Force Fins

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Troutcreek, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Troutcreek

Troutcreek Active Member

Media:
    I spend quite a bit of time on lakes and like the grab and go simplicity of the
    Super Fat Cat. The regular Outcast Fins work reasonably well, but some of the lakes in my area get windy. I’m looking for some more horsepower and considering upgrading to Force Fins. Are they worth the expense? Is there other options that I should consider?
    Thanks,
    TC

2. Richard Rust

Richard Rust New Member

Go with Force Fins and don't look back.

3. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    I was recently in search of a similar upgrade. I picked up a SFC a couple months ago, and the shop threw in a pair of Outcast fins with it. I used them for the first few times I took it out, and found that I didn't move very fast and they wore my legs out. I debated for a while, and did some research, and finally pulled the trigger on a pair of adjustable Force Fins and let me say it was one of the best gear upgrades I've ever made. They move me faster, with less effort. When I'm out on the water it's easy to forget they are even there. I can go all day long and not have my legs cramp up at all.

I say go for it. If you use your tube alot, you will NOT be disappointed.

4. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Media:
    Hi TC,

Type "Force Fins" into the Search box, and the results will reward you with lots of valuable discussion on this subject. I will add that with prices now headed north of $200, the value question is a timely one. Omega Flip Fins often come up as another option. I think it is safe to say both likely offer an improvement in efficiency, which pays dividends when you have to deal with more resistance over an extended period of time.

My experience comes from using the Water Master fins and Force Fins. While I can kick all day using either in slow water without much fatigue at all, the Force Fins do a better job when there are white caps on the lake, or when in fast moving water.

5. robl

robl Member

Media:
    They are so worth it if you do a lot of lake fishing. I'd say more important than a lot of other stuff we almost routinely upgrade and will likely last longer.

I happened upon a pair thrown in as a package with a tube that I bought. I was sold and will not go back after about four minutes in the lake with them the first time. I've used them exclusively since and the difference is hard to describe.

Save your pennies and you'll be happy that you did.

6. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Frankenfins!!!

Islander likes this.
  7. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    7 years and counting. Everyone thought they were spendy back then at $104. I thought they were well worth it, and still think they're the #1 gear upgrade for lakes. Just find a pair and be done with it.

8. Gregg Lundgren

Media:
    Just FYI. Force Fin shutdown operations for a short time. This caused me to re-check the condition of all my fin tethers! They did restart the business in a new location, still in California I believe. The number of retail dealers has diminished over time, and I think supplies are tight until production gets well underway again.

9. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    Huge difference over Caddis or other step in fins, "twice the speed with half the fatigue". That just came out, I didn't know I was a poet? sorry.....You will love them, they take a little longer to put on, mine are the adjustable ones, but it's well worth it. I use tethers to be safe, don't want to loose them. If you are not in a hurry keep a look out on ebay, I payed $75+ shipping for mine new about a year and a half ago, but it took about four months to find the right deal. Good luck

10. Gregg Lundgren

Media:
    Non-adjustable Force Fins typically cost $10 - $30 more than adjustable now; and when you search for the adjustable, they are showing as "no longer available" on some retail sites. But, last time I looked on-line at Cabelas, they were still available at $199. Not sure what might be going on here.

A word of caution on the non-adjustable, which I prefer: the girth of your foot and the surrounding layers (socks, wader stocking foot, and the sole of your dive bootie) might cause you to under estimate the size of the foot pocket needed. I own two pair: XL for cool water, XXL for cold water. I wear a size 14 shoe.

11. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I own two pairs of XXL's and wouldn't consider using anything else at this point. I bought the first pair over 10 years ago and picked up a used pair for $75.00 for visiting friends to use. I also like the original non-adjustable type and wear a light neoprene bootie with them. I ditched wearing heavy wading boots long ago as I prefer to get a good leg workout at the gym instead of the lake.
    As Mark mentioned, keep an eye out and you'll find used pairs popping up for sale.

12. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    My friend John picked up a pair
    of scuba fins at goodwill for $5.
    I've been using them and they
    work great, lots of power and easy
    on the legs.

13. Troutcreek

Troutcreek Active Member

Media:
    Thanks for the great reply’s and I apologize that I didn’t do a search for past posts before I launched the new one. That said you have got me convinced I’m buying a pair.
    Thanks again,
    TC

14. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I have FF and swear by them...till I bought Omega's. The reason Omega's are THAT GREAT, aside from being able to flip them up, is that you can move your tube effortless due to the length. Plus, you CAN move on the up and down stroke, which you can't do with the Force Fins. I have had my Omega's for 5 years now and never use the Force Fins anymore. It did take some getting use to, because I tried to do the scooping like the FF, but realized, you barely need to move the Omega's. They are much easier over a long day.

15. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    I started with the Caddis fins that came with my original U-tube and quickly upgraded to Force Fins after borrowing a pair from a friend...much more efficient.

16. TonyZ

TonyZ Member

Ok, you convinced me now too. Now, tell me how to size Force Fins... Take for instance, size medium shoe size 9-10, is that with bare feet or shoes in the fins? I'm asking because my current fins require my wading boots. Do you use shoes with these fins? Thanks in advanced

17. Mark Yoshida

Mark Yoshida Active Member

You need to take your boot with you to test the fins. I wear a size 9 wading boot but was told a L size fin, but when I got to the shop I ended up with a XXL Force Fin. Needed the extra space for individual wading boot.
    Good Luck if you are getting used pair unseen.

18. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
  19. Mark Yoshida

Mark Yoshida Active Member

Blue
    I thought you had multiple colored ones to match each outfit!! Hot Pink, Blue, Yellow and of course the standard Black that goes with everything.

troutpocket likes this.
  20. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

Media:
    I have the flip fins and they move some serious water. I really like them