NFR Forget Gun Posts? Nostalgic Cars You've Owned

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by dryflylarry, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +358 / 0
    Yeah, desert_rat.... I'll bet you're on to something there...
  2. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    My brother installed an engine from a Volvo 122 in a little Fiat 1300 sportscar. I got to drive it once, when I went to look at the '65 Volvo 122 S that I bought right after I moved back to WA in the Spring of '79. It sure was fun to drive. I can't remember the name of the model, though, and he crashed it soon after I moved here from Oahu. I remember that he said that he had to install a thinner radiator to make room for it, but that the Volvo engine matched up nicely with the "bell housing" on the Fiat, and he had no problem with the installation on that end.
  3. weiliwen Active Member

Chicago Illinois
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    Tim, the Giulietta Sprint Zagato is my absolute favorite car, and the Sprint Speciale a close second. Alfa Romeo made the most beautiful cars in the 50's and 60's.
  4. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +248 / 1
    I used to work for a guy that had a Fiat Abarth Zagato. Look it up and you'll see some similarities in the coach work by Zagato. It was a tiny car with a double bubble roof to accommodate the occupants heads. If memory serves it weighed about 1200 pounds. It was so small we hung it on a wall sideways and painted tire tracks behind it as if it were driving horizontally across the wall.

Fun stuff, those little cars.
    TC
  5. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    Both cars are beautifully bodied, but the Alfa wins in my opinion.
  6. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    Not sure if this will work but...

[IMG]

This isn't a pic of my car, but close enough. 1967 Austin Healey 3000. I had a bit of metal flake in the paint and the hood was flat black. I loved that car. My Mother sold it while I was stationed at Fort Bragg. I didn't talk to her for three years.
  7. Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Tacoma
    Ratings: +104 / 0
  8. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +567 / 0
    Oh Ron, now that's another tear jerker....:(
  9. weiliwen Active Member

Chicago Illinois
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    I love the Abarth "double bubble" Zagato, too. I guess I have something for Zagato's. That's one I had a chance of buying about 8 years ago for a reasonable price - passed it up and now their prices are in the stratosphere. I'm looking for a replacement for the Giulietta now, but only want to spend $10-15 of the $$ I got for the Alfa. A GTV or GTV6 are at the top of my list, but it's a long list that includes cars from just about every country that makes or made them. I probably will go for a hard top, something with a little more power than the little 1300 in the Giulietta - a 6-banger, if I can afford one that fits the description. That's the fun in shopping.
  10. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +684 / 0
    '57 Pontiac. White w/PINK trim, lots of chrome, PINK & gray interior, fast, girls loved it, 'nuff said . . . (AND . . . I was tough-enough to chastise those who offered snide comments . . . "Cherish" by "The Association" . . . good times!).
  11. wa_desert_rat Active Member

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +58 / 0
    My mother threw away my comic book collection and sold my Evinrude 3.5hp outboard motor while I was in South America. I know exactly how you feel...

Craig