Forgotten rod classics

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Ryan Bradfield, May 27, 2013.

1. What rod range/ranges do you feel cast up there with todays top end rods & are now discontinued but remain true classics?

2. Porter

Porter Active Member

Sage Xp (who thought I wouldn't list that one?) :D But only 6-9 weights

Sage LL

Scott G

I always had a thing for the older St. Croix Imperials of the 90's...moderate action but smooth caster and fun fish fighter. I think this one is up there with some of the slower rods. (not considered a classic)

Fenwick/Wright and McGill put out some nice 30-60ish dollar glass rods in the 60'-70's that I believe rival todays 300.00 plus glass rods. Although that Scoot F rod is damn nice ;)

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  3. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Loomis GLX classics

nailbender likes this.
  4. i cast the original 8wt loomis GLX and i still cant find a rod to match the experience

5. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Orvis, un-sanded late 70's and 80's superfines. Full flexing - unique - fishing machines! The lighter weights (3 & 4 weight) original HLS rods are awesome also. But then again I'm not talking "CASTING" I'm talking "FISHING" rods!

dryflylarry likes this.
  6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I had a St Croix Imperial 4wt that when I got to casting flies with it. I could make a sandwich while waiting for it to load. It was real slow.

Patrick Allen and Ryan Bradfield like this.
  7. i have an early 90's orvis superfine 2wt,it casts beautifully
    ive heard the sage slt's and the winston WT's are fine casting & fishing tools also

8. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Sage RP, SP and SPL. Many folks also regard Sage's long-discontinued, entry-level Discovery series among the best rods Sage ever produced.

K

Porter and Jerry Daschofsky like this.
  9. Jim Hagenau

Jim Hagenau Member

Phillipson Challenger fiberglass from the 60's. Slow but sweet!

10. dfl

dfl Active Member

I told the folk at the Sage plant that if they ever made a better rod than my DS2 4wt I'd buy it. They sold the DS2 to fly shops to use as rentals. I picked one up for $100 and it is my favorite unless I need long casts.

scottybs, Kent Lufkin and Porter like this.
  11. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

With the exception of one older Winston IM6, all my rods are Sage GFL's. These were the first rods that Sage cranked out beginning in 1980. I love them and so does everyone I know that casts one. All are 2 pc. with downlocking reel seats.

12. Porter

Porter Active Member

I have a 583-4 DS (metal seat)...fun dry fly rod. Good rod for small tight bodies of water and a good float tuber rod as well. I just don't use it as much as my LL. I didn't think of DS or DS2 as a classic but it is a well built rod, good action, and simple aesthetics.

13. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

Fenwick Ferulite in glass, and Fenwick HMG in graphite.

14. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Are we just talking plastic rods here? If not, my list of bamboo classics would be pretty long!

K

15. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

I think that top end gear performance has not changed a whole lot from the introduction of graphite until now. Once a great rod always a great rod. The technology has simply not changed that much.

16. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

Look no further ...

[​IMG]

17. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Well, maybe just a little further.

snoopy rod.jpg

Few things are more classic than a brace of Snoopys on a red velvet presentation cloth.

snoopy +2.jpg

TC

18. formerguide

formerguide Active Member

Redington NTiQ. Fast, bombproof, cool looking finish. The original NTi rods could hold their own today as well I think, been awhile since I cast one. But aside from the XP, mentioned first, this was the other rod I immediately thought of.

Once the Loomis GLX rods get mothballed, you should add them as well, I still think they're as good for my tastes as anything out there...

Dan

Ryan Bradfield likes this.
  19. Porter

Porter Active Member

Where those the ice blue colored redington rods?

20. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

Sage Discovery - I still use my very first fly rod and still love it.