Flyfisherman vs. Hunters

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by flyfishnm, Oct 25, 2002.

1. flyfishnm

flyfishnm Member

Media:
    I really don't know why I asked this question. I just wanted to see how many flyfisher's are also hunters. It was just sort of a spontaneous question. I asked one question, how many flyfishers are also hunters just to see if I am missing anything by not hunting. I didn't want to come off as concieted, and I really don't know why you feel that way. The title shouldn't of been "Flyfishers vs. Hunters", more like Flyfishers and Hunters, albeit, the title wasn't the question however. I express regret for starting this post, and I just wish people would stop ragging on me for asking a simple question, "are you also a hunter".

Sigh,

Ryan :HMMM :SHOCKED

2. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Media:
    Very well said, Pilchuck.

3. Dipsnort

Dipsnort New Member

I pack a long rod, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Oh, okay. Yeah, I'm a fly fisher and hunter :LOVEIT

4. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    WOW!!! After reading the responses I can not help but think about the "down" morale this board is showing lately. I read your post and got nothing negative out of it, just a simple question. Then again I do not hunt so maybe I do not have the knowledge or mindset to take offense to the simple question. I have always wondered the same question and am now very grateful I never posted it. It seems that lately everyone has been on the offense and the kind of board I first joined has somewhat become a thing of the past. I just wish people, no names and no offense to anyone in particualr, would relax a little and get back to the root of why this board was created and what originally made it a fun board to post questions on. I really have to think about my posts before I post them in fear that someone will interpret it the wrong way and get bent out of shape.

:pROFESSOR :DUNNO :CONFUSED
    ~Patrick

5. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ryan, if it's any help, I misunderstood. It's in your original wording, about "ratio", I got the impression you were comparing something. Anyway, for an answer; I was a bow hunter and gun hunter for many years. I became a fly fisherman in my twenties and eventually that took the place of hunting, and just about everything else too! I think that being a good predator makes one a good fisherman. If you have that stealth and stalking sense, you can get into fish in places that some others won't.Fishing is a kind of hunting too. I see many fishers that enjoy the hunting life. Without being snobbish or judgemental, I would rather not kill fish or animals either, but I sometimes do kill fish where it'as appropriate and allowed. I don't hunt anymore but I don't mind people doing so. Im sorry if you felt assaulted by my previous post on this- I certainly have no strong feelings about it, I just didn't understand. maybe I should have been more clear.

6. Cutthroat_Fight

Cutthroat_Fight New Member

I went to an elk camp last weekend for the first time. I have never hunted even though I grew up in Montana. Half expecting to see a scene out of an infamous movie which will remain to to be named. It was very suprising to see quite the opposite of what I was expecting.

The hunters I met were thoughtful, helpful, funny and considerate.
    The only uncivilized thing I witnessed was the result of pickled beans by the fire. Hey who doesn't get a little gassy when camping.

My view on hunters and hunting has changed forever after last weekend.