Flyfisherman vs. Hunters

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by flyfishnm, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hunter here

Grew up a hardcore hunter and fisherman. Have taken quite a few deer and elk. But, lost my desire to go out a few years ago. Too easy for the moron who decides he wants to hunt to go buy a rifle, ammo, and go shoot in the woods. I spend a good couple months tracking region I'm hunting. Then prepared to hunt. I was shot at almost ten years ago, and only occasionally go now. Only thing that saved my life was moron didn't have his gun sighted in.

See, personally, I find no problem in killing a fish, deer, elk, etc, as long as I USE what I catch. I don't care for those who slaughter and leave everthing behind. I grew up hunting and fishing to help feed my family. My parents were proud, and refused to take handouts nor aid. So, we subsidized our freezer with seafood and game. Dropping an elk or deer, or thumping a salmon or steelhead is not a problem. I can say this proudly, since when I did it, it was legal and perfectly ok. But I have probably thumped more wild steelhead then most on here (I say most). I learned to fish in a time that multiple wild steelhead was no problem. And we ate what we caught. I release all wild steelhead now. But I'd have no problem doing it. With hunters (and fisherman too) you either have it or you don't. Most people who hunt either get it in their blood after first pull/release, or never do it again. Hard to explain, only those out there who've been in those shoes understand.

2. vpons

vpons New Member

I used to hunt, back in France. Most of my trout flies are made of hair and feather that I got from the animals I killed.
    Vincent

3. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    You crack me up...

...innocent little questions...come on, get real. This isn't the first time you have stirred the pot. And let's look at what the responses really state, people's opinions. Last time I checked we are all still entitled to them.

Don't stand in the kitchen if you can't take the heat.

By the way, you do hunt, with a rod and reel.

Roper, fisherman, and bird hunter

4. Bright Rivers

Bright Rivers Member

Media:
    Catch & release hunting? Great idea! How about tranquilizers? Y'know, shoot a bear with a dart and wait until he goes to sleep. Then you could have your buddy take a photo with your head in his mouth or something. Bear wakes up an hour later, a little groggy, but otherwise fine. You had a great hunt and you've got a killer photo. This could be the next big thing. I think I'll look into getting a guide's license.

db

"If I don't catch them today, I'll catch them another day." Art Flick

5. Twilightman

Twilightman New Member

Ryan....ever notice that when you question the norm, you suddenly become a "cult member", a "radical" or a "vegetarian'? In other words, you have to agree with the majority in order for your opinion to be something other than stupid.
    Got a question........do you consider hunting a "sport",which by definition involves competition, or an "outdoor activity?'

6. jbrodie

jbrodie New Member

I just like using their fur,skin,feathers and hide to tie flies.
    :DEVIL

7. Luv2flyfish

Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

Avid flyfisherman and bowhunter for the last 9 years of my life. Took up both sports at the same time.

To each his own, its all about your own personal ethics. Regs are in place for a reason, its on the outdoorsman to either adhere to them or throw them to the wind. There are folks that do the wrong thing on both sides of the fence be it flyfishermen, hardware slingers (no offense to anyone), or hunters; bow and gun alike. Me personally, I catch em and let em go always, and if given a chance to put an arrow in the lungs of an elk - its Dinner Time!!! :COOK

8. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Media:
    The "intentionally killing animals" comment didn't really get you off on the right foot with me.
    Whatever floats your boat, I suppose.

9. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    being politically correct sucks

i shoot crows with my daisy bb gun. does that count?

~sean~

10. Dipsnort

Dipsnort New Member

I pack a long rod, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Since I elk hunted over the weekend, I might as well give my report.

Went to my usual little clearing before first light. When the sun came up, noted 8 other hunters in my clearing :AA Saw 2 herds of elk trot through clearings on the next ridge over, didn't see a dang thing during the morning that was close enough to shoot :HMMM About noon, watched a 4-point bull walk up to within 20 yards of me :EEK , but alas, the regulations say "spike only" :ANGRY . Saw nothing the morning of day 2, but I did take my rifle for a nice walk. :LOVEIT

Yep, another typical elk hunt for me :HMMM

11. SMiller435

SMiller435 New Member

I'm not into the whole killing thing.

Didn't really like the idea of the goose hunters parked under the Eagle's nest last time I went fishing on the Snoq.

Didn't see any signs of the Eagles that I love to watch, and was also not happy to hear gunfire while I was only yards away.

Wonder if those idiots killed my Eagles.....

You know those Bozos were just itching to shoot at something.

Let 'em go!

12. Dipsnort

Dipsnort New Member

I pack a long rod, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Idiots? Bozos? If you have some kind of a hunting violation to report, please do so, and feel free to hurl insults at the guilty party(ies) at will....if not, you're out of line with your name calling. Law-abiding hunters have as much right to be out there as you do. If you have a lick of sense, you'll wear some hunter orange while on the river during the season, or you'll find another place to fish temporarily :TSKTSK

And by the way, speak to any hunter, and they will tell you that if they ever saw someone shoot at an eagle, they would go ballistic (no pun intended). :REALLYMAD

13. XstreamAngler

XstreamAngler ...has several mistresses.

