Forks area 8th-10th of August?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by tinman207, Jul 27, 2014.

1. I will be in a vacation cabin on the Bogey the week after next and am wondering what I should look at. I was kind of thinking steelhead smolt would be in the river there now, and that water should be left alone. Anyhow, I am poking around to see what info I can find...any trout opportunities in that drainage? I might take the opportunity to hire a guide for a day of something, or just chase a blue line on my maps....who knows, I am open to whatever. Amy suggestions?

Bob Triggs likes this.
  2. Src & Jim Kerr

3. Thanks for the reply jake-e-boy... SRC's were my most likely plan....nice to get one friendly reply at least. The four different pm's I got from paranoid butthurt gentleman were rather hilarious. I didn't ask for fishing spots...flies...ect. I just asked what type of fish your would consider targeting.

dibling and triploidjunkie like this.
  4. Yeah people suck, sorry mate don't know much about chasing the src in the rivers over there or I would offer some advice. Jim Kerr could get you on some though

5. Do you have a kayak, or are you willing to rent one?

PM me for some summertime DIY options on the peninsula. I can put you on enough action to keep busy. Not likely to be epic, but fun nonetheless

6. I think you will be early for prime SRC fishing, but there should be a few in the lower river. I think there must be some year around. If you hike the trail up into the park you should find some fair trout fishing. The OP isn't Montana trout streams, but you should find enough to keep you entertained.

Sg

7. That is beautiful country. I haven't fished it, only archery hunted for elk in the area.

8. You won't find many smolts in the river that late. The smolt is the downstream migrant form of an anadromous salmonid.
    Both steelhead and cutthroat smolts begin their migration to salt water in the spring and most will be well out and into the salt chuck by August. Perhaps you are thinking of parr (immature salmonids which have not yet become ready to migrate to salt water). I think that you could well find cutthroat in the rivers by August, early-entry cutts are probably well up the rivers by the end of July or even earlier.

Ed Call likes this.
  9. Love spending time with Jim Kerr.
    Hiking the trail works too, if you've got that time available to explore.

10. Does that apply to east side rivers as well? I snorkeled some pools on the chewach one August and was amazed at the number of steelhead smolts compared to cutthroat. Like one hundred to one. Do they adapt as residents or just head out way later than rivers and streams West of the divide?

11. Go upriver. way up on the upper road, to the very end, to the trailhead. Then hike way upriver, into the Park boundary, and as far as you might like to hike from there. You will find plenty of access along that trail to the upper Bogachiele river. You could hit cutthroat, resident rainbows, (aka "residualized steelhead"), summer steelhead, Bull Trout etc. (You may not deliberately target Bull Trout in the Park). That is riffling pocket water most of the way. I would be using big fluffy dry flies, caddis and stoneflies, etc., as there are lots of big bugs around now, moths, termites, winged ants, beetles etc. A five weight or six weight rod, and 4X to 6X tippet and floating line will cover that. Once you drop down into the river off of the trail, you can work your way downstream all of the way back to where you can hike back to your truck. Check the Olympic National Park website www.nps.gov/olympic for info, road and trail updates, rules, fishing regulations etc. It's not like there are tons of fish up there. But you will run into a few. Enough to keep it fun and interesting. http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

TD likes this.
  12. Wow, deja' vu...
    I did that trip during summer break with two of my high school buddies (RIP Bill) awhile back. It was in 1970 or '71. We used our burro that my Dad had at the time (RIP Max) to pack all our stuff in. Bluebird weather had us wet wading in numbed- legged condition for a week, catching a trout here and there and creating good memories.
    We never saw another soul the whole time up there. I bet you couldn't say that now.

Matt Baerwalde likes this.
  13. The point I'm trying to make is that the term "smolt" is more often misused than not. A smolt is any anadromous salmonid which has begun to undergo the physiological changes which will allow it to survive in a saltwater environment. The changes are largely to the osmoregulatory system which controls the level of salinity in the cells, Without these changes, a fish dropped into saltwater would quickly die of dehydration as its cells gave up their water to the more saline solution surrounding it.

Fish which have not begun to undergo these changes are referred to by a number of names usually referring to their size; fry, fingerling, etc., and as salmonids grow, almost all species develop "parr marks", oblong, dark bluish markings along the fish's sides which gives this stage of the fish's life the title of parr. Smoltification usually begins in the spring of the second year of life for steelhead and cutthroat, at a length of six to ten inches, and coincides with the beginning of their migration downstream to salt water. The change is quite apparent to the eye as the parr marks disappear, the fish's back turns a dark blue or green and the sides become silvery, the color scheme which will best camouflage it in its new saltwater home.

So, smolts are only common in the streams in the spring as they are migrating down to saltwater. Pre-smolts should be referred to as fry, fingerling or parr since "smolt" only refers to that one particular stage of its life.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  14. Sorry Preston, I wasn't being a smart ass. I was genuinely curious.

15. No apology necessary, I just wanted to point out that not all small trout in the rivers are "smolts". To answer your question more precisely, the most common life history of the steelhead, east or west, involves two years rearing in fresh water at which point those rainbow/steelhead which choose to go to sea begin to undergo the process of smoltification in the spring of their second year and to migrate downstream. Those which choose to become residents (and resident rainbows can and do produce migratory offspring and vice versa) do not smolt and settle in to a life in fresh water.