Flyfishing the Baja Peninsula (and other warm water pursuits)

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Willie Bodger, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Lynnwood, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    So, I'm looking at actually begin able to do a short self-run fishing trip to a warm-water destination and now begins the fun. Is there decent fishing around the tip of the peninsula from shore? Is there a better location with just general good wading access, not real picky about what species, but would like to get into some fish that would be fun on my 9 wt OR know that my 6 wt is a good rod for my location. Thanks!

Willie
  2. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    Rent a panga! Fishing from the shore is tough, and you'd be limiting yourself. Why go to a deepwater destination, and fish from shore?

You can get a nice panga for $180, and that's for use from 7 am to 1 pm. They're basically $30 per hour. Gas, captain/guide, and gear if you need to use it (not fly gear). Bait excluded. I'd pop for $10 and buy some sardinas for chum. You can get a panga cheaper, too, but the nicer boats that are more reliable and come equipped with someone who can somewhat understand English are those in the $180 range.

A stout fast action 9 weight would be somewhat adequate. For me, a stout 10 weight is about minimal.
  3. gt Active Member

sequim, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    the area called the 'east cape' north of los cabos is the place for beach walking and fishing. hiring a panga for a day or two would also be a good investment assuming the fishes are about. 7-10wt is what i would be packing along. i must admit, however, i normally grab the 10wt in this sort of circumstance. intermediate off the beach for sure. out of a panga the intermediate backed up with a T-14 system is hard to beat if the fish go down on you.
  4. flyfishnm Member

Helena, MT
    Does anywhere on the Baja fish halfway decent in late March?

I am possibly looking into a small vacation around late March and was thinking about Baja, but I have heard that the fishing really doesn't heat up until June, would I just be wasting my time?

Thanks,
    Ryan
  5. gt Active Member

sequim, WA
    typically the warm ocean currents are pointed at mainland mexico. once they collide with those beaches they then tend to flow north but up the eastern side of the sea of cortez. once they get to the northern terminous, they start flowing south along the baja pennisula. that is typically why later in the calendar year the fishing is better in the sea of cortez along the baja coastline. that would be north of la paz up around loretto or thereabouts. i usually plan this trip for early to mid august. off season rates, HOT, only fisherpeople around along with dorado.

having said that, however, warm water can often be found quite close inshore down at the cape.
  6. Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Lynnwood, WA
    So, I'm kind of in the same boat as flyfishnm, I was looking at March, but I would really like someplace (doesn't have to be Baja) where I could find decent fishing for a shorebound angler, but definitely going for a warmwater destination. I may be showing some ignorance here (oh well), but what about Nasau, could I wade (and find fish) down there?

And the Dorado, would I really want/need a Panga to go for those on the Baja?

Willie
  7. gt Active Member

sequim, WA
    dorado are an off shore fish. you are not likely to find them prowling the beaches and therefore the water you could cast too.

march is a tough time to find much unless you head closer to the equator. the bahamas are way overpriced, take lots of time to reach and don't provide much wade access to boot.

if i were going to try a march trip, i would probably look toward costa rica on the pacific side. but again, the wade part of this makes fitting the equation pretty difficult.
  8. Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Lynnwood, WA
    Good to know, thanks for the info. What if I went in January, does that make a difference? So, if I want to be able to do wading for decent fish early spring isn't a good time to target them, huh? If I were to wait until August/September are there better options then? Again, thanks for the help on this.

Willie
  9. tyler Member

Ballard
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    caribbean can be windy in march. that said, how 'bout belize? bones and permit are consistant there year 'round.

florida is also an option. fly into miami, rent a car and explore the keys. lots of easily accessable water down there. gulf coast can be good, too.

IMHO, no matter where you go it's gonna be challenging to step off the plane and find fish on your own. not impossible, though.

good luck

t
  10. Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Lynnwood, WA
    Hmm... Right now I'm thinking Belize. I have a friend with family there that has said I can stay with them up in Corozal. Maybe find a guide for my first day and then just have at it! Or maybe just stay here and work... I vote for Belize! Thanks for the input folks!

Willie
  11. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Boy, temperature drops a little below 50F and Willie starts looking to bail. What kind of a wimpy guy are.....hmmm...., bonefish in March, hmmmm, damn, Willie, that does sound pretty sweet. I'll get back to you, I want to call my travel agent.
  12. gt Active Member

sequim, WA
    didn't belize and the offshore atolls get hammered this huricane season??? best to make a couple of phone calls. these flats are pretty much a poled boat show.

florida keys fish the best late may into early june. finding any flat to walk on is going to be difficult and the guides down there are expensive folks.

i'd just bit the bullet, plan an august trip to loretto and have a great time catching lots of different fishes. still one of the best value trips out there.
  13. gt Active Member

sequim, WA
    the nov/dec issue of fly fishing in saltwater just made it to the top of my reading stack. pick up a copy, may just have a great suggestion for a quick baja getaway thats not very far, rossarita.
  14. Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Lynnwood, WA
    Yeah, I saw that, but 13-15" surf perch wasn't exactly what I was looking for, bt in a pinch, it is warm. I also talked with Ron at AATF and he mentioned some places that could be pretty good (and cheapER) in January.

And Jim, I wanted to get some good ideas figured out and then see when you were available... ;) Let me know...

wb
  15. islandfisherman islandfisherman

Anacortes,Wa.
    Willie,Baja is the place to go for anyone on a budget,there are camp grounds all the way down,hotels also(mind you the hot water is sometimes a little on agian off agian),but that is what makes Baja so fun.Bay of L.A. on the gulf side is fun,also there is a little farming/fishing village to the west of Santo Tomas,ask at the gas station/store,it's over the hill.Having gone down to Baja for the past 30 years,racing the Baja 1000 etc..,the one thing I can tell you is that the people are very nice once you get away from the cities,they speak a little english and if you try to speak spanish all will work out...also NEVER pass up a Pe-Mex(gas) station as the one down the road might not have any fuel,get paseo's for the gas as they round up and never make change.If you hunt,clean out the truck or car as even one .22 shell will get you a trip to jail !!!...have fun, and if you know about all of the above sorry...Alan
  16. livetofish Fish to Live

Northwest WA
    Flyfishnm and Willie -

For eight years of flyfishing reports and pics from Baja in March, look here:

http://www.womensflyfishing.net/trip_reports.html

Check out the top of the page for links to this and previous years' Baja reports going back to 1998. Plenty of good fishing to be had in March. For more info, also look into Baja on the Fly at http://www.bajafly.com/ They have a discussion board too...

Cheers
  17. Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Lynnwood, WA
    Sweet, thanks for the info gents! I just found out that my brother is getting married in Italy in October so I may have to make the decision to fish or go to his wedding... Or maybe fish in Italy? I don't know, I still want to do the Baja peninsula even if it's just a long weekend...

Willie