FlyFishing for Carp

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by flyfishnm, Feb 12, 2003.

1. rockymountain_brown

rockymountain_brown Senore Member

Media:
    :eek:
    I live in Durango, I think ive been to this lake you speak of a few years ago. I've already broken a glass fly rod on carp, cant wait to break more!}(
    Carping is very enjoyable, the fish fight hard, and in my opinion are just as hard to catch as trout, especially when they are spooky.
    As for the infamous "hot dog" fly, I will try to take a picture of it and get it on later. Basically all it is:
    size 6-8 hook with lots of pink chennille wrapped like a cigar.
    Good fun!
    RMB

2. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    Lake Tapps may not be around much longer I hear. Its a man made lake that is used as a holding water for the electric company or something I belive and they are talking about doing away with because its to expensive to use. All the home owners are up in arms about since their high end homes would not longer be water front. There was an artical in the times about a year or so ago on and I spent a month dating a gal who lived by the lake who was explaining it all to me. I have not heard any more on since then. Not a big deal to me because I can not stand to fish while being buzzed by water skiers. I rather get away from the dang crowds not be in the middle of it all.
    As to Carp I will take any fish who can put up a fight. I have not caught one yet but it sounds like fun.

3. I lived in Moses Lake in 1974, and fished for carp every
    spring.A 1/8 oncce black jig on 6lb and sight fish them,
    there were so many that a guy from Spokane had a permit
    to fish them comercialy.
    My largest was 36lbs. out of Moses Lake.I would also fish Len Coulee and Rocky Ford. By the way the small
    carp 4 to 6lbs were excellent eating,take and filet them
    soak them in water with a salt and vinegar and fry in
    corn meal.I only caught one on a fly while i was crappie
    fishing a Skykomish sunrise with the wing cut off.

4. flyfishnm

flyfishnm Member

Media:
    When I started this post, I had no idea so many would be interested in carp flies. Would anyone be interested in a carp fly swap? I have never heard of one being done before, it could be a first.

~Ryan:D :7 :7

5. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

I wish to apologize to the carp boys about the remark I made about tossing carp up on the bank if the carp were competing with trout for habitat. Carp rip up weeds off the bottom and can make a lake a muddy hole. No weeds, no bugs; no bugs, no trout.
    I guess I do have prejudice about carp. You see, I was terribly scared psychologically by carp as a youth in Upstate New York. In those days, during the Big One, raw sewage was dumped from my town (Fulton) into the river (Oswego River). No one complained about this.
    I saw huge schools of 30 to 40 pound carp "feeding" at the sewerage outlet. The carp were wolfing down Hudson River Brown Trout like mad. I wanted to catch them but the odor would'nt allow me to do so.
    There are some things a boy should not see. This was one of them.
    But I've slowly healed from this trauma and I might be willing to toss a fly or two at them. What the hell, there's very little else these days.:thumb

6. RadBrad

RadBrad New Member

I have seen many carp around Evergreen resivoir near Quincy. Also quite a few people targeting them.

Brad

What-ever always means yes:smokin

7. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Small world. When I was younger, in my Upstate NY home town(East Irondequiot) we used to bow hunt carp in Irondequoit Bay. We would chum the shallows with canned corn and shoot 'em when they would come to feed. Needless to say this was not a catch and release proposition. But I was young and not yet wise...

I do remember giving some of our "catches" to fisherman who were unsuccessful (in more ways than one...).

Roper,

Truth above all

8. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Did you know...

The grass carp, also known as the white amur, is a vegetarian fish native to the Amur River in Asia. Because this fish feeds on aquatic plants, it can be used as a biological tool to control nuisance aquatic plant growth.

In some situations, sterile grass carp may be permitted for introduction into Washington waters.Permits are most readily obtained if the lake or pond is privately owned, has no inlet or outlet, and is fairly small. The objective of using grass carp to control aquatic plant growth is to end up with a lake that has about 20 to 40 percent plant cover, not a lake devoid of plants. In practice, grass carp often fail to control the plants or all the submersed plants are eliminated from the waterbody.

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife supplies a list of fish farmers when they issue a grass carp stocking permit. Recently the Nisqually Trout Farm located in Lacey, Washington has begun selling triploid grass carp to people with approved grass carp permits. Their phone number is: (360) 491-7440. Each 10-12 inch fish is $12.00 with the price negotiable with larger orders.

Roper,

Tie me, Fly me, Whip me, Strip me.

9. wrench

wrench Member

The area around the Tri-Cities is just overflowing with great carp ffing spots, and I indulge every time I am over that way! ( I live in Libby, Mt) I will be over that way come spring ( Family lives there) and will be carping if anybody in that area wants to go along I would love the company. Flies...a #8 woooly worm with little or no weight is all you really need, although I have several other patterns I use, YES, let's do a swap, and yes, ther have been other carp swaps that I have participated in. IF anyone wants the long story on technique and spots around Kennewick, let me know........gads, now you guys got me all excited thinking about spring and carp...