Fresh and Salt Face to Face Swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Ed Call, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Media:
    The flies look awesome can't wait to get on the water with them, hope lots of fun was had at the swap. I will be at the next one for sure. Ed well hook up soon. Thanks again :beer2:

2. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    ED, How come I don't see any of your flies up there?? It was great meeting some new faces last night and hearing stories of varying truths :rofl: Although it was a late night for Ben, Chris and I. We ended up catching the 11:30 ferry, so that meant getting home after 1 this morning. All the folks on the ferry looked at Ben, Chris and I kind of strangely while we carried on Ben's new toon onto the boat. We considered blowing it up and rowing across instead of waiting for an hour for the next boat, but eventually decided against it. Probably a wise choice.

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Matthew, my two uglies are in the photos. The Cougar Muddler and Lefty's Deceiver. Check again my friend.

So, I fished RSL today in the heat of the sun and all around the hundreds of stumps. I missed a bunch of fish that were barely touching the flies. The first fly from this swap to bring a fish to hand is...

Matt Smith's Magic Green Chironomid. I tried his late in the day after fishing most of your other non topwater patterns. All had faint strikes, but my skill proved inadequate. Thanks for a handfull of new flies to try and thanks Matt for getting my hands slimy with a 13 to 14 inch silver bullet.

4. Matt Smith

Media:
    Ha...I'm glad that I could come through for you yet again. Now I know that you are a believer in the Mojo! You can't repute reproduced success! Good for you Ed!!! :beer2::beer2::beer2:

5. Ed Call

Media:
    The fly catches fish for sure. I do not belive in magic. There is no magic in the fly. It just so happened that this well tied fly presented and the fish was interested.

And Thank You Very Much.

6. Ben Waldschmidt

Ben Waldschmidt Member

Ed, thanks again for hosting. This was my first swap, and what a way to start swapping! And another thank you for the beer :beer2: Great meeting all of you, let me know if you ever want to fish some time!

7. Ed Call

Media:
    I'll fish whenever we can work it out. I've pretty much stopped all my other hobbies. Thanks for joining up and tying some great flies.

8. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Hey that was fun Ed. Thanks for the swap and the beer, and thanks everyone for the flies. Kool... :beer1:

9. Ben Waldschmidt

Ben Waldschmidt Member

Who tied up that little crazy charlie type fly, it's white-ish, w/bead chain eyes and about 1/2" long? That little bugger broke an embarrassingly long date that I have been on with miss skunk. Just wanted to say thanks and I owe you a cold beer! :beer2:

10. Ed Call

Media:
    Ben, I'll take you up on that beer! Those Crazy Charlies were all cock-eyed and I was not happy with the head wrap...so I tied up another pattern. Glad that you got the skunk off. How were you fishing it? I've had most of my luck casting it out and then just barely bringing in slack to keep the line tight. Most of my hits on that pattern have been as the fly drops. If there is a nice current I tend to "swing" it with the current and enjoy the results.

11. Ben Waldschmidt

Ben Waldschmidt Member

Ed, you definitely deserve that beer, the fish was nothing to write home about, (actually I think it was a large herring ~8") I was testing out my new switch rod on the beach on sunday evening, when that lunker couldn't resist the offering! We'll have to meet up sometime so I can buy you that cold one. :beer2:

12. Matt Smith

Media:
    I got my flies from Ed over the weekend. I have got to say that they all look great! I have already used a couple of them and am eager to get to the rest. Ben let me know when you hit the beach next and I will go with you. I got a sculpin and now I'm ready for some sea run action!

13. Ben Waldschmidt

Ben Waldschmidt Member

Matt, I will definitely let you know the next time I want to hit the beaches, I'm fairly busy until the middle of next week, though.