For all the Pass lake guys

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Daryle Holmstrom, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Don't forget that there are Boone and Crockett crayfish in there. Fish and game had a commercial fishery in the 70's with some six inch tails being caught. You can keep them if I read the regs right from May 1 until Oct. 31,

Daryle

2. bwillroll

bwillroll Member

curious...do trout eat crayfish?

3. PeteM

PeteM Member

Yes. They eat the smaller ones. I'm not sure the browns would target ones with 6" tails though. As a high schooler, a group of guys and I use to snorkel pass lake. There are some large crayfish in there by the rocky areas along the road.

4. rainbow88

rainbow88 Member

They do. I saw the stomach of a 18" rainbow cut open once, and inside was most of crayfish.

5. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

...big trout eat crayfish, and Pass has big trout. I'd try finding prime crayfish habitat (don't know much about them) and dragging a weighted olive woolley bugger in sz 1/0 along the bottom.

6. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

Yes trout and small mouth bass will eat crayfish. Trout will eat small crayfish. That's why they have crayfish flies (now that is quite mix flies & crayfish :rofl: ).

Keith

7. CovingtonFly

CovingtonFly B.O.H.I.C.A. bend over here it comes again

My buddy said that he saw the family of three otters out there last weekend and they were eating what he thought were crayfish because he heard them crunching. I'd try a crayfish pattern, maybe you could catch an otter!

8. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

We used to catch those every summer when I was a kid at lake Bonaparte when I was there at scout camp.

We would fill our entire water trough with a pine cone stuck in the drain so it would let water trickle out and then we would leave the water barely on to keep it full of oxygenated water.

Then at the end of the week we would have a couple hundred crayfish in there and 15 or so of us would feast!

9. Bill Dodd

Bill Dodd Bill's in a time out.

Yes there a ton of Crayfish in Pass Lake my wife and I put traps down a dozen times or so while fly fishing Pass Lake in 2004 & 2005.
    We never scored any larger than 6 inches total size but the traps we used were small and it would have been hard for a large crawdad to get inside. but at the same time we had no problem getting plenty of dads for dinner. I think we caught 140 one day.
    Big lake and Clear lake on Hwy 9 have a commercial trapper working them with 150 traps on one lake. Or so it was a few years back. Pretty cool.

Attached Files:

10. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

YES! Of course they do, the woolybugger is a spectaculaer imitation, btw. Crayfish are the number two food item for large trout in most bodies of water, next to sculpins. I love fishing crawfish patterns, you gotta make em rise and then let it fall, in about 1 foot increments. Remember, they swim tail first with their claws TOGETHER, and when they slow or stop they separate and pulsate.

11. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

You will also find a bunch of those "mud bugs" in Strawberry lake. MMmmmm, good!

LB

12. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

While trout do certainly eat sculpins and crawfish, I believe they're eaten more opportunistically than anything. Even diets of large trout are probably dominated by insects.

13. Islander

Islander Steve

One of my Pass Lake favorites. :thumb:

14. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Check the autopsys(spelling) my friend, taxidermists will tell you other wise, big browns (30'') are commonly found with multiple small trout in them, as in 8" to 10", plus all the sculpins and crawfish. The whole trout eating thing is more inconsistent, but the sculpins and crawfish remain 1 nd 2.

15. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Big browns are predominantly piscivorous, but I bet they eat the hell outta crayfish...

Big ole 6" bushy-ass cattail-lookin' brown stringleech pulled along the mudbug habitat might not be a bad way to go.

Mark

16. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

I Guess I meant the size you caught, I borrowed a commercial prawn pot from an Alaskan prawn fisherman and caught about 300 in one soak, my six year old son just about climbed out of the 8 foot Columbia at the time when a couple escaped with the claws at full attack. But we munched on the thumb size tails. Boiled for 15 minutes in salt water. They are probably still there and the Browns still crunch them. Just wanted to let some fellow fly fish persons for some other patterns for Pass.

Daryle

17. SuperSecretCIA

SuperSecretCIA Be Like Mike!

Reminds me of one of my favorite memories from Pass Lake…

One morning after a couple hours of rewarding fishing, I beached my pontoon boat at the south end launch area and decided to have a nice relaxing lunch on shore. I had arrived early and had parked my crew cab closest to the lake, so I just flipped down my tail-gate and set my strung up fly rods in the bed of my truck. As I sat there enjoying my sandwich I noticed that something else was looking for lunch. I watched a nice Brown cruising the shore looking for minnows. After observing his feeding pattern for a few minutes, I decided to make a few casts while sitting on my tail-gate. The Brown was polite and at least looked at some of my offerings, but no hook-up. I was content to watch the Brown do his hunting, but then I remembered that I had tied some of Gary Borger’s “Fleeing Crayfish” patterns. I thought why not? I quickly tied the crayfish on and cast it out to settle on the bottom and wait for the Brown to return. Mean while another fisherman pulled into the parking lot and asked me how I was doing. We chatted for a while, then I noticed my Brown returning. I told the other fisherman to watch this Brown’s reaction, and proceeded to make three short strips while still sitting on my tail-gate. That Brown slammed my fly so hard I almost lost my rod. I didn't have to set the hook at all, and when the Brown felt the sting of the hook, he blasted out of the shallow water about three feet high looking like something from Bass Masters! The look on the other fishermans’ face was priceless! I finished fighting that Brown on my tail-gate then finally got down to release him. 24” Brown Trout, not the biggest I have landed, but definitely the most memorable.

18. Chromer

Chromer Defeat terrorism

Large crawdad aka. "Big Daddy":thumb:

19. Bill Dodd

Bill Dodd Bill's in a time out.

I have been told Lake Washington Has some very large Caryfish and I'm sure if a person had a trap with a big enough entrance hole they could catch some big crawdads in Pass Lake.
    Got to love them cooked in salt water and served with butter and lemon.
    All this Pass lake talk is making me want to fish it.
    Anyone know how conitions are up at Pass?

Bill Dodd.

:)

20. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

All the lakes have them in there. Along with the rivers. Have seen some in the N/F Stilly. Don't know why more don't use that pattern. Just don't eat the Blue ones.

Jim