Media:
    Home Page:
    This card carrying member of the Cast and Blast fun squad says "Word" to that! Eagles are too damn fast to hit for that matter! Try Osprey! :THUMBSUP

14. Kaari White

Media:
    Ohh come on...Baby seals are MUCH easier to hit.. :TONGUE

15. Luv2flyfish

Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

There is a great deal of animocity(sp) building on this subject. Just my 2 cents, but I think there is an overall lack of knowledge and/or open mindedness about the other parties. This is a flyfishing forum yes, but a good majority of which also hunt. That wonderful day on the river where the weather is perfect, the hatch is coming off strong, and the fish are rising is indeed a great day. That perfect autumn morning in your hunting spot in elk country where the wind is in your face, there is not even the hint of anther person, and the animals are all broadside at 25 yards is equally tough to beat.

Maybe some should just take a walk into the high country and sneak in close and take a picture or something - its about the same as hunting just without the taking (of anything more than a picture). Maybe then we'll can learn to appreciate that there is more out there than just rivers and fish. Please dont take my post the wrong way......I love both sports. Take it easy on the folks that participate in something that you dont. Not all hunters are trigger happy, reg breaking bozos.

Tight Lines & Straight Arrows!! J

16. Ron Olsen

Ron Olsen Member

Ronbow
    Have been an active bird hunter and flyfisher here in Washington since I turned 12 many decades ago. Never felt there was a "vs" when I compared the two sports. I agree with all that it is much more the passage than the destination that keeps bringing back to the lake, river, ocean or swamp. Many a feather has gone from the bird to the vice and back to the lake. I thank God for each and every opportunity to get close to nature, expecially if with my 83 year old dad, or my two college sons. Wish my wife liked it better! I have been a volunteer with Ducks Unlimited for 14 years, and member of Trout Unlimited. Wish they (TU)were better organized (and I guess we could work on the acromym a bit...), as it is really important to me to put back more than I receive.
    This weekend saw our three generations in a duck blind, enjoying the colors of the birds reflecting brightly as the sun broke the horizon. We took a few for the BBQ, and I had time to swing by Nunnally on the way home. Only had two hours on the lake, but saw a beautiful sunset to bookend the day, chatted with a few like minded souls over a single malt and cigar and got to C&R 8 feisty rainbows. Hunting and fishing can go together really well.

17. Kaari White

Media:
    Goose hunters? Snoqualmie River? Are you sure about that? Just my experience talking, but I doubt there would be enough geese flying to the river to hunt.
    Please be courtious to those "idiots"...They very well could be Ducks Unlimited supporters who have managed to protect 10+ million acres of wetland habitat, from Canada to Mexico, which greatly benefits your precious eagles.
    It's pretty offensive that you somehow believe that hunters are trigger happy bozos that would take a crack at an eagle if given the chance. Poaching is not hunting...it's illegal and anyone who witnesses such an activity should report it to the poaching hotline as well as the local police.

18. Chris Bailey

Chris Bailey Member

Yes, another hunter/fisher here. However, I understand that it isn't for everyone. I can see how some wouldn't want to hunt due to the actual act of pulling that trigger and then having to tackle the job of preparing that animal, particularly big game. But, for a person who eats meat to think that they aren't directly responsible for the death of an animal is absurd and an unfortunate result of todays hands-off society.

I generally practice catch and release when I flyfish, but not because I don't want to eat that tasty little rainbow. I let them go because the population can't handle the impact of repeated harvest. I don't have a problem keeping fish when it won't hurt the fishery. I dont really understand the mentality of the 100% C&R folks. It is still fishing and fishing is hunting, so if the fishery can support it, that fish is dinner!

19. pilchuck steelie

pilchuck steelie New Member

ryan, read your post and scanned through the others. you definitely come across as concieted, self righteous, and anti hunting. after hunting and fishing for 39 years and making every effort to obey all game laws, and observe the rules of fair chase, i'm getting very tired of individuals like yourself who portray a holier than though attitude. whether you realize it or not you are also on the list of every animal rights group and slated for extinction. your ignorance obviously knows no bounds and has no shame. people like you will continue to sew discord and division in the ranks of sportsmen and will do so to feed your selfish egos and vain pride. my hunting and fishing is a private endeavor enjoyed by myself, and passed on to my 5 sons. killing is a part of it all whether it be fish or game. it also serves as my inspiration for decoy carving, fish carving and painting. the outdoors is therapy for my soul, a private communing with something larger than myself. before you unwittingly aid and abet those who desire to ban the passion of my soul, please understand that for me, i'd like you and others of your kin to go away and leave me alone.

20. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    Why in the world would you ask us this? This makes no sense.