Forks Area in mid-December

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by flyfishmt, Nov 6, 2013.

1. flyfishmt

flyfishmt Active Member

To all,
    I am going to be in the Forks area in mid-December to meet up with some of my fishing buddies. They have a boat and we're think if floating the Ho for a couple of days. Any scoop you can share will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

2. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows The Thought Train

have a backup in case the hoh is blown out, which it is likely to be in mid-december. look for smaller rivers and creeks to fish during heavy rains.

there are more hatchery fish in december so look at the wdfw smolt plant data to find other options.

you should also call a local fly shop like waters west for the latest info as your trip approaches. it may seem close but 5 weeks is a lifetime when it comes to winter fishing and knowing what will be going on then.

3. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Read the Great Doug Rose books on the OP.

4. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Dan,

The Hoh has a lot of good fly water, so any section is a good one to float. As Chris mentioned, water conditions are dynamic during the winter. I always figure a 50:50 chance of the river being in shape in December. Have some large bright and large dark flies. 18" of visibility is considered gin clear on the Hoh. Most runs fish best at flows of 3,000 cfs or less.

Sg

5. flyfishmt

flyfishmt Active Member

Thanks for the info. My two buddies live in WA, and I am in Montana. I plan to buy my ticket to Seattle at the last minute as I watch river flows. We did it a few years back I n February and only fished 1 of the 3 days we were there due to high water. They want to chase the hatchery fish this time.

6. jsuyes

jsuyes FFF-CCI

The Hoh got a hatchery plant this year but from what I understand the creek they dumped them in is just upstream of the mouth. Who knows how far the hatchery fish will go up river?

7. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

i think the Bogie is the river with the big hatchery plants you might consider that too.

if the big rivers are blown out try hiking into the Hoko or the Dickey

8. flyfishmt

flyfishmt Active Member

Guys,
    Thanks for the updates. I just booked my air plane tickets last night. Is the Bogie easy to float? Which areas would you recommend? Getting time off from the shoe lace re-tipping factory is not easy to do, so I want to make the most out of my vacation.

Thanks,

9. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

10. flyfishmt

flyfishmt Active Member

We are floating Monday to Wednesday, hoping to avoid the weekend crowd. We planned on stopping by Waters West on our way to Forks, to pick up a few things and get some info. Since I float the Bighorn so much, I am fairly used to crowds. That's what make the middle Yellowstone so good, is that you might see 3 - 4 other boats all day. I will give up big fish numbers for tranquility any day. I appreciate all your help.

11. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Easy float but like any other on water experience pay attention.
    That being said, someone always seems to sink a boat each year at the Ice Box hole.
    Have a good trip.
    SF

12. jsuyes

jsuyes FFF-CCI

The Bogy has 4 put-ins (Three floats) through the sections that get hatchery fish.
    1.) 101 Bridge to to the Hatchery. Since this is above the hatchery it has fewer fish. Most of the fish will be in the runs closer to the hatchery. The take out at the hatchery is easy to miss. Scout it out first.
    2.) Hatchery to Wilsons. Full of fish. Full of Boats.
    3.) Wilsons to Lyendecker. Lyndecker is at the confluence of the Bogy and the Sol Duc. All of the fish that head to the hatchery come through here so it can be good. Fewer boats because alot of people take out at Wilsons.

13. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

More decent fly water in the hatchery to Wilson section. Lots of big slow pools that are less suitable to wade and cast fishing from Wilsons to Lyendecker IMO.

Sg

14. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

What dates are you headed out there? I am going to be out there all next week and it looks like not much rain at all in the 10 day forecast...might be a little rough.

15. flyfishmt

flyfishmt Active Member

We will be fishing December 9 thru 12. I appreciate the great tips. If I can ever repay with Montana info just let me know

16. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

Don Freeman likes this.
  17. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I'll be out there wed thru sat next week.

18. flyfishmt

flyfishmt Active Member

CJ, I will look forward to your report.

19. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Got here Tuesday night late( 2ish), slept till 9:30. Went to Wilson, put my rod together and realized I forgot my reels. After some searching I called Waters West and they rented me a reel and heads, very cool great guys. Rivers are LOW and VERY clear, not many fish being caught. I managed one Hatchery from the bogey but have heard of very few others. Wish I had better news for ya Bro.

20. flyfishmt

flyfishmt Active Member

Chris,
    Thanks for taking the time to do this. At this point, it is what it is, as we are headed up there. We are thinking lower Hoh right now. Good luck tomorrow.