Forgive my heresy...carp eating...

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by mr trout, Jun 8, 2005.

1. mr trout

mr trout Trevor Hutton

Ok, I really don't feel too bad, since carp are becoming a problem more and more, I am getting into bowfishing to get some time on the bow until deer season. - however - I don't like the prospect of just wasting a bucket full of 20 pound fish... I realize that carp aren't the finest table fare around here, but how would you cook 'em up? ( I dont need the "cook 'em with a boot and eat the boot joke"...) I am thinking fish and chips? maybe.
    Should I look at it like coyote hunting and just not worry about it? (or make wallets from their skins?...heh)
    Thanks - I think... :rofl:

2. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Just do a google search for "carp recipes" and you should find a lot of them.

3. Andy

Andy Workin in a sweet mullet

There were a bunch of Japanese exchange students when I went to EWU that would eat carp all the time that they would catch at _______ lake out there

4. Grzlyhckl

Grzlyhckl New Member

5. rockymountain_brown

rockymountain_brown Senore Member

mmmmm carp tacos!

6. Backyard

Backyard SANCHO!

Trevor... Ever caught a 20# or more carp on a fly rod?

7. mr trout

mr trout Trevor Hutton

Can't say I have...Sounds a little scary and hard.... But I do know some spots. It seems like just one more thing to figure out, plus would a 6 wt be enough? Or do I need this excuse to justify getting another rod...
    For some reason it seems like fun to shoot 'em though. Thats the redneck in me...

8. Todd Connelly

Todd Connelly New Member

I have a friend who is friendly with a Korean convenience store owner near his home. He has a very large family & they just love shad. My friend never has to buy beer during shad season :) ! (He doesn't fish for carp.) That might be one option that you could look into. Another is, You probably have a number of large migrant worker families nearby that maybe could really use it. The problem is how to you broach the subject delicately? There may be an orginazation you could contact. Here in the portland area we have "Friends of migrant workers" a little shoestring orginazation that helps out.

One thing to keep in mind is Carp are long lived. So make sure they are safe to eat. Heavy metals & pcbs are a real problem in long lived fish species. Check with WDFW to make sure they are safe to eat where you are.

I'm curious though, Where are they becoming a problem? I don't remember hearing recently about carp problems. Other than the general paranoia about carp eating eggs & fry. (Which is unfounded for the most part).

Cheers........Todd

9. mr trout

mr trout Trevor Hutton

I was under the impression that they were a non-native species, and I would assume that they, like all organisms, compete for resouces (that should be going to our native fishes). I have seen carp in the rivers around Yakima, and other areas. "Problem" may have been an overstatement, but carp are an invasive species aren't they? I really don't know too much about carp to be honest.

10. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

When I was a kid, I use to tell the story about how I chopped a carp in half with a double bladed axe. I said there was a large black thing that ran the length of the fish and that it was shit. Remember, I was a kid. I never did that and I have no idea as to how they taste. All I know is that Europeans dote on them and that they know their food. I would eat carp now. I am older and wiser.

Bob, the They eat mostly greens why shouldn't they taste good? :thumb:

11. wrench

wrench Member

Have ate a bunch of carp. Not my fav but very edible. Have seen a bunch of recipes on the web, I cut out slabs and fry em like anything else. I keep the heat lower and cook em longer that I would bass fillets, hoping to soften the bones I have missed. I don't like the dark meat near the skin. Try it just for the heck of it.

12. God dammit! The post is so damn nasty! :beathead:

Dude, you have to see what's inside carp before you eat them. There are totally made of guts. There's got to be a mixture of 100 colors of guts in there..

13. LeakyTiki

LeakyTiki Member

Now don't quote me, but Ive heard that carp taste like a bucket full of buttholes :confused:

14. Todd Connelly

Todd Connelly New Member

Mr. Trout wrote;
    "Can't say I have...Sounds a little scary and hard.... But I do know some spots. It seems like just one more thing to figure out, plus would a 6 wt be enough? Or do I need this excuse to justify getting another rod...
    For some reason it seems like fun to shoot 'em though. Thats the redneck in me..."

Your 6 wt should be fine. A lot of people use them. I'm new to carp fishing myself and I've only used my 9 wt so far. It is difficult but not that scary. Plus I think a lot of the skills you'd learn on the carp flats would translate well to the trout stream or lake.

As for bow fishing I'm sure it is a lot of fun. & I have nothing against it.
    I do feel the fish deserve better though. I think as Backyard hinted at,
    if you caught a 20+ pounder on your 6 wt you would too!

Mr. Trout wrote;

"I was under the impression that they were a non-native species, and I would assume that they, like all organisms, compete for resouces (that should be going to our native fishes). I have seen carp in the rivers around Yakima, and other areas. "Problem" may have been an overstatement, but carp are an invasive species aren't they? I really don't know too much about carp to be honest."

They are a non native species that's true. But not invasive exactly. They won't compete directly with trout. If a trout streams water quality degrades enough (Temps rise, gravel silted in, things like that) the Carp may move in as the trout move out or die off. But the carp don't cause the problem. They can survive & even thrive in shockingly poluted water but they don't cause the polution.

Cheers.......Todd

15. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

I do like to catch carp on the fly, and 20lb fish are fun, but they arnt something i would eat. The columbia river, which is my favorite carp fishery, is somewhat poluted, and seeing that one of my favorite flats is directly downstream of the boise cascade paper mill, im sure those fish absorb a few harmful chemicals. Carp are long lived and im sure all that sucking and filtering of mud and sand has helped them absorb toxins. I have heard the taste of wild strain non demestocated carp is very good. The polish eat carp instead of turkey for christmas, and often keep them alive in their bathtub for several days because the demand near christmas drives the price of carp sky high. The common carp throughout most of europe and all of america are from a highly domestocated genepool. Wild, native common carp have more muscle mass for their weight than the carp we have here.

Peace,
    Andy

16. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

17. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Andy, I'm not giving you crap, honestly, just advice. It looks like you're destined for fly fishing stardom. If that's true, and if you are going to represent this forum, get with spell check dude? :thumb:

18. mr trout

mr trout Trevor Hutton

Ya'll dun edjumacated me this mornin'!
    I still think I am going to try to eat them, just for kicks.
    Perhaps I will have to try fishing for 'em too.
    And thanks for all the carp lessons, I never knew about all that stuff.

19. Salmon Candy

Salmon Candy Member

The July issue of Game & Fish magazine should have an article on fly fishing for carp. It is a "how to" instead of a "where to go" article. There is a good "how to" article by Keith Meyers (Wrench) on this forum as well.

As for your 6 weight-do you like your rod? If so, I would not use it for carp unless you are fishing from a floating device which will allow you to chase and stay on top of the fish. I use a 7 or 8 weight.

There are some really good carp fishers on this forum who are willing to share info. Everyone has a pet pattern-none of which resemble the other in shape, size or color. I've caught them on BananaRama's (#2, 6xl) and GRHE's #16.

As for eating carp, the heavy metals (not the musical stuff) concentrate in the fat between the flesh and skin as well as the organs. I would follow the Dept. of Health consumption guidelines.

20. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Sorry bout' the speelin Roper, i never did learn my Angalish, tooooo besy farshin to whorry bout da stodies. On another note, I use a 6wt for all carp fishing unless it is really windy, but mine has a system that works like a fighting butt, and also the lower half of my 6wt is way way stiff compared to most, so i just lower the rod and have the muscile to move the fish to where i want them to be.

Peace,
    Andy