Found a ATH fly tying vice have Q's

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by dasbear, Sep 2, 2009.

1. dasbear

dasbear dasbear

I found a ATH fly tying vice in a beautiful wood disply box but dont know anything about it. Can anyone help?
    dasbear
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. SpringCreek

SpringCreek Addicted to Cane.......

I believe you are referring to the Ari 't Hart fly tying vise. Hell of a nice tool and as rare as they come. The last one I know sold for over $1,000 a couple of years ago. There is one available right now that I have seen and it was priced at around $1,600. If this is the vise I am thinking of, there were only about 50 ever made.

Jim

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Take a few photos and put them up here. It would be nice to see.

4. dasbear

dasbear dasbear

I will be posting pics tomorrow.
    So based on the photo's what do you folks think? Is this 1of 50 or??? Is there a site that shows everything that ATH created? What is the history of ATH?

So many questions So few answers.....

5. SpringCreek

SpringCreek Addicted to Cane.......

Ari t' Hart was a fly reel designer and produced reels under a few different company names from the early 1980's to the present. His designs were very unique and appeal to a dedicated crowd of enthusiasts. His current reels are being marketed by exclusivereels.com. Although I have yet to discover a complete history for ATH, you can get some good information at the following link:

http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/topic/8734

As far as the vises go. It is my understanding that 50 were produced for his friends, and as such are quite rare. I'm not an expert by any means, but that is the information that was shared with me.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find yours.

Jim

6. dasbear

dasbear dasbear

I've been assigned the task of reassigning my father inlaws sporting goods collection. He most often bought high quality tools and toys then, never or seldom used them. There are a couple cabinet pieces in classifieds now and the vise will be joining them some time in the future as well as some sage fly rods and reels. The original shipping box had a label from Cheyanne Outfitters in Wyoming I believe they dont exist anymore and Kaufmans in seattle & portland didn't know what I was describing when I called them about it. I believe it was bought in the mid to late 80's. I appreciate everyones expertise with this vise as it has been a real mystery on the net till its put in front of thems that know.

Patrick

This vise was listed and sold in 2010