"Fresh, Local" Steelhead On The Menu

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Shazam, Apr 29, 2011.

1. A buddy of mine who lives in Port Angeles sent me a pict of a local eatery in Port Angeles advertising "fresh local steelhead" on their marquee out front.( I can't figure out how to post the photo .) No luck talking to the owner. Calls would be appreciated to educate these folks.

Cafe Garden 360-457-4611

Thanks

2. Are they wild or are they hatchery bred. The sign doesn't say

3. If it's fresh and local I'd be saying wild fish. Not many hatchery fish swimming those waters right now.

I know the springers are being netted pretty heavily on the Quillayute system right now. Plenty of bi-catch in that fishery.

4. Doesn't matter. When the nets are in the water, they catch both wild and hatchery at the same time.

5. Is it possible that "local" includes the "steelhead" triploids grown in the net pens Rurfus Woods?

6. Some locals I've been talking to have talked to the restaurant, they are indeed wild.

7. This truly the key issue. Hatcheries aren't going away tomorrow. The key is to harvest factory fish and "escape" wild ones. Gill nets kill both indiscriminately, and must go. Support selective harvest methods.

8. Lets not forget that in the case of our coastal winter / spring steelhead runs, it doesn’t make a difference what the tribes are using (that is selective or non-selective gear) to harvest them. They are actively targeting wild steelhead for commercial and subsistence purposes and until they can be convinced to do otherwise, the issue of selective versus non-selective gear is irrelevant.

Regards,

Andrew

9. Stop demand, stop the nets.