NFR Forget Gun Posts? Nostalgic Cars You've Owned

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by dryflylarry, Dec 22, 2012.

1. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Ok. So I've been guilty of following these gun posts. Fishing sucked for me yesterday. So, to help "lighten up", I thought about a couple of my cars I owned as a young college lad. Funny how those old cars we owned can make you cry. These were my two favorite cars back in the early 70's. I think I bought the 46' Ford for about $400. Before I came back from Vietnam, my dad wrote me and thought I should sell it, as it was just taking space in his yard. I agreed, and sold it for $600 in 1970. When I got back to the States, I purchased my 1957 MGA. It was probably my favorite car. I drove it during my college years. It makes me cry to think I sold it for $900 sometime around 1977! I know others on here have had a lot nicer cars. What was your favorite? Post a pick. These photos are not the original cars I had, but almost identical. 1946_Ford_Model_69A_Business_Coupe_AEJ586.jpg 5641d5dacb.jpg

2. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    1974 Dodge Dart. Seriously, I'd love to have an old Dart Swinger (with the 318) to restore and love.

3. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    When I was about 17 or 18 I had a pink (yes, I said pink) 1960 Dodge Pioneer, 2 door hardtop. She was named "ruby and delicious". The stories I could tell about what when on in that car.
    This isn't a pic of mine but it looked just like this execpt mine had t-bird hub caps.
    [​IMG]

dryflylarry likes this.
  4. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Media:
    '73 Nova SS, 350 cu. in, 4 speed, 2 door, red with black stripes. Gawd I wish I still had that car!

5. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

My first car: 1968 Mercury Montego MX 351 4v V8 3 speed auto on the floor. $500

[​IMG]
    My second car. 1970 Torino GT 351 2v V8 3 speeed on the floor
    paid 350 for it never got to drive it. ended up parting it out and did very well for my 350

[​IMG]

Third car 1968 Torino GT fastback 390 4 speed car. paid 2500 for it if i remember right. drove it for several years [​IMG]

4th car 1971 torino GT original 351 auto car mine had a 460, never got to drive it on the street. engine seized after sitting all winter... parted it out.

[​IMG]

I don't have pictures of my actual cars but these are examples of classics that i owned. my days of owning fun cars is over and when i look back I didn't have the money to have them actually be any fun.

6. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

I haven't read a word of the gun post but my car memories are pretty clear. In 1954 my dad bought me a '41 Ford close coupe. We were living in Damascus, Va at the time and the car had been used by a guy that drove it to the train station every day with a rickety trailer attached and picked up the mail for the post office. Seventy five dollars. It was originally dark blue but he had painted over the original paint with light blue porch paint. With a brush!

What a project to turn that into a hip teenagers ride. I eventually got all of the paint off and got it in red primer. Living in a time and area where fender skirts, lowered rear ends, fox tails on the antennas, white mud flaps and windshield visors were considered cool I was a complete reversal of what was going on down south. My '41 was probably one of the earliest cars east of the Mississippi and south of the Mason-Dixon line to have a "Dago Rake", big tires on the rear and lowered in front. I installed alloy heads, a manifold with dual Stromberg 97's and dual exhaust. I styled around in confidence knowing that I was cool and that the hillbillies with their ass-draggers were--well, hillbillies.

I went into the service in 1956 and my dad sold it to a guy in a neighboring town that finished what I had started with a refrigerator white paint job and a custom naugahyde interior. How I would love to have that back with a modern small block Chevy in it!

That old '41 was a benchmark in terms of automotive and sexual awakening.

Ive

Nooksack Mac likes this.
  7. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I owned a red 1965, limited edition, Mustang convertible with a white top. It wasn't exactly practical in NE Oregon. The convertible top plastic rear window broke during the winter when it froze. The top would freeze and slowly melt as the car warmed up so it rained inside the car on me and the passengers while I drove through the snow and ice.

So I sold it for 500 bucks. When you look up classic Mustangs, you'll always find a photo of the exact car I sold. The last time I checked, the sucker is worth over 50 grand... and I sold it for 500 bucks. I cry myself to sleep at night sometimes thinking about that sad fact.

8. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

1963 Impala SS with 327 corvette engine. 2 dr 4 speed...sold it for $600

Jerry Daschofsky likes this.
  9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    My first car was a 1951 Pontiac. It had a straight 8 in it. I got 12 miles to the gallon no matter how I drove it. It was a two door with a post. I bought it what I got out of the Army. in 1956. I think I paid 600 bucks for it.

