FlyFishing for Carp

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by flyfishnm, Feb 12, 2003.

1. flyfishnm

flyfishnm Member

Media:
    Come on guys, I know I am not the only one who specifically targets carp. In fact, I have developed some dries and nymphs that work for carp quite well. Don't be embarassed to discuss the hard fighting fish known as carp. Gimme some mail at
    flyfish_NM@yahoo.com
    if you want to discuss tactics/equipment/etc. Otherwise post some replies if you aren't too embarrassed.:D :7 :7 :rofl :rofl

2. SMiller435

SMiller435 New Member

I aint afraid to admit that the biggest fish I've ever caught on a flyrod have been carp - Lot's of them, and big ones (20-30 lbs) using my 9 wt.

BUT - Here's another thing I'm admitting...I did it using corn! That's when I lived in Michigan's Saginaw River area.

:D

3. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

Nothing embarasses me, I guess, certainly not carp. I have heard from a good source that carp are fun as hell and definitely worth targeting. Tell us what you are willing to tell and to hell with those snobs who can't find any interest in this. Carp would be big time if they were not so damn ugly. But then I learned that they were ugly and I should probably unlearn it.
    Europeans think they are delicious. As for me, I think it will be catch and release unless there are trout in the lake. If so, then it will be catch and toss up on the bank.}(

4. Piscator

Piscator New Member

Carp are great fun, and beautiful too.
    I've tried to target them many times and found it surprisingly difficult. What type of flies and tactics do you use?

Fish on!
    Piscator

5. Sparse Grey Hackle

Sparse Grey Hackle Member

Media:
    Man, I love fly fishing for carp! Its hard as hell! I only caught 2 this last year, one on a $5.00 Whitlock crayfish and another on sort of a modified wooley worm the carp guys call the "carp wooley." All day long next weekend I'll be tying flies at the "Fly Fishing Show" in Bellevue at the FFF booth. Come up to me and I'll make you one--unless I know that you'll never use it! Be advised stillwater carp fishing is a lot more difficult than stillwater trout fishing.

Since, I'm not really giving anything away by giving carp spots, here's some lakes with fish in the 30 lb range and some ideas:

The first two are found in the Seep Lakes (You know, right underneath Potholes Reservoir):
    1) Crescent Lake:
    To the immediate north of Crescent lake is an appx 25 acre seepage pond with an outlet into Crescent lake. If you go there in May you'll see more 30 lb carp "than you can shake a stick at!" At other times of the year, they're still in there "clooping." Let me warn you, there is no protection at all from westerlies.

2) Lower Goose Lake:
    Between Upper Goose Lake and Lower Goose lake is a connector stream. This thing is Carp County. Just don't be a klutz in there. Its shallow, Its clear. Its your fault if you don't sneak up on them and instead start whipping the water or fail to lead them with a cast. Carp County continues into the northern bay of Lower Goose Lake. You're gonna love this: Its 2.5' deep and fairly clear, with a underwater stream continuing from the inlet. Its spongy clay is sturdy and it's all pock-marked by "rooters and tailers." Wade fishing possibilities are endless. Good windprotection from all but southerlies.

3) The Windchester Wasteway near the Quincy Wildlife Area:
    You'll need a buddy for this one. You walk down a 40' incline to the Wasteway and wait with a clear intermediate line and a weighted pattern prepared for battle. Your buddy peaks over the edge of the trough above you and spots carp and does the whole bonefish thing--"Golden Boner at 12:00, 30 feet!" The carp tend to come and go with regularity in here. I assume that if you can just cool-it, and fight the strong urge to cast for 10-15 minutes, and stay still or do something passive (like enjoying tobacco products), they will come back. No protection from Northwesterlies.

-Sparse

PS-By the way, I challenge all of you to come up with the first "Pond Schmegma" dry fly pattern. I've got one for grass carp that looks like cottonwood seeds, but if you can imitate the schmegma they eat when they cloop, you will be my idol. Furthermore, MacRowdy will be so pleased that he will show you how to fish a 5" bunny leech.

