Fresh and Salt Face to Face Swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Ed Call, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    We could meet at Doc's on Bainbridge and those coming from Seattle could walk on the ferry and walk to Doc's in about 5 minutes.

I thought the pizza place in Suquamish closed a while back, but I've not passed through there lately.

We could also meet on Bainbridge Island at the Harbour Pub which also would be a good location. http://harbourpub.com/Location.html This also is a brief walk from the Bainbridge Ferry.

We need a concensus FAST on an alternate meeting place or we stick with the plan and deal with whatever frolicking and tom foolery is going on at Voodiez. Please chime in now so that we can determine our course of action. I'm off fishing tomorrow, so we have to know today by this evening.

2. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    I am 100% opposed to the Pub.

3. Ed Call

Media:
    Okay. How about Doc's or sticking with Voodiez? None of us knows that particular Poulsbo location better than you. Lead us great one, do we go to Doc's or do we stick with Voodiez? Thanks for the input (is there a story to hear about the Pub that will make me 100% opposed too?)

4. Ed Call

Media:
    FRIDAY May 15th at 6:30pm Doc's Marina Grill http://www.docsgrill.com/ Sorry for the late change of plans, but Viking Fest activities in downtown Poulsbo forces reconsideration. Walk on ferry passengers can easily walk to Doc's in a few minutes. Ed

Thanks to the seven of you who have already responded. Again, sorry for the late change in meeting location, but the first round of beers is on Mumbles. See you all there. If you are in need of a ride let it be known, but now our travelers from Seattle can easily walk on the ferry and walk to Doc's. Sorry to those now having to drive a few extra miles to downtown Bainbridge.

Doc's is located at 403 Madison Avenue South, I'll call them and make a reservation for our party.

Other lurkers reading this, come and join us if you want to meet some cool cats. I've met D3Smartie, DryFlyLarry, Ron McNeal, Matt Smith, Matthew Gulbranson and Rob Ast, you will not find a more cool group of fly anglers and I'm sure the others I'll be meeting are super cool too. See you all tomorrow night, Doc's Marina Grill downtown Bainbridge Island at 6:30. See me for your first beer.

5. Ben Waldschmidt

Ben Waldschmidt Member

Sounds Good! Matthew, do you till need a ride to the Lake City area, after the festivities?

6. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    OK GOT IT IT IS DOCS SEE YA THERE

7. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    As this is all face-to-face, are we going to toe-tag the flies, or not?

Rob

8. Ed Call

Media:
    Rob, I did not toe tag my flies. I zip lock bagged my flies with my name on the bag and your name on a card inside. I'm not going to fuss at anyone about how they present their flies. I just want to keep good track of who's are who's so that I can get photos up sometime NEXT WEEK (hint for everyone not to bug me about doing it until then).

9. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    Alright!!!! I finished all of my mandatory ties before the last hour. Now for a special challenge I will tie a pattern recently discussed on this board for a bonus fly:thumb:

10. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    tag em

11. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Tag em! :D Of course if you don't have time, you don't have time....

12. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    ed- there is a story... maybe after a couple beers you'll hear it.

13. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Media:
    Still wish I could make it, I have to pick up my kids tomorrow night. I hope you all have fun and hope you like what I tied for y'all!

14. Ed Call

Media:
    Matt, pick them up and bring them.

15. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Media:
    Dude, that would be crazy fun, and also not to likely. I pick them up late so me making it there with awake, and well behaved 5 year olds would be beyond the realm of reality. I will hook up with you later for some salt fly trials. :thumb: Thanks though :beer2:

All of you have a beer for me!!!...well who am I kidding have many beers for me :beer1:

16. Ed Call

Media:
    I can bring your flies to Rattlesnake on Saturday...but we can plan another time when you won't be missing time with your youngsters.

17. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    Kelvin- which one is the salt and which one is the fresh? Looks like one blue charm or hairy mary and i cant tell what the other is... are they tied on doubles?

18. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    Ben, Yes, I will be needing a ride to Lake City (Wedgewood) after the festivities. I have no time constraints so I will be at your whim. Of course there are the ferries too! See you tomorrow!

19. Ed Call

Media:
    The photos are up and posted in the gallery gents. Point and click here: http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=12009

The flies are absolutely awesome. The face to face gathering was great. It was good to be back in the company of friends and to meet new ones. Putting a face to names, shaking hands, drinking beers and swapping stories of how Dinker cast my spey rod all the way across the Hoh on his first attempt was a blast. I hope that we can do something like this again. Special thanks to the extra cast of characters that were not in the swap but joined us too...Banzai and Chris Puma, glad to have been able to buy you a beer. Matt Smith, you missed a hell of a gathering, but I'm glad that you had some quality time at home with the kids. I have a full box of flies for you when we get to fish next. Michaels, sorry your schedule changed last minute, I've got some flies for you too. Shoot me a PM so we can try to meet and exchange flies. If you want to get your ties to the others shoot them a PM too.

Thanks to all for making my first swapmeister attempt great, and thanks for all the bonus flies that now fill my boxes. Who is hosting the next one?

20. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    the flies are great
    was great meeting the tyers as well

Ed what took you so long to get the photos up?

was a great idea and a great time thanks all yall