NFR Forget Gun Posts? Nostalgic Cars You've Owned

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by dryflylarry, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

I've always wanted a 356 or 912. Those little engines don't have much grunt, but they also don't weigh anything so the handling is great. My Fiat mechanic (who I got to know all to well) had a nice 912 and let me take it for a drive. It was really fun, but If I remember correctly the gearbox didn't have syncromesh and I couldn't get the hang of double clutching.

2. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

That's pretty damn fast in that car. I think I hit 90 once. The car could have gone faster, but I ran out of guts.

3. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

My parent's red '62 Kombi was my first car. I drove the wheels off of it until the transaxle disintegrated shortly before I enlisted. I pulled the rear seats and covered the walls with 1/4" plywood and carpet squares, then laid vinyl flooring leaving cutouts for the seats that I never put back in. Lined the sides and back with pillows. No radio but I had a 4 track, then later 8 track tape players with 10" guitar speakers for tunes. I was a card-carrying Bow Wow Auto Parts member for the V-dub and the Porsche, and needed it often for both :eek: .

Between the VW and the Porsche, I had a two-door 57 Chevy Panel Truck, a 66 Ford PU, and a green 67 Peugeot 404 4 door sedan just like the one in this pic. Nice car but it had some issues.
    [​IMG]

It wasn't until I started buying Toyata, Nissan, and Infiniti that I learned what a reliable car was. One thing I liked about the old American cars was they were easy to do routine maintenance on.

4. wa_desert_rat

wa_desert_rat Active Member

Eastern Washington is heaven-made for a Jeep. Old trails everywhere, lots of BLM and otherwise public land, sand dunes within 15 minutes of my driveway, towable by my motor home 4-down, able to carry a mountain bike on a rack (but I need something for the kayak).

And the budding teenager (she's 11 but you know how *that* goes) says that her stock goes up when I pick her up at school in the Jeep. (I'll try the Harley in the spring.)

No more "new" cars for me I think. I bought this one (a 1999 model advertised on craigslist for $4,000) right after another guy turned it down because it was "too rough". I didn't even try to beat him down on price... just counted out the money. I wanted a car I could weld on and this is it. The state wanted me to pay sales tax on $7k!!! I managed to find enough on-line to convince 'em to lower it to only $500 more than I actually paid for it.

And, I can actually SEE the spark plugs. On my wife's Kia I can't even see the engine. 2012-12-11_13-22-26_767.jpg

5. Jeff Peacock

Jeff Peacock Member

62C-leftside-remote.jpg View attachment 22065
    Fun diversion from the gun stuff.
    My second car was a '62 Chrysler Newport. I loved it because it had a spaceship dash and push button gears.
    My first car was a '56 Dodge Lancer with push button gears too. I still like pushing buttons. :D

dryflylarry likes this.
  6. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Still missing my '74 Land Cruiser.

fj40-1.jpg

7. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

The first car I bought was a cherry red 1972 BMW 2002tii. That was the manually fuel-injected version of the classic 2002 coupe. I loved that car! Only one I owned until '94, when my wife and I decided we needed something a little safer and more reliable to tote our daughter around in. Kept it until around 2000 when I could no longer justify keeping a car that needed an owner with more free cash flow to give it the love it needed. (Sold it to a gear fisherman from Startup, if I recall - wonder whatever happened to it?) Sadly, that was the only non-practical vehicle I owned. I've always pined for an old Landcruiser like Chris's. Where I grew up, all the cool dudes drove those in high school.

yellowlab likes this.
  8. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

You guys are making me cry now. I loved my 57" MGA. I use to drive it back and forth from WSU to see my girlfriend/wife to be. I remember screaming across the dessert, past Washtucna, Dusty, hair blowing in the wind (none left now!), anxious to see the honey! Those were the days! Loved that car.....:):(

wa_desert_rat likes this.
  9. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

"It's a Jeep thing." Some folks just don't understand.

[​IMG]

Brookie_Hunter and wa_desert_rat like this.
  10. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I dream about them all the time. '54 Ford Sunliner convertable, '63 Austin Healy 3000A, and a '68 Mustang coupe. All fun; All sold too cheap.

11. Bradley Miller

Bradley Miller Dances with fish

1964_plymouth_sport_fury_convertible_m.jpg
    Holy crap I've never even HEARD of that car. Cool.
    Here's a copy of my first car; I'm sure it's worth a mint now....I bought mine for $ 295.

12. Bradley Miller

Comment: never been much of an MG fan, but the X1/9 brings back memories!
    Those look like Abarth wheels on yours; very sharp looking car.
    Mine had a custom engine that was pretty sweet....my first day on the road with it was in the snow. Super fun car. Owned it a month. Then it was stolen. Got it back a month later with no engine.
    Sheesh.

13. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

A 59 Ford Galaxie 500 convertible with a police interceptor engine. Great car but it weighed a ton(s), got about 8 miles per gallon of gas and I had to add a quart of oil every 100 miles or so. My best car was a 63 VW bug. I bought it used with almost 80K on it and put another 100K on it, plus two engines and a transmission before I sold it to a buddy's younger brother. My favorite was a Fiat Spyder - think it was a late 60's or early 70's model - but it wasn't very practical as a fishing vehicle. So, I bought a 78 International Scout Traveler (diesel). What a tank! Top speed was about 55, but it could climb a mountain............. and then kids.

14. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

1949 studebaker commander sedan ( the back seat was really classic), 1953 chev belair, 1965 283 chev el camino, 1967 327 chev el camino and a 1969 350 lt1 chev el camino................Oh I for got the 1960 willys utility wagon I built a bored 40 over chev 283 and put it into. Now this thread gives me a Woody....no I never owned one.

15. Bradley Miller

Back in the early seventies, my brother picked up a Dodge Charger ( with a 440) that ran like crap. I think it was running on six and was beat up, so it was cheap. But it was STILL fast. We sold it the next week..... it was scary.

16. Bradley Miller

I'm not really a Jeep guy, BUT....my son bought one a couple of years ago.
    Four banger. Automatic. But ....... we got snow on the ground that winter and there was just no stopping that vehicle. We took it anywhere and everywhere.
    Crap. Maybe I AM a Jeep guy.

(I get pretty good points for picking up my kiddo at school with the top down in the Mustang!)

wa_desert_rat likes this.
  17. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

Kerry....That is badass!!! Oh the days gone by!!!!!

18. Steve Vaughn

Steve Vaughn Member

First car was an early 60's Ford Falcon POS but cost me $50 and got me back and forth to school as far north as you can get in NY state (Plattsburgh). Never ran in the winter when the temps got to -30 degrees. Next two cars were Mustangs '65 & ''71. The '71 was a fastback w/ 302 and probably my most sentimental favorite.

19. Dan Page

Dan Page Active Member

First car was a '57 Chevy Belair 2 door hardtop--283 4 bbl. Wish I still had that one, but wrecked it--only real wreck of my life, (except for a couple women I knew:))
    3rd vehicle was a 57 Chev pickup--283- 4 barrel carb. Lots of hunting and fishing and good times happened out of that one.
    Wow, hadn't thought about these vehicles for many years.

20. RoyS

RoyS Member

1957 Ford Skyliner retractable hardtop. Solid white with red & white interior. Had a 312 T-Bird engine, dual mirrors set far forward on front fenders, dual antennas set far back on tail fins and fender skirts that ran all the way to the rear bumper. Could drive it down the street and the girls would simply jump in. Bought it new for $2250 cash. My mom sold it while I was in flight training in AF. Wish I had that car now. 1957 Ford Skyliner.jpg