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
    (Sir Izaak Walton)

6. Sparse Grey Hackle

Media:
    By the way, somebody told me something sweet this weekend about how to prepare carp.

There is much care that must go into preparing the common eurasian carp for the human pallette. First you will want to seperate the innards of the carp. The carp's innards are fairly mushy and most of its carrying weight is filled with eggs. The eggs have been said to be quite a delicacy in parts of Eastern Europe and Asia. A brine solution must be made using smoked rock salts, though imitation liquid smoked flavoring can likely be substituted. You need to prepare the whole thing on a large cutting board as the size of the fish and the ingredients can take up a bit of space. Separate the head from the rest of the body, though you can leave the fins if you wish. The carp has large scales that come off fairly easy with a common table knife. The meat can be pretty tough on older specimen, so you may want to tenderize it. Add the brine liberally over the carp and let it sit for 4 hours to soak in. Now, throw the carp away and eat the board!

-Sparse:9

(Sir Izaak Walton)

7. Dan Page

Dan Page Active Member

On a full moon night about 25 years ago on a large Midwest river I was camped on the bank fishing for catfish. It was springtime and the cottonwood trees had been dropping their fluff very heavily. Downstream a ways I kept hearing loud sucking noises on the surface of the water. Finally I crept downstream and could barely see that something was sucking the fluff off the water where it had collected behind a tree branch. I got my 6wt. and put on a little white wooden popper with a white feather tail. I waded out a little ways, and in the moonlight was able to get a cast that floated into the stacked-up fluff. Eventually something inhaled my little bug and took off after I set the hook. After a nice little battle I landed a carp. Can't really remember how big it was--probably 8# or so.
    Anyway, I caught a carp off the surface at night. Never caught one before or since on a flyrod but am sure it could be done. We caught alot of carp by accident back there when bait fishing and always killed them and threw them away. They were always fun and put up a good fight.

8. fly15

fly15 New Member

Thats great I really thought you were giving a carp recipe and after reading it I thought to myself who in there right mind would waste all that time preparing carp.
    I would like to catch some carp in the future and release them of course. Good joke sparse.:rofl

fly15

9. mr trout

mr trout Trevor Hutton

Media:
    here in the thriving metropolis of yakima we have lake aspen. located on the freeway and accessible only by private use of the gated community of richy houses around it or the mexican restaurant located on its shore, it constantly has carp around it like nothing else. Here's the funny part, they have grown accustomed to eating the tortilla chips thrown in the lake by the masses of small children on the dock. All this leads me to believe that if somehow i convince the restauraunt to let me go thru there with all my fishing gear and some corn chip flies, it could be quite a blast.....any suggestions?

Trevor

Money can't buy a perfect presentation

10. Sparse Grey Hackle

Media:
    Trevor:

I've got a suggestion for you. I live and work on Lake Aspen. I'll take you out on the lake. Buddy, there's more to Lake Aspen than eurasian and grass carp, let me tell ya. Just bring some medium-sized Dahlberg's.. By the way, I've got some nice tugs under the dock at Las Margaritas! Give me a private message, and I'll give you the scoop. Not much going on right now, though.

-Sparse

(Sir Izaak Walton)

11. flyfishnm

flyfishnm Member

Media:
    One of my biggest peeves is when people kill carp and toss them on the bank to let them rot. That just pisses me off.

On to the carp flies. I have tied a few dries specifically for carp. I have a few "cottonwood" flies in my aresenal.
    At first, I tried tying with polysester, which worked ok. Then I tried cotton, which was better than polyester, then I went to the real thing. I gathered some cotton that had fallen from the cottonwoods, and used that to tie the fly. Real "cotton" from cottonwood definatly works the best. I have also caught carp on small dries. I have also tied specific nymphs for carp, but that is a different story.
    I will post a picture of a nice carp I caught a little later, once I get off work.

~Ryan:7 :7

12. Brad Niemeyer

Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Carp are cool!

