For the steelhead masters

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Patagonguy, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Patagonguy

Patagonguy Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hey guys, here in Patagonia Argentina we have a big river with those chrome Oncorynchus Mikiss that run to the Atlantic. Fish from 6 to 25 pounds, extremelly powerful.
    The river is Rio Santa Cruz, is huge, 240 miles lenght, and 250 yards wide avergage; a new fishery discovered just a few years ago for steelheads, the water is clear and relative milky because comes from very big glacial lakes and it seems that the best flies here are big black streamers as WB's, Marabou Muddlers and Zonkers.
    Any other recommendations about how to try to catch these elusive silver torpedoes?
    Thanks in advance folks,

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Patagonguy,

The fly patterns you mention are good ones. Fly pattern doesn't matter too much with steelhead. It's the presentation of the fly that matters. Fish them on a standard wet fly swing across large pools and flats characterized by: depth of 2/3 to 2 m; velocity of 0.2 - 0.5 m/s; and a cobble/boulder substrate. Whether you should fish them off a floating line or a sinking tip line depends mainly on the water temperature.

Good luck, and send us some photos of the river and its fish!

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

3. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

Media:
    ----DISCLAIMER---- I'm not a steelhead master, but I've done both my homework and my legwork thus far.
    Anyways, I'm guessing it's probably not a good thing that there are now Atlantic steelhead. I'm sure that the steelies will hit the same stuff the searun browns do. Big dark (purple, black, wine, brown) zonkers/kiwi muddlers/buggers, flesh flies, stoneflies, egg cluster patterns, and the traditional Northwestern steelhead flies like Green Butt Skunk, Freight Train, Skykomish Sunrise, Popsicle etc. should all do the trick.

4. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    The basic swing is what lots of folks do out here. Not quite as effective as other methods, but it has it's own appeal. In general the slower the swing the better. Water moving around 1.5 feet per second (slow walking pace) tends to be the best holding water, near rapids (above or below)...

Other tactics include the use of nymphs... Read up on Andy's article about steelhead nymphing strategies. It's off the main homepage, and details the use of nymphs and eggs to take steelhead....

5. Jerry Metcalf

Jerry Metcalf FishyJere

If you can get ahold of it, Dec Hogan's book, "A Passion for Steelhead" would be a good primer. He relates a lot of information about big river fishing that would be applicable.

6. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    I don't consider myself a steelhead master, an accomplished steelheader perhaps but I digress. Tell you what. Buy me a round trip plane ticket to Patagonia, Argentina and lodging for say a week. I will bring a couple of spey outfits, a box or two or steelhead flies with me and we can figure out how to catch your steelhead.:cool:

7. Mulligan

Mulligan Stephen Mull

Media:
    I'll buy the beer :thumb:

8. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    time is my friend :D invite me on down, i'll bring the OP big steel flies plus some materials, you have a vice? along with the short rods, skagit lines and t14 heads. lets catch some fish and set some precidents for flies that prove themselves :cool:

9. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

wow, let me preface by saying that river sounds amazingly sweet. Like most folks said, I'm not a steelhead master. Considering the way you've described the river I would approach it with a spey rod for sure, a short head line, and a selection of large profile flies for that colored water. Try string leeches, large marabous, intruders etc. I think there was an article in a high profile fishing mag about fly fishing steelhead in S. America. Not sure where they were, but I'm sure you could find out. They also had some photos of some seriously sweet flies. I usually fish a Type VI sinktip on our local steelhead rivers, but I also carry a IV and an VIII. Good luck and PLEASE post pictures when you start catching them.

Cheers,
    Will

10. Patagonguy

Patagonguy Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    KerryS, Mulligan & gt:
    Guys, will be apleasure to fish for our steelies with you. I can't invite you of course, is a little expensive for me, but just put a group of 4 together and you'll have a great discount of our regular cost. April is the best time for the rockets of the remote Rio Santa Cruz.
    About your advises, I'll try with softhackles and nymphs also. Thank you very much.
    I'll send you some picts after the experiment.
    Regards,

11. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Media:
    For starters, go see the river when it is at its absolute lowest water-level of the year.

