Foam flys

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Bluegill kid, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Bluegill kid

Bluegill kid I may be young but I can catch fish

What are some good all around foam flies or foam trout flies. I have a lotof different color foam and some #12 long shank hooks that I want to experiment with...
    pictures welcome
    thanks

2. the chernobyl ant is a proven pattern and is easy to tie.

3. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

My foam collection keeps growing too. I need to find a 2mm sheet of olive at a craft shop.

I tied a foam October caddis for the 2006 Summer Steelhead Swap. You can find it at www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=13499&cat=18238.

Also, I often substitute foam instead of dubbing in tying the abdomen of grasshopper and stonefly patterns.

Steve

4. Michael Brady

Michael Brady New Member

Foam Hoppers and stones (including egg laying variety). Foam humpies. Foam Caddis. Foam ants and beetles and bees. Foam everything.

Great versatile stuff.

5. earlsmith

earlsmith Member

I like the foam hoppers and salmon flies, I have been searching for a good foam stimulator or ehc, but as they are easy ties, it depends on the current of the water I'm fishing as to using / tying them.
    You may find the toughest part about many foam paterns is hiding undesirable wraps when building the fly, and anchoring the hook in the "down" position, I have made improvements in hiding unwanted wraps, but havent found great ways of combating the shank rotation. Some say glue, but you may interupt your vice time unless you take a fly to this stage and glue it to be set aside for later completion.

My two cents

Earl Smith

6. Warren Perry

Warren Perry Grizzly 6

I like to tie my stimulators with a foam body. I cut a thin strip of foam and "dub" it around the hook shank to form the body. They float well.

Warren

7. always on top

always on top Banned or Parked

Way to go...stimulate the top...TOPWATER!!!!!!