FrankenFly

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by jeff bandy, Jan 19, 2013.

1. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +374 / 1
    In the Jan/Feb 2013 "Northwest Fly Fishing" magazine. Greg Senyo submitted his "Gangsta Intruder".
    It's similar to this; http://steelheadalleyflytying.blogspot.com/search/label/Senyo's Gangsta Minnow
    But with a intruder tied over it. Note the blade.

Does this cross the line between fly and gear?
    Do you think it is legal in fly only water?

I fish both fly and gear and there for have a kind of softer view of mixing the two. But am interested in the opinion of the board.
  2. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    Nope, I don't think it crosses the line....blades, spinners, eyes, beads, are all in my tying inventory. Legal? Absolutely, special gear rules say fly or lure and restrict hooks. The blade in my opinion is no less offensive on the fly than are the eyes.

I'm not really concerned about fusing the two (gear and fly), I've leave the controversy to the purists. Me, I'll tie up whatever, if it catches more fish. A lot of hoopla was raised over the Squidro fly but it's IMO a brilliant fly. So what if it's like a pigboat bass lure...he tied it using material available and it works (or so they say).

I use flies / lures on my boat. So what if it is feathers and polar bear I tied on a hook and then put on a store bought squid skirt...I had it and I tied it, end of story. Guaranteed it will catch fish. I don't see how they can disagree if they use foams, krystal flash, beads or anything synthetic beyond fur and feather on their ties.

If it makes you happy to tie it, its legal, and it catches you fish, I say to hell with what others opinions are regarding if it meets convention.
  3. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +237 / 3
    Dont have a problem with it, and agree that it's really no different than eyes, fish skulls/sculpin helmets, and similar. In fact I would hesitate to call it a spinner since from my glancing at the pattern it looks like it is tied in a fixed position so you lose all of the vibration and most of the flash of a spinner.
  4. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,685 / 0
    Odd that you would mention blades. During my quest for a bait fish pattern that will work during the middle of the day to catch LMB, I started tying with another new product from Hareline...

Flash Generators

They are made by the same people who manufacturer the Fish Skull and Sculpin Helmet products.

I tied these experimentals to test at the farm lake close to my home:

[IMG]

It was late in the warm water years so I only had a chance to try them once before the cold rains set in. I caught some gills with one of the patterns and something broke the tippet material when I made a cast into some really good look'n bassy water. Whatever the fish was, it hit the pattern as the fly was sinking so the blade was fluttering.

This Spring, I'll try them again.

Blades with flies is nothing new. In fact, many patterns the bass flyfishers use in bass land include blades. Dave Whitlock has a few patterns he created that use blades. Deke Meyer included patterns with spinners in his book, Hot Bass Flies, Patterns & Tactics from the Experts. When it comes to bass, spinners on fly patterns is not uncommon in the least.

I think the blades would spin easier in moving water so I also tied some patterns in steelhead colors. However, I never tried them for fear the flyfishing steelhead purists would find out and I would be the subject of a drive-by shooting.

They are not legal to use in flyfishing only fisheries in Oregon. The regs specifically indicate a "fly" can not include a blade.

Of course some fly anglers consider them a lure and not a fly. Some fly anglers don't believe you are fly fishing unless you are using a dry line, a dry fly and casting upstream to a rising fish. Tell that to the bass fly anglers. They use patterns with blades all the time. So does that cross a line for those guys? Nope.

I honestly don't judge anyone by what they are using with a fly rod and reel. I personally push the envelope all the time with the patterns I use. Creating new and different patterns is one of the reasons I tie flies. The thrill is if they work.

I'm looking forward to further tests with the bladed patterns... and with the Sculpin Helmets and the Fish Skulls.

The blue water guys in Baja use live sardine to chum the water and start a dorado feeding frenzy and then cast their patterns in the middle of the frenzy. If a flyfisher who uses live baitfish to chum for salt water species so they can catch the target fish with a fly has a problem with a blade on a freshwater fly, they had odd standards. I was shocked when I arrived in Baja and went fishing for dorado to find that they used live sardines as chum and called the tactic flyfishing. If anything crosses the line in the world of flyfishing, using live baitfish to start a feeding frenzy is it.

I'm hardly a flyfishing purist but chumming for dorado with live baitfish rubbed me the wrong way.

So if the blue water guys have no problem using live baitfish to start feeding frenzies, blades on flies certainly is not out of the realm of what we call flyfishing.
    Richard Torres likes this.
  5. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +374 / 1
    Look legal to me. Didn't remember the" 1/2" hook point to shank. "

From the WA.F&G Regs./Definitions:
    Fly;
    A lure on which thread, feathers, hackle, or
    yarn cover a minimum of half of the shank of
    the hook. Metallic colored tape, tinsel, mylar, or
    bead eyes may be used as an integral part of
    the design of the fly pattern.

Fly Fishing Only;
    In “Fly Fishing Only” waters,
    an angler may use only the following tackle: up
    to 2 flies, each with a barbless single-point hook,
    not to exceed ½" from point to shank, and a
    conventional fly line (other line may be used for
    backing or leader if attached to at least 25 feet of
    fly line). Anglers may not use fixed spool reels,
    bait, or weight attached to the leader or line.
    Only knotless nets may be used to land fish.

One thing I don't like about these kind of step by steps is nobody ever shows the fly wet. Are you tying for fisherman or fish? The guys at Avid said April uses a small tank and pump to show her flies in current. For moving water, this seams like the most important part of the recipe.
  6. Richard Torres Active Member

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    NO.

YES. It's not bait.
  7. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    As I mention in another post about Intruders, I think it is spot on. This lets you see that you have tied the prop correctly and that it swims how you want. I personally don't fish for steelhead but I would hate to sell a fly to somebody only to have it turn out to look like a wet mop. Tube Fly Tech makes one that was showcased in "Skagit Master 3" but at $400 a lot of people make their own.

Here's the video trailer that shows the tank...

8. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,685 / 0
    Remember, it may be legal to use a blade on a fly in Washington but it is not legal in other States.

Definitely illegal in Oregon if the fishery is designated flyfishing only. If you tried to use a steelhead pattern with a blade on the North Umpqua (purist central) , the regulars would shoot you... even if it wasn't illegal.

They'd probably shoot you if you fished with an Intruder style pattern.

Honestly, I think a blade works better at the front of the pattern, not at the rear.