Take note of all channels, depressions, bars, etc. that will be covered when the river is in runoff stage. These are the features and areas that you will be fishing when the fish are in the river, so get to know them intimately.

THEN worry about flies and methods.

Silhouette is king in fly selection, followed closely by color.

12. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Patagonguy,

If April is best, that doesn't leave us a whole lot of time for planning. What does it take to make this a happening thing? If not this year, why not next?

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

13. Patagonguy

Patagonguy Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Salmo_G:
    No problem, just let me know your plans when you wish.

Regards,

14. Lostinwater

Lostinwater New Member

Media:
    Get in contact with our own Caddismadness( send PM), he's caught them there last year and I'm sure as hell he'll be doing it again this year (he's in Chile/Argentina right now). Damn that sounds fun :beer2: :beer2:

Andrew

15. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    '08 sounds good to me, this april is a bit quick.

16. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Not exactly relevant to this particular post but interesting none the same. I have read some articles about a big fight coming up for new hydroelectric development in Chile. The plan is to create reservoirs on some of the larger rivers in Chilean Patagonia and then send the power to Santiago. Many of the locals are against it but because of the need for more electricity as the country continues to prosper, the more likely things will continue to head in that direction. They are looking at alternate power sources but nothing is jumping out to fix the situation.

17. Mulepadre

Mulepadre New Member

Let me get my two bits in but with the benefit of a little 'cultural know how'...

Hola Patagonguy
    Me gusto mucho encontrar tu noticia hermano. Tambien me encanta pescar con el estilo 'spey', pero yo no soy un 'master'. Pero, soy un sacerdote catolico y en esto tengo un poco de maestro... y por largo tiempo estuve soñando de una viaje a Chile o Argentina... tal vez servir la gente por el tiempo de mi visita y pescar tambien, Con mi Español pienso encontrar algunos amigos en la fe alla, no?
    Oye, solamente pueda pescar uno por medio de los outfitters or pueda uno pescar solo?
    Y hay un pueblo o aldaya cercaa donde uno puedo encontrar el apoyo para pescar en serio como tu estas diciendo?

Muchas Gracias,
    Mandame un "PM" si quieres hablar.

18. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Media:
    Ok, for you non-bilingual cats out there, lemme help...

"I liked finding your post, bro. I too dig fishing in the 'spey' style, but I am not a 'master'. {however}, I am a catholic priest, and in this I have a little of the "teacher". {Ed.-or was that a reference to "the teacher"?} ...For a long time I have been dreaming of a trip to Chile or Argentina...to perhaps serve folks for the duration of my visit, as well as fish, with my spanish I think I'll find some friends in the faith, no?
    Say, can one fish only with an outfitter or can one fish by themselves?
    And is there a town or village close by where I can live and fish for these hawgs you speak of? {Ed.-last part not literal translation, just feeling}"

Heck yeah, man.

Usted va consigue ' em, Padre

19. Patagonguy

Patagonguy Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hi Mulepadre:
    "If Jesus was a flyfisher, surelly was a dry fly fisher", according to those words of A "River Runs through it".
    Of course you can go as you wish in Patagonia Argentina, through guides/outfitters or not. The results will not be the same, I think. The best places, how to and when to go are always better known by the locals, as everywhere.
    Yes, you can stay on several towns and try. A map, a rented car, your tackle and go.
    Regards,

20. Longs for Cutts

Longs for Cutts Member

Media:
    Maybe I missed this: what season do they run, and what is the water temperature?

Most of the info I've seen above applies to winter/spring-run steelhead, when temps are cold. If they're running in late summer/early fall, you'll be more likely to catch them on floating lines and smaller flies, though if the river is glacial you probably won't need REALLY little flies (the last fish I caught in the Stilly before moving to MT ate a #14 trout nymph --hard), probably #4-6 at the smallest.