Freighters.....

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Stonefish, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I saw this on another board. It amazes me how people underestimate the wake large ships put out, be it standing on the beach or in a boat.
    I'd be pulling hook fast with those big ships coming down on you. No fish is worth losing your life for.
    http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=485753
    SF

2. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    Crazy stupid people there.

constructeur likes this.
  3. ten80

ten80 Active Member

Good lord, those are some dumb people!

Obstructing Navigation as defined in Washington

It is illegal to:
    -Operate any vessel in such a way that it will interfere unnecessarily with the safe navigation of other vessels.
    -Anchor a vessel int eh traveled portion of a river of channel in a ways that will prevent or interfere with any other vessel passing through the area.

And there were plenty other rules broken by those Darwin Award candidates. Too bad so few citations were handed out, some serious boater education is needed there!

4. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    WOW! It's hard to fathom what is going through these guys' heads (not much apparently) when they decide they are going to sit tight with a ship like that bearing down on them!

5. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Gotta love it! Unfortunately though, based on what I've seen navigating both the open sea and inland waters, most powerboaters don't know what the colregs demarcation line is, let alone know the rest of the rules. Learning to steer the Ericson38 we raced as a kid, the first thing I was taught was the old rhyme: "He was right, dead right, as he sailed along, but he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong".

6. sroffe

sroffe Member

In my book, right has the right away, but tonnage rules.

7. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    Those are good photos.

I gete a taste this on my ferry commute every Pink year. Boats launch in Everett and risk their life getting squeezing between the ferry and the dock in Mukilteo. Must join 500 other boats at humpy hallow!

8. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I was down there bank fishing when that happened , all day long the freighters were blowing their horns and people still wouldn't get out of the way. I guess when you have a 40 thousand dollar river boat your special & beyond all maritme rules.

9. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Back in my gill net days we would monitor the ship's channels. They would anounce leaving Eliot Bay. I remember one guy came on and told everyone to get out of his way as he was planning on doing 18 knots by Point No Point. We moved. Still those bastards in the ships didn't stay in the shipping lanes very well either. More than once I heard a ship close by and looked to see the asshole so far out of the lanes he completely blotted out the Seattle lights. Scared me shitless several time. Nothing compares to seeing the dark shadow of a freighter passing only 30 or 40 feet away in the middle of the night and slowly blocking out the lights of the city.

A guy I knew got his net hung on a freighter one night. It pulled his boat up to the side of the freighter. He was out on his deck beating the side of the freighter with a single jack, screaming at the top of his lungs "STOP THIS FUCKING THING!" You could hear this shit all over the sound; Wham, wham, wham, STOP THIS FUCKIN' THING! One of the funniest things I have ever seen and/or heard while gill netting. Of course they didn't stop and he eventualy cut his net free. Crazy bastard was lucky to live through it.

10. Tony Polizzi

Tony Polizzi Active Member

Awesome! Shoulda had a cutting torch on deck! Would shocked the shits outv'm to have a fuming pissed off gill netter on the bridge.:D

11. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:

Red to Red or else you're dead