Forecast 11'6" 6/7 Spey Line Suggestions

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by chew-, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Hi, signed up a few weeks back, and thought it was high time I posted. I'm building up the above mentioned rod here shortly, and noted a few members have some experience with this stick. Just wondering what lines you've used, and how you liked them. I'm leaning towards the 7/8 Airflo Delta Spey Multi-Tip. I gather Forecast rates their blanks a little light, and I like to feel the rod load up, so figured this would be a good starting point. I'm stuck up in the Yukon, so I don't have the luxury of testing much of anything before I buy, so your feedback will be a big help. Thanks!

2. Chew,

You might get in touch with Warren Perry from this site. I think that's the stick he built. Not sure what line he has on it, but it casts very nicely.

REE

3. Chew - we've built a couple of the Forecast 11'6 6/7, and they're an awesome addition to the aresenal. Here's a couple of the lines that we've found work well:
    -7 SA Short Head Spey
    -8/9 Hardy Mach I
    -450 Rio Skagit

Sorry - haven't cast the Airflow lines, so I can't give you any feedback there. You are right about the rating for these rods, we've found that you usually need to line up.

Kinda depends on your casting style. If you like shooting heads and casting heavy flies, I'd probably choose the SA Short Head line. I have to say my personal go-to line floating line is the Hardy Mach I.

4. If I were you I would defer to Kristin's expertise. I have very limited spey experience,

I did build the 12'6" 7/8 forecast spey rod. I am really new to spey rodding so I have no real frame of reference on how to match line to rod but I will tell you that I was able to make a 100' cast with it the other day.

I use the cortland 444 precision taper tri color spey line. I was able to get it for 55.00. I cut the head in order to make a multi tip line and so far it works just fine.

Warren

5. I really like the Hardy 8/9 Mach 1, but think that the SA Shorthead line casts very well too. I've fished with the Hardy and really enjoy casting it!

I just built a shooting head system w/ Ron's help at All About the Fly. I've cast a couple of custom lines that work very well with sinktips.

Enjoy the new stick!
    Bill

6. Warren please tell us which line weight.

7. Thanks for all the feedback, folks. I'm leaning towards a short head, so I'll throw the SA on the list. The Airflo is at the top right now, as I like their welded loops (which I see they've now added to the fishing end of the tips sections). I'm also hoping to get my hands on a Skagit head in the 450 range. Had a chance to try a Rio Skagit on a recent trip south, and really liked it.

Looking forward to getting this rod built. It's my first, so we'll see how it goes. However, it'll be awhile before I get to throw a line on it, as the lakes and rivers are a little on the solid side as we speak. Spring is a long way off in the Yukon...

Thanks again.

8. Chew-
    I've used the the AirFlo Delt multis for awhile now and find teme to be excellent lines. I use them on my FlyLogic 1308 mostly, but I've also cast them on a friend's Burkheimer 13'9" 8wt. On both of these rods I've A/B's the 8/9 against the 9/10 and what I found was that either line will cast these rods well. I prefer the 9/10 as the FlyLogic is a fast rod and I like to feel the rod load. I guess my point is that the Airflos are versatile lines, but perhaps err more toward lining-up, so you probbly wouldn't go wrong with the 7/8.
    daniel

9. Duh!:clown: I forgot to post the most important part... my line is a 7/8

Warren

10. Thanks!

11. Kristin:

Meant to ask, was the SA Short Head you refer to the 6/7 or 7/8?

Also, what tips have you used with the 450 Skagit on this rod?

Thanks