beat.

No stretch of the fluoro is kind of a handy-cap I think because it does not take shock well and can brake on strong quick hook-sets when having to drop to lighter tippets when water is crystal clear. Kinda have to get used to it......

Kaiserman likes this.
  8. Kaiserman

Yeah... then there's what Mark just said. :)

Hey Mark, I had the "breakage" problem you mentioned years ago, when I first started using it. I read an article that explained there are certain knots that fluoro doesn't work well with. After learning that, I've only had one fish break me off - but I'm pretty sure it was my knot, because I was in a hurry when I tied it.

I only use the triple surgeons knot now (tippet), and improved cinch to the fly. Not sure what knots you tie, but I was pleasantly surprised out about that info.

9. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Everyone had problems when they switched from mono to fluoro I think. I know we first bought vanish because it was some of the first to hit regular outdoor stores and that stuff was crap, after about the 4th spring chinook broke off it went to the deep dark depths to never return or be used again. Most people grew up using maxima green or like me the dark maxima before ultra green came out. The problem with this is maxima line #8 pound is actually #12 pound line when tested - they just plain lie about it strengths so when people switched they all said 'WTF" and went back to ultra green. All fly tippets are pretty damn close to what they say the strength is and it can be a huge difference between lines like maxima and P-line or or stren.

I first read about seguar from a saltwater mag when fluoro wasn't even popular yet and figured if the best saltwater fisherman trust it than I would try it. had to adjust setting the hook when bait bobber fishing because of braking off to many fish at first but got used to it.

I may actually buy some premium tippet material "brake down and spend the money" for my still water steelheading this next summer. The fish are in crystal clear water for weeks and get very spooked and line shy and some of the real good fluoro tippet material is getting very thin and very strong! I don't think I need it for trout fishing. Most times I'm targeting 16 to 20 inch fish or above using #8 pound blue label with full flex rods for tippey protection but there are times when dropping to #6 can help with hook-ups but have yet to have to go lighter than that.

The first trip last summer that I figured out the stillwater steel last year I was by myself and used #8 blue label and landed 8 of 9 steelhead without playing the fish to long fast with the #8 but lost a fish pushing the #20 mark and wish I would have had #10 or #12 on. The next trip I took a friend and we used #10 and it seemed the bite was much slower, though we ended the day with 7 landed it took a lot longer to do so.

And I don't care what anybody says fluoro makes a big difference when it comes to clear water hands down! We tested and tested it for years over spooky stillwater steelhead under bobbers and when one person hooks ten with fluoro and the other person only hooks 1, well it doesn't take a scientist to figure it out!

10. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    I remember reading an article a couple years ago in a fly fishing magazine, I think, where they were interviewing one of the manufacturers of fluoro. He made a comment about fluoro tippet material for fly fishing being different than the fluoro you would use on a spinning reel, as it needed to have more stretch in it. So maybe not all fluoro is alike. Having said that, I just buy the big spools of fluoro 2 or 4 pound test for lake fishing and use that since it is much more economical than buying just fluoro tippet material.

Wayne

11. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    Good read. The stuff I've been using the past four years or so looks like it finished in the middle of the pack (Airflo sightfree). Breaks at the rated strength but must be a little larger diameter than the top rated brands. I started buying it because it comes on 50m spools that cost about the same as a 25m spool of Rio. I typically fish 2x or 3x for indicator stuff and 1x when stripping streamers. The brown in my avatar ate a seal bugger fished on a 1x fluoro sightfree tippet.

12. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Dang troutpocket and his heavy tippet. He keeps proving my lighter tippet theories wrong.