Flyfishing Sling Pack

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Rick Sharp, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Rick Sharp Member

West Richland, WA 99353
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Not really liking the vest much anymore and never had much luck with waist packs either, I noticed Ovis has a sling pack and maybe that might fit the bill. However before dropping the 80 for the pack, which seems high but might be worth it, I am curious what others think or what do you use nowadays for light stream trips.
    Thank
    Rick

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2
  2. Brian White Recovering Bugmeister/Troutlandish?

anti-left handed consipracy. IMO, they usually don't work as well for lefties.
  3. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +215 / 1
    I have a Patagonia and love it!
  4. Codioos Active Member

Spokane
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    Patagonia pack is awesome
  5. steelydan Newb seeking wisdom

Sammamish WA
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    I have the Orvis Sling Pac and love it.
    I might have bought the larger Guide Sling Pack or the Patagucci Stealth Atom.
    I sure don't miss my vest or chest pack.
    Yes, it is a right-handed setup(sling it under your left arm)
  6. Nathan Weston Member

Bellingham, WA
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    I picked up my Orvis sling pack last summer and I'm loving it. Just big enough to hold all the essentials, without being bulky. I can wear it all day without any strain on my shoulders.
  7. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +343 / 1
    I have been using an Orvis sling pack for several years. I use it almost exclusively even though I have a nice vest and a waist bag. It carries everything I need and doesn't tire me out.
  8. cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Arlington
    Ratings: +331 / 0
    I still use a waist pack but have considered a sling pack. If I go that route I think I'll try something marketed for law enforcement. Something similar to this one...
    http://www.qmuniforms.com/5-11-tactical-series-s-e-r-e-bag
    Law enforcement catalogs have a lot of cool bags that would work.
  9. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Ratings: +350 / 0
    I will third
    the Patagonia sling.
    I have a Patagonia atom sling and it is super clean and well thought out. Availability may be difficult unless you order directly from patagonia.
    cheers,
    Dave

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
  10. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +686 / 0
    I'm a lefty & the Orvis pack works well for me. I use a vest occasionally, but the sling pack and a lanyard works fine.
  11. Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +153 / 0
    Patagonia Atom Stealth user. Very happy- and I'm even left handed.
  12. Rod Wittner Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +69 / 1
    Hey Rick. I have the Orvis sling and I really like it a lot. I am a lefty too, and I have no issues with it. If I were to do it again, I would get the larger Guide model tho.
  13. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +410 / 17
    I owned the patagonia sling atom pack and it wasnt big enough. Now I have the Orvis Guide Sling and love it! you wont beat it for fishing rivers. Great for spey fishing too keeps everything out of the way. Dont make the mistake of buying the smaller sling. Spring for the bigger one or you will regret it.
  14. Steve Vaughn Member

Richland, WA
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    My wife laughs at my obsession with gear hauling paraphernalia. I have an Orvis Super Tac-L-Pac, Orvis Sling (original model), Filson chest pack, and recently got a waist pack from LL Bean. Got fed up with how tired I'd get lugging around all the vest would hold (not smart enough to leave a pocket empty - hell no). So went to the Filson and used that quite a bit, though it always seemed to be in the way when playing a fish. The sling is comfortable with a lot of freedom of movement (a lefty that fishes right handed) but I never got comfortable in getting the right arrangement of fly boxes to load it the way I wanted it. Finally, the waist pack isn't really doing the job and that seems to me more a function of the way this one is built rather than waist packs in general. The funny thing is by the end of the season I'm always going back to the vest. Everything is where I want it but I still haul too much in it. I'm probably happiest though when I am fishing from my kayak or pontoon with no gear aside from nipper, tippet and hemostats on my person. Everything else is in the cargo bags.

Oh, I got my first lanyard for my birthday and I'm liking that quite a bit. Don't know if I'll ever figure it out, but it is nice to have an assortment of carrying devices and going with whatever I feel like that day.

Steve
  15. boroflyer New Member

Ratings: +4 / 0
    I ordered the orvis sling last night. Can't wait to try it out.

I got a Simms waist bag a month or so ago and I'm up in the air about it. This sling is hopefully what I'm looking for.

I didn't see the "guide" option on there site.?? Hope mines big enough.
  16. John Wallace Active Member

Bellevue,Wa.
    Ratings: +62 / 1
    My vote is Vedavoo sling. I have been a fanny pack guy for a long time. I saw there sling and was able to get one this year. It is the best thing I have got to hold everything I want. I have now switched to a sling. I love it.
  17. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +567 / 0
    I've had the Orvis Sling Pack for a couple years. I do like it, but I also carry too much stuff. If I carry two large fly boxes and a camera (no lunch) it gets pretty full. The newer model may be better. Also, mine is not waterproof and does get wet in the rain (make sure you have a waterproof camera). And, if you fish in the saltwater and have to wade up to your waist, it could get wet if you don't have it high enough on your back. With that said..... I still like it. It slips out of the way nicely, it carries a net (for trout fishing) nicely, it has a place for forceps and is comfortable. I use it for saltwater only fishing cutts or salmon.
  18. boroflyer New Member

Ratings: +4 / 0
    Just saw the guide option. Guess I didn't scroll down all the way. Think I should exchange?
  19. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +410 / 17
    I would. I can carry a ton more with the guide pack.If you must have a waterproof sling LL Bean makes one that looks decent.
  20. Phil Fravel Friendly

Bonney Lake
    Ratings: +96 / 0
    I use the Camera bag made by Sage brush. It is truly water proof, and the perfect size for me. I put one of those net magnets on the base of the bag and and the other half of the magnet on the D loop on the back of my waders. It keeps the bag behind me until i need it.