Free Chironomid Clinic Friday/Saturday March 25th and 26th

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Irafly, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,090 / 1
    I've been talking about it, and now I'm going to make it happen.

Disclaimer! I do not claim to be an expert on the subject, but for the last 10 or 11 years I've dedicated a majority of my fishing time to understanding how to fish these bugs. With that, has come some patterns and some know how. Mostly I just want to help out.

I'd like to open this clinic up to anyone who would like to attend, expert or not, with a focus based on the level you walk in with. Although if you are expert or talented, I will put you immediately to work helping others.

Agenda Friday Night in Everett at my place unless we have a huge number who want to attend, and then I'll find a more appropriate setting: Say 6:00 PM or so.

1. Talk about general techniques including leaders, knots, depths, locations, etc..
    2. Practice above knots
    3. Tie! Bring your vise and I'll give you a partial list of materials (I'm going to look into some general donations) and we will tie up some of my favorites and some of the other members favorites.
    4. On going drinking and eating, this will be Bring your own, maybe we can potluck it.
    5. Door prizes! I have a few to more old chironomids that I plan to give away, others are welcome to bring theirs as well. Maybe we could even do a chironomid swap.

Agenda Saturday:

We fish! It has to be Pass Lake for me because I'll be dropping my boy off at his grandmas place in Mount Vernon.

PM me or just post here if you have any questions..
  2. yellowlab Active Member

In a van... down by the river, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 8
    Kudos to you Ira for hosting and organizing this event. I'm sure that many anglers both new and seasoned will learn something new!
  3. Chef New Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I should be in for this. Will know more later. This will be great!
  4. Camo Clad Warrior Member

Sedro-Woolley,WA
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    I am gonna say I am in. Should be a good way to learn more about the bugs
  5. Trout Master Active Member

Ira, good for you doing this, all Newbies should take advantage of what you are offering.
  6. Irafly Active Member

Or otherwise. I think this could be a great time for people of all skill levels to learn more, including myself. I'll just host and present but from there, I expect others to chime in appropriately, although I'm not looking for people to debate me as I will simply be stating what works for me, not what is the best.

I'm liking more and more the idea of having a chironomid exchange where veterans and newbies alike bring their bugs and trade with those that might be willing to do so. I'd also like people to bring their boxes and just show them off.

If this pans out, I'll make it an annual deal.

Ira..
  7. Trout Master Active Member

I'm not social enough to go.
  8. Baseball_Junkie Fish Witcher

Graham, WA
    Well DAMN!! I am stuck on this tugboat in Alaska for a 40 day hitch which is due to end, wouldn't ya know it, the 25th of Mar. Occasionally due to weather or vessel/port logistics I get off a few days one side or the other of the written date. I would LOVE to attend, least the first night. I have the understanding wife in the universe, I will have to make it up to her but I bet she says ok. Hope to make it.

BJ
  9. Chef New Member

Seattle, WA
    come on trout.... go!!!
  10. Trout Master Active Member

I hope to be soaking a chronnie or two at Nunnally that weekend.
  11. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,714 / 0
    Fishing with Chironomid's Is like watching cement dry or the grass grow. I don't have the patience for either of them.
  12. Trout Master Active Member

OMJ that is too bad because I have caught more trout the last 5 years on chronnies then anything else.
  13. fishingcheftim Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    I"d be happy to cook some good grub and bring it along, I'll do a double check with my clients to see if I can make myself free and join in. i'll follow up mid next week with confirmation.
  14. Steve Kokita FISHON206

Burien, Washington
    Ratings: +146 / 0
    Sorry Ira, I won't be able to attend, but I'll mail my chironomid box to you....
  15. Chef New Member

Seattle, WA
    Ira: I should be able to go on Friday but not on saturday. Leaving for Colorado.
  16. gdbrill Tight Lines

Redmond, Washington
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Ira, this sounds great. Count me in.

George
  17. Jim2010 New Member

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I'm new to the site, and pretty new to fishing chironomids but eager to learn. If this thing happens, I'd like to attend.
  18. Irafly Active Member

This thing is going to happen! We will see you there. More details soon on a solid location and other stuff.

Ira..
  19. Irafly Active Member

Ok, I have a venue now in the Lowell neighborhood of Everett. Just finding out more about the tables and chairs. We can BYOB and Food.

I'm really looking forward to this!

Ira..
  20. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +182 / 6
    Ira, This is a great idea and very generous of you to share your expertise. I would attend but unfortunately will be in Oregon that weekend. I'll have to get my "dark side" training at a later date.