Force Fins...worth the extra coin???

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Elkman, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Elkman

Elkman Ryan

I use a pair of fins that just strap onto the bottom of my wading boots. Are the force fins really worth the extra money??? Advantages??? Using it with my 11ft Bucks bronco.

thanks
    Ryan

2. PeteM

PeteM Member

I picked up a used pair and I love them. I use to use some old scubapro fins. The force fins are as fast as the scuba ones but lead to less cramping. They are also easier to walk in. It was a good choice for me.

Pete

3. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Ryan,
    I've used the Force Fins for quite a while and like them just fine. Far as the price, I think they're a bit over-priced like so much of flyfishing gear is. Don't know what else is out there in the same price range, however you'll probably never wear them out so if you divide their price by several years of use, they're not a bad deal.

4. barbless

barbless Member

Yes. Twice the speed, half the effort.

barbless

5. Lex Story

Lex Story Angler, Gastronomist, Artist, Jarhead, Geek

Yes they are worth the extra coin. This is coming from using those other fins for a whole season. After I got the force fins I noticed that it was easier on the knees as well as improved the power output on every kick stroke.
    And I can walk easier in them out of the water.

6. Rocket Red

Rocket Red Vegetarian Cannibal

Aren't your feet like Size 18 or something?

flippers . . .

7. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

I'd say they are. If for nothing more than the ease of walking in them.

Jeff

8. Jerry Metcalf

Jerry Metcalf FishyJere

I'll chime in and agree. They give half again the power of a flat flipper and by the end of the day are probably worth the extra price. I have found them to be comfortable and durable. Get some neoprene booties (Glacier Glove?) for the sized ones. It is a more durable and warmer system. The adjustable ones are sort of a pain but they do adapt to any wading boot. There is no free lunch.

Do, however, invest in a retainer strap. I really, really doubt if they float and at that price you don't want to loose them.

Jerry

9. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    I think you'll find that because of their efficiency in use, Force Fins are very popular with divers and started out as diving fins, making their way to use by fly fisherpersons as kickboats and float tubes became more popular. They're not really "flyfishing gear" as opposed to diving gear utilized by fly fishers. The price to fly fishers is the same price as to divers.

They're just super well made, will last a life time, and are head and shoulders better than other fins. I used the deluxe Caddis fins for a short period, moving on to Force fins after I got tired of my knees hurting from the others and my buddy going faster than me (using Force fins) with half the effort.

Probably one of my top 5 best investments in fly fishing gear yet, for me, and I have a lot of gear!!! :cool:

10. Dick Warnke

Dick Warnke was Pram-Man

When I fished out of a tube my first fins were the Caddis. I'd work like crazy to get anywhere. My wife bought me a pair of the adjustable Force Fins one year for Christmas and I couldn't beleive the difference. Like said over priced, but worth it.

11. Allison

Allison Banned or Parked

You can find them used on Ebay. I picked up an older pair for $40.

12. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I vote for Force Fins.
    I bought mine many years ago. As an ex diver, you can imagine a dive shop is just another candy store (still). My scuba fins are too large for fly fishing so when looking for fins I ambled into Underwater Sports. The young clerk recognized me as a total idiot :) and said, "you don't want those, they are total crap for diving" (which I would agree with) "I'll sell you those for $30 just to get rid of them".
    One of the best deals I ever got in fly gear.

13. Rick Phelps

Rick Phelps Member

My vote is for the Force fins as well and for all the reasons already stated. I do not know of anyone that has tried them and not liked them. The price is the only down fall.

Rick

14. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Ditto on the endorsements of force fins. After using other fins, I wouldn't go back.

15. PT

PT Physhicist

I didn't like them and sold the pair I bought. I push a 10' pontoon around with a dog on the back and prefer the old style LONG graphite fins. Still using the originals I bought probably more than 12 years ago. For me the extra length just seems to guide the big boat better than the shorter fins.

I couldn't get past the feeling I got when my heels would keep lifting off the force fins with every push. Just felt weird to me and I didn't think they pushed the boat any better than the old fins.

I've heard nothing but great feedback about the Force Fins but they just didn't do it for me.

16. Elkman

Elkman Ryan

Thanks for all of the input! Yes RR, I do have large feet, only 15--16, not 18!!! I didn't know they allowed Tiller B@tches on this site!!! Ha just kidding.

later
    Ryan

17. Wes Neuenschwander

Wes Neuenschwander New Member

I think most people find them noticeably superior to generic fins. Personally, I found the difference marginal when sitting high out of the water in my pontoon boat, but substantially superior when seated lower in the water in my float tube of Access Travel Craft (similar to a Watermaster).

BTW, Outdoor Emporium used to have a really good deal on them, though they were apparently getting pressured to toe the 'price fix' line by the manufacturer.

18. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Wes,
    You're right, I bought mine thru Outdoor Emporium years ago for a fraction of what they cost now.

19. theworm

theworm Member

Media:
    There is a pair of XLs in the classifieds for $120.

20. Jake_wicken

Jake_wicken Member

Anyone have an extra pair of fins that they don't need anymore?