Formal rules for fly swaps

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Philster, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Here's a proposal for a formal fly swap system for the Forum.

I think all swaps should have a one week grace period for the postmark. After that the person is out and goes on the official forum flyswap S***-List. The flies should be sent out no more than one week after the postmark grace period. The swap master would also go on the S***-List if they fail to meet this deadline.

The S***-List is not a horrible punishment. Removal from the S***-List would require sending each participant the missing fly, AND hosting a swap successfully according to the rules above.

This is intended to add order to the system, but also to have a little fun with it. Just think of how we could ride slackers! A hall of shame, or perhaps a trophy for the worst of the worst? Kudos for the best of the best?Any comments, additions, changes?
  2. andrew Active Member

Bellingham, WA.
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    I agree...those are pretty reasonable. Only problem is who is going to be responsible for the "list" and up keep of it?

Hey nice flies Philster BTW! I'm giving everyone until this Friday for their flies to show...because they hit the mail Saturday in bound for the punctual people:thumb
  3. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Thanks Andrew. They are designed for the sound but have been very good when things are chewing on small rainbow as well...

I know nothing about HTML and all that, but if someone can set something up I would be willing to take a shot at it for the first 6 months. Or maybe a better idea is for the first person to be the person who sets it up, so they can respond to any glitches. I'll definitely take second round...
  4. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    I've been running some beginners swaps on this board of late. I set a deadline for when the flies are due to me, not in the mail. I make an effort to keep people informed and up to date through e-mail and posts on the BB, I set reasonable deadlines (usually a month or more) and I get the flies out the day after the deadline if the post office is open. Tank the grace period you spoke of and I'll agree with you about the S**t List for swappers and Meisters.

REE
  5. Randy Diefert aka: Longears

Coupeville, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I agree with REE, People are usually given a month to complete their flies. Unless they have to tie 100 flies that month for a swap (which I haven't seen lately) they, offered Them selves to the participants of that swap. Therefore They should be held accountable Not the Meister.
    I hate it when people wait til the last damn minute to live up to their committments. I think that if a person has a reasonable reason for not completeing his committment to the swap then so be it; if this is not the case and is in fact habit; Then S*** list it is.
    my $.o2
    Randy
    I also agree that 1 week should be enough time to sort though 12dozen flies and get them back in the mail PROVIDING that everyone sent enough return postage, proper mailing address',etc.But, If you think it's easy try hosting a swap...
  6. Jay Allyn The Poor-Student Fly Fisher

Bellingham/Puyallup, WA
    I like that idea. Only got half of the flies from the people in the Junior Swap, and i gave them an extra 2 weeks while I went on vacation.
  7. Randy Diefert aka: Longears

Coupeville, WA, USA.
    And what happened when you got back from vacation "fishing Junkie"?
    Did they come though? What about the people who had their homework done on time? what did they get for living up to what they agrred to do?
  8. LeakyTiki Member

Tulalip, Wa, USA
    This deserves to be at the top of the board

RE: Formal rules for fly swaps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been running some beginners swaps on this board of late. I set a deadline for when the flies are due to me, not in the mail. I make an effort to keep people informed and up to date through e-mail and posts on the BB, I set reasonable deadlines (usually a month or more) and I get the flies out the day after the deadline if the post office is open. Tank the grace period you spoke of and I'll agree with you about the S**t List for swappers and Meisters.

REE