Flyfishing/Skiing in a day

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by flyfishnm, Oct 29, 2002.

1. flyfishnm

flyfishnm Member

Have any of you flyfishers out there ever done the prestigious double wammy? Although the somewhat prestigous golf/flyfishing in a day is somewhat rare, I do believe going skiing, then flyfishing is much more rare. Has anyone out there experienced the magic of both worlds in a day?

~Ryan

2. Tom Merrill

Tom Merrill Member

Back in the single college days.... AHHHH!

Morning skiing the powder of Sundance Ski Resort in Utah, followed by fly fishing the Provo River.

To quote the beer commercial: "You know guys, it just doesn't get any better than this."

Amen to that!

3. fishforfun

fishforfun New Member

The only way to go is to go for the Trifecta: Golf, Skiing, Flyfishing in a single day. Now that is awesome. :THUMBSUP

4. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

I've done the ski and sail in a day, when Crystal was open in July a couple years back. If you go BC skiing, you can fish/ski almost any day of the year. The ski/fish thang is easy in Western WA. How about upping it a bit? Sayyyy... Deep Powder and Native Steelhead? Hwy 2 would be the easy answer. Or Alpental and the Snoqualmie River. Mt Baker and the Nook or Skagit? Whistler and the Sqamish? It can be done! :THUMBSUP

Edit: spelling

5. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Well, I would think that one would have to set some goals for this, say shooting in the 70's, then skiing say 50,000' and catching a steelie.

Now there is a goal that should be attainable in a day. I dare you.

I would come along, but I am feeling my age, and I have Ironman Canada under my belt. And for such a set of events as easy as golf, skiing and catching a steelie, well, IMC is just a little harder.

Rob
    ---------
    Genetic pollution damages wild
    stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!

6. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

OK, since skiing powder and catching a native steelie in WA is easy, I guess I'll just hammer the IMC. At least I control my own destiny there. Wait, I hate physical pain! Never mind.

7. Scott Emmert

Scott Emmert Scott Emmert

Oh Yah,

One day last winter. Was on the MF Snoqualmie from about 8:00 to 11:00 dragging tiny nymphs over rocks, hit the slopes at Snoqualmie Central from about 12:30 - 6:00, and met my wife at 8:00 in North bend for dinner and a movie. It was a beautiful thing. Boy did I sleep well that night.

Happy Trails,

Scott Emmert

8. Greg Moore

Greg Moore New Member

Skiied White Pass from 9-1 and fished the Yakima from 2-4.

When I lived in So. Cal. I used to ski Big Bear in the morning (in April, in shorts and a tee shirt) and played golf that afternoon. I was a lot younger then, also!

Greg

"In our family, there is no clear
    line between religion and fly
    fishing" Norman Maclean

9. XstreamAngler

XstreamAngler ...has several mistresses.

Ya Just know I had to add mine! March 02, Ski Sun Valley Idaho from Lift opening to noon, drove over to the Salmon River, hit steelhead until dark, even 2 hours beyond until my line started to freeze to my gloves. Drove back to Sun Valley, got drunk, passed out, got up and did it again the next day. Too much work if ya ask me!

SAK
    Xstream :THUMBSUP

10. Scott Rethke

Scott Rethke Member

You guys are going to make me feel like a living legend, especially you "fishforfun". Down at Mt. Bachelor/Bend I did the illustrious triple: fish, golf and ski.

A great day that ended with some tired quads in a hot tub.

11. Last February met up with an old Oklahoma State U frat buddy of mine in Breckinridge, CO. We took a guide out to the south fork of the South Platte. It was the middle of Feb, so we worked our asses off throwing downstream mends and size 20-22 thread-body midges and I landed only a fish, a pretty snake bodied Brown of 15". Hit the slopes in the evening. After that we drank whisky/beer and b.s.'d in a hot tub with some fun lovin' chicks and then took em' out to a cigar bar.

Beat that!

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
    (Sir Izaak Walton)

12. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

On our honey moon, we went to a gorgous lodge in BC. We took a float plane to a remote lake and caught so many fish so easily it was rediculous. Not too many guys get as much, well lov'in, and as much fish'in in one day as they could possibly want, then go and do it again the following day :THUMBSUP

Now it's kind of unrealistic to wake up at 4am and expect some attention from the wife before a full day of fishing, but when it happens, your day is just that much better - even if it's 20 degrees out and you don't touch a fish all day... Well, maybe when I get old I'll have to start thinking about golf :TONGUE

13. flyfishnm

flyfishnm Member

Something I should of posted in my first: Is it possible to flyfish,ski,and golf 18 holes in one day?? That would be the best day of my life especially if I caught something while fishing. :LOVEIT

14. Tom Kittridge

Tom Kittridge "TomK"

Tom

It's actually pretty easy if you do cross-country skiing -- Just hit the Iron Horse trail that parallels the Yakima. It's flat, easy skiing, and when the trail gets close enough to the river, just ski on over and do some fishing!

15. troutski

troutski New Member

Absolutely possible and Whistler Mtn. would be the place to nail this "trifecta". Don't know how early golf starts up there but the courses are snow free (generally) by 3rd. week of March. Skiing can be sensational in April and I have skiied foot deep powder as late as the 21st of April. Skiing goes on even after that but you won't ski down the entire mtn. - need a lift ride to return to base area. Local Rivers are the Squamish and Lillooett and there are guides at Whistler who specialize in the flyfishing experience up there. Might even have time for a 10 mi. Mtn. Bike ride?? Yeahhh! :THUMBSUP

16. troutman101

troutman101 Member

I got one for you...

Hike to Olympic R.S. on the Hoh, ditch rods.

Hike to Glacier Meadows and ditch camp.

Hike to the summit of Olympus and just becore the summit pyramid, ditch tele skis.

Summit, ski the glacier to camp.

Hike back to Olympic and pick up rod.

Fish on the way out.

Allow 5 days.

An easier on would be ski Steven's Pass on Cowboy Mtn or Wenatchee Ridge and stop off at the S.F. of the Sky on your way home, I've done this plenty of times.

The other one would be to Ski Whitehorse Glacier one day and the next fish the Stilly.

You could also do Blackcomb and the Squamish on the same day..

Let me know if you want a partner this winter, I need more folks to do B.C. runs with. Have probe and shovel and peep...will hike.

Have Spey Rod...will wade.

17. Greg Moore

Greg Moore New Member

Depending on how much snow there is in April in Yakima, you can ski White Pass, fly fish the Yakima and play golf at Apple Tree.

Greg

"In our family, there is no clear
    line between religion and fly
    fishing" Norman Maclean