Fox Hill Oven---bump

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by IveofIone, Mar 23, 2010.

1. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

I have asked this question before but got very little response. Has anyone any experience with the the Fox Hill ovens? They come in single and double size for $49 and $69 respectively. My understanding is that they bake far better than the Coleman fold up ovens. The Coleman ovens have so many gaps and holes in them that browning anything on top is just about impossible. The bottom always burns first. I have tried lining the lid with heavy duty foil and putting a cover over the top and down the sides but with little success. There are just too many places for the heat to escape. The Fox Hill apparently beats this problem by having no holes in it whatsoever and the baking rack is attached to the top which fits down over the sides and further prevents heat loss. The downside seems to be the relatively small baking pan of only 8'' x 8''. Still, perfect biscuits are great fare and I can always do 2 batches I guess.

If you have experience with this item let me know. I think I want to try this on my new stove.

Ive

2. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Media:
    Ive,
    Those are new to me. I looked up their website for the first time just a few minutes ago. Unless I missed something, I could do most all of that baking in a dutch oven. I have dutch ovens that have more cooking area than 8X8 and I make biscuits that turn out great. I've also done pies & pizzas. I guess I just don't see the advantage of a Fox Hill oven. Fill me in....

Lonnie

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yeah, I'm with Lonnie on this one. You'd have more luck with a dutch oven. I have the campchef portable oven (it runs on propane). Still prefer a dutch oven for doing my baking in.

4. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Well guys, I'll agree that you can make biscuits, etc in a DO and they come out fine. But my big 12 qt must weigh what-18# or so? And takes up a hell of a lot of room. Plus you need charcoal to warm it up. The Fox Hill weighs just 2# 11 oz and is 10'' x 10'' x 6''. For a guy that often camps alone I can see where just putting it on the stove and having it up to temp a couple of minutes later would be a real advantage. I usually make up cookie dough before I leave home and even a small batch before bedtime would be a treat if it only took 15 minutes from start to finish to bake them.

If this little oven cooks evenly and well I'm sure it will become a treasured piece of camp gear.

Ive

5. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    That's where you get yourself a hard anodized aluminum dutch oven in the 10" range. Solves the problem. :) Toss in a camp chef Dome to use with it, and you're golden. :)