My next car was a 1953 Ford. V8 Flathead. 3 speed on the column Don't remember what I paid for it. Now this was a going concern. It was lowered and it was almost dragging on the ground. Had the front and rear leaded in and primered. It road like a tank I couldn't drive over a speed bump. Everything rubbed. Then I got married the first time. And then I sold it and got a 1955 Ford Convertible. Now this was a nice car. Drove the piss out of it.

I could go on and on about the cars I owned but It was so long ago that I had them I forget about some of the makes. I had one foreign car. Don't remember what it was.

10. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    1946 Army surplus jeep with 289 V-8, overdrive, duel exhaust, select-o hubs, roll bar, and no gas gauge, just a marked stick to stick in the tank to see what the fuel level was. When it was running, bitch would go.

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    One more thing about the cars from the 50's and 60's. You could work on them yourself and you usually held things together with bailing wire.

A coat hanger to hold your muffler in place. Duct tape wouldn't work on nothing hot.

12. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Lol my first was a 64 impala ss with 327 Corvette engine. Mine even had the vette side pipe exhaust. Ended up selling it to buy another 64 with the 409 with dual 4 barrels. I wish I still had it.

13. Long Rodder

Long Rodder New Member

'73 VW Bug. God, I hated that car. But there are a few fun memories ;) Let's just say I was a bit more flexible back then!

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  14. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    1979 MG midget - Drove it for a summer. I had to replace the alternator about 3 times. I guess I helped keep Lucas in business. Paid one dollar per CC.
    [​IMG]

1984 Fiat X19 - not fast, but it handled like a baby Ferrari. The engine sits right behind the seats so when you're driving it also sounds like a Ferrari. $2000 in 1991.
    [​IMG]

15. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Most memorable? My first . . . a '51 Chev 4-door. Went places in SW Montana that General Motors had never envisioned (and likely would have made both them & my parents cringe had those folks been so apprised. "Cringing" was accepted & normal behavior for fishing & hunting partners while in that car, however. Had I known then what I know now, I'd have moved to Idaho & hung-out with Pat McManus, Retch Sweeney, and Rancid Crabtree.).

16. wa_desert_rat

wa_desert_rat Active Member

Home Page:
    I wish I still had my 1956 Porsche 356A that I bought for $1200 in 1963. I raced a Pontiac Grand Prix northbound on the old 4-lane between Arlington, WA and Mt. Vernon and ended up a dead heat... he could take me on the straights but had to slow way down for any curve. Not bad for a 90hp 4-banger.

My next memorable car was my brand new 1965 Chevrolet Impala hardtop coupe with a 327 and 4-on-the-floor. I bought it brand new for $2500. That was the first car I had that I put Michelin radial tires on and what a difference those made!!!

Now I have a Jeep Wrangler TJ with a soft top and a 4-cylinder engine that's lifted 4" and has 33" tires on it. Barely gets up to 65 on the freeway but will go anywhere I point it. I was on a call yesterday to a customer with a security fence who told me they'd open the gate... I said, "don't bother, I'll just drive through it". We all laughed.

The Jeep is noisy as all getout but it doesn't bother me; I just turn off my hearing aid. :p

Craig

Nooksack Mac likes this.
  17. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Media:
    Crappy picture, fun to drive, 1965 Porsche 912, wood steering wheel. Corvettes always wanted to race, same story. The hood would dip noticeably lower when getting hard on the gas improving the ground effects and this thing would stay completely level through tight corners.
    67 Porsche 912.jpg

Patrick Gould likes this.
  18. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Craig, you jeep guys are a strange lot. Really dedicated to a very basic vehicle. I worked at a VW/Mazda dealership before working now at the Ford/Chrysler dealership. The old air cooled VW folks are just as passionate about their rigs.

BTW: if you are interested in a new Jeep, DO NOT buy one with a Freedom Top... unless you don't mind water leaks. The design of the roof is insane and eventually will begin to leak. The engineers designed the roof with two panels but the marketing people told them to redesign it with three panels so women wouldn't have a difficult time removing the front panels.

There is no center support for the front two panels and as the designers tried to tell the marketing guys the panels will eventually shift and they will leak.... and do.

Remember the T-Tops? They leaked like a seave... Same problem with the Freedom Top.

19. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Red '65 Volvo 122S coupe. Black interior. That was the first car I bought after moving back to the states from Hawaii. Great cruiser for heading out to the coast and back. Looked good with surf racks.
    Then I picked up a '62 VW camper that had a recently overhauled '67 1600 engine in it. That became the surf rig, except for when I was heading to the coast and back in one day. It had a 6-volt electrical system, which made jumper cables almost useless, so I'd park it on a hill whenever possible. It had several annoying quirks.
    I'll see if I can find some pics to scan.

20. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Ah, I also had an X-19. I ran it up to a 100 mph one day. That was the fastest I ever drove a car.