Flyfishing within ~3 hours of Redmond

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jesper, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Jesper

Jesper New Member

Hi there,

A work trip is taking me to Redmond for next week and I'm hoping to spend the weekend 14/6--17/6 getting a little bit of fishing in. I would ideally like to do some river/creek flyfishing with dryflies or nymph close to the surface and preferably from land/wading.

The suggestions I have so far are upper stretches of Yakima or Rocky Ford Creek. Does this sound like a good idea, or are there other candidates?

I was also thinking of getting myself another rod as I understand they are a more affordable in the US (compared to Europe) and wondered if anyone can recommend a good tackle shop in the Redmond area?

Best regards Jesper

2. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

rocky ford is pretty boring in comparison to the yak. Basically a kiddie pool style creek with monster trout vs washingtons only blue ribbon trout stream. try looking up some of the yakima river tribs on a map (any that are open will fish just fine) drive up, get out, fish, repeat until sleepy, and then let us know how YOU did. which by the way, it would be one of the few times a new member posted a follow up after asking for info.
    also, the avid angler would be the closest local fly shop, not including orvis in bellevue. I believe you can look that up on google (presuming you have internet access and hands.) good luck

3. tbuss

tbuss Member

The South Fork and the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie River would be the closest, but the Middle Fork is usually too high to fish well in mid-June. I haven't been to either so far this year so cannot comment on their condition.

4. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

One thing Pat, Rocky Ford will require less gear to fish this time of year than what the Yak does. I believe the water level is up for the Yak and should be easier fishing from a boat than from shore.

5. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

The upper Yakima is too high for wading. Even the section below the diversion dam, that can at times be the only safely wadable stretch, is really cookin' with gas right now. Currently at 830 CFS according to this USBR gauge:
    [​IMG]
    USGS/USBR Stream Flow Gauge:
    YAKIMA RIVER AT EASTON WA.

The South Fork of the Snoqualmie is indeed another good bet, but lately the flows are up a bit, and it's likely a nymphing game, and by reports I've seen is indeed producing best on nymphs. Here's another gauge for you for the upper South Fork Sno. I like to go for dry fly fishing when it is 250CFS or less, to give you a comparison. Currently it's at 699CFS.
    [​IMG]
    USGS/USBR Stream Flow Gauge:
    SF SNOQUALMIE RIVER AB ALICE C

I have only fished the North Fork a few times, so can't really help ya there.

If you don't mind driving a fair ways, Rocky Ford is a hoot! Be prepared for true spring creek fishing to educated rainbows that can pretty much tell you who tied the fly as it floats by. I like fishing #16 olive scuds, #20 midge pupa, #18 pheasant tails, #18 hares ears when nymphing. I'm not sure what's hatching right now but if I had to guess I'd say you may well run into PMD hatches, which can be prolific, possibly still baetis hatches in the faster water sections, and as always, hatches of tiny midges. Delicate patterns work well fishing these hatches - think emergers in or below the film. For the midge hatches, good luck to ya... they typically are #22-24 midges and you need a fine emerger pattern in the film to truly be successful fishing dry on the midge hatches.

I'm feeling nice, so, figuring perhaps you tie your own flies, here's the midge pattern that I tie in #22 and 24 for spring creek hatches:
    http://washingtonflyfishing.com/for...merger-for-those-who-asked.80794/#post-751928

Good luck, be sure to come back and post a report!

6. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Both the Yak and RF have their fanboys. But fishing either will require a lot of driving, which is time you won't spend fishing. The term 'a lot' is subjective. Figure about two hours to RF, one to the upper Yak.

The Yak around Cle Elum is running clear but high thanks to runoff from this years huge snowpack.

Instead I'd second the suggestion to fish the Snoqualmie forks. They're high too, but at least they're close.

K

7. dp

dp ~El Pescador

what about the Cedar River?

8. Jim Speaker

Good point. Flows are good on the Cedar right now. Loads of access points, too. I've never found it to be a great dry fly fishery, and I stay on the dark side there most of the time.

Gary Knowels likes this.
  9. steelydan

steelydan Newb seeking wisdom

Cedar may fish well, but I would be concerned about the cultural experience our visitor may get.
    Upper Yak/Cle Elum would be my vote.
    Creekside Anglers in Issaquah is a nice local shop for gear.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  10. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

I couldn't agree more. Between the car break ins, urban congestion and noise, and confrontations with Bubbas who think the regs don't apply to them, I can't think of any place I'd rather NOT fish.

K

11. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

I won't left people telling you that you can't wade stop you from fishing the Yakima.
    If you are willing to hike around, there are places you can fish effectively without getting your feet wet (hint...rock rip raps).
    If the water is up, fish tight to shore and you can have good success.
    You'll also save lots of driving time as well versus going to Rocky Ford to fish for pond monkeys.
    SF

dbfly likes this.
  12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I used to fish the Yakima around behind the Easton Ponds. It has always been easy to wade there.

NWstonefly likes this.
  13. Jesper

Jesper New Member

Thanks a lot to everyone who has posted suggestions. People seem to be a little divided on Yakima and Rocky Ford so maybe I'll try them one day each. The drive is not too much of an issue as I plan to drive there once and stay locally for the weekend.

Thank you to Jim for your midge pattern. I do indeed tie my own flies, but didn't bring the equipment on this trip. I'll have to wait for another time. I have a few jassids lying around that might work, and will easier to see. There is also a swedish pattern called "super puppan" that is a low floater and might work in small sizes.

I followed the link to water flow information that Jim sent and if I can interpret it correctly it looks like the flow is on its way down, no?

Jesper

14. Jim Speaker

You are reading it correctly. Both watersheds are seeing lower flows. Good news!

15. JP2

JP2 Member

Jesper;
    If you're going to be at the 'Lazy M' in Redmond (sorry, that's an PNW inside joke) you might try to connect with anglers there..someone may even have a boat, a big plus! Creekside Anglers in Issaquah is a great shop as is Orvis, another possibility might be some beach fishing on the Sound. It's abit tricky but either of these shops can recommend a guide,if you want to go that way...Where are you coming from? J2

16. Jesper

Jesper New Member

First of all,

a big thank you to all who gave me suggestions.

In the end I decided on Yakima and waded on my own for ~2 days and had a guide and boat for half a day. The river is incredibly beautiful, quite possibly the most beautiful river I have ever seen. The water was crystal clear and in several spots I could see the trout standing at the bottom. I also saw herons, a beaver, and owl and snakes. Quite a collection of wildlife for someone living in the UK.

The fish did not fancy my flies though, except for this years babies who wouldn't leave my dries alone. It was especially frustrating/exciting in the spots where I could see the fish but where they studiously ignored all my attempts.

It was also interesting to reflect a little on the difference in fishing in my birth country (Sweden) and the US. My difficulty with wading the Yakima was to get to the river and in miles of river (downstream of Cle Elum) there were only a handful of spots where I could access the river without trespassing. With swedish eyes it seems like a little bit of a waste of natural beauty that access is so relatively limited.

In Sweden (and all of Scandinavia) there is a "right to roam" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam) which means that anyone can access any land as long as it is done responsibly. So when fishing a river in Sweden or Norway I'd spend all day walking up and down the river and fishing the spots that look good. Some days when there are no hatchings it almost turns into a hike more than a fishing trip.

Again, a big thank you to you all. I will definitely try to return as the natural beauty of the area was truly amazing.

Jesper

Pat Lat likes this.