Last year my biggest fish was a 9 pound carp! I made a goal of hooking and landing one these scaly monsters and I found it rather easy after a little research...Banks lake has more carp than stars in the sky ..and some are easily 30 pounds...a good alternative if dry falls is slow...

One afternoon last May I figured out the secret and hooked three good sized carp one right after the other...I had to sit down and rest after that...

My 6 weight sage was doubled over and pushed to the limit...

Believe me...Carp can be fooled ...Rusty brown nymphs #10-12 have worked for me...If anybody has any carp spots they are willing to share or needs a carping buddy email me!

I'm determined to find carp within an hour's drive of Seattle ( please don't say greenlake)

Piscean
    Calmness is power....:thumb

13. rockymountain_brown

rockymountain_brown Senore Member

Media:
    Nice fish!
    Here in Colorado, not to many spots to flyfish for carp. In the southwestern portion, there is Navaho lake, which has mediocre fishing, except by some of the docks, where carp congregate like goldfish. I've even developed some food flies, like popcorn, and pink "hot dog" flies. It is amusing and they give upa good fight.
    Be nice to carp!
    RMB:D

14. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    Have you tried the middle lake on the Greenway in Yakima? I haven't but was told it'full of carp.

15. soreshoulder

soreshoulder New Member

carping is great fun. i personally love tiny little nymph patterns (size 20 pheasant tails). what a fight ---always way into the backing ... repeatedly. on the west side of the mountains green lake is a good bet if you dont snag a jogger (not my favorite). both carp and walleyes are the two fish i am the most interested in for this summers challenge. if anyone is interested in chasing them with me send an email. happy lip ripping.

16. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

RockyMtnBrn

Can you please post a picture of your "hot dog" fly. I gotta see this. The name alone is a hoot. Strange images start swerlling around in my mind when I read something like that.

17. recycle fish

recycle fish Guest

I am a strong carp fishing advocate. The biggest fish I have ever caught on any line, fly or mono, was a carp.

They saved the day on countless occasions in my pre-flyfishing days, so much so that I started targeting them specifically. Back on those sluggish, muddy little midwestern streams, I used corn a lot, but wouldn't think of it out here.

As I have become more and more exclusively a flyfisher and left the gear at home, I have not given up on the carp.

Rockymountain_brown - I caught some awesome ones this summer near Denver, if that's where you are, e-mail me and I'll dig up a map and try to remember where the spots were.

I have heard that Tapps is great for carp, but haven't experienced it, went to have a look at it and couldn't believe how ugly it is, I guess it's much better in the summer? Why does it draw down so low in the winter? I would think that the owners of all those fancy houses would hate having their docks over a sticky mud slick.

Anyway, enjoy those scaly monsters, but don't throw them on the bank (or any fish, for that matter), I bet you'd be real hard pressed to find a game warden who would fine you for letting one swim. I've always preferred the site of a fish - any fish - swimming away much better than listening to one flop around while it suffocates on the bank. It's a sad and ironic deal, but too many people keeping too many game fish seems to decimate their populations, but no matter how many (so-called) "trash" fish you throw on shore, you won't make a dent. You just make a stink and kill something in the process. (My humble opinion)

------------------

Reduce, reuse, recycle...it works for fish, too! Practice catch and release

18. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Media:
    Ahh yes, the Tapps.. Lake Tapps is drained every year because the levies have to dry out or eventually they'd fail. In the summer, it's a very different lake. My father lives on it, so I get the displeasure of visiting it on occassion. A lot of people use the lake cruising around on boats that go entirely too fast as well as the constant presence of jetskiers.

Carp are very plentiful, however. Last summer I caught one that went probably 4lbs off my dad's dock. He says they congregate when he feeds the ducks in the evening, at least 20 or so. Not sure how the public access is for carp fishing on the lake.

19. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    thief!!! I think I remember hearing that one last weekend also...where were you fishing??

LOL

~Patrick ><>

20. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    So.......basicly nobody is catching any steelhead!
    LB:rolleyes