Fresh vs. Saltwater Rods

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by freestoneangler, Sep 3, 2013.

1. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +705 / 1
    Many of the rod makers make a fresh and saltwater series of the same rod. Sure, handles are often different for the same base rod and stainless or other corrosion resistant guides, reel seats, etc. are used on the saltwater series...which typically increases price a little. I bought a St. Croix Legend Elite ESW 906-4 last spring and really like it...so much so, I just bought the 908-4. Sure, freshwater rods work fine for salt but are at more risk for corrosion if not gushed clean soon after use. I'm really beginning to wonder why I didn't just buy more saltwater series rods to begin with and use them for both fresh and salt? Anyone else using salty's for their river and lake fishing?
  2. mbowers Active Member

Jupiter, FL / Victoria, BC
    Ratings: +81 / 0
    I use "saltwater" rods for fresh all the time but mostly because I fish salt way more than fresh. I dispute that the guides are any better on saltwater rods with some manufacturers!

You will typically be limited to 9'0" rods with a saltwater series so mending and high sticking techniques in moving water are a little limited by the cross purposing of the saltwater rod IMHO.
  3. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +959 / 1
    There's a rod builder on here that says the guides are different on freshwater vs saltwater rods. He says the FW ones are more prone to corrosion.
  4. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +710 / 2
    I'd be rinsing off a saltwater rod the same as any fw rod I fished in the salt.
    plaegreid likes this.
  5. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +507 / 0
    I use my TFO TiCrX 6 weight in freshwater a lot when lake fishing and found it was my preferred rod slinging 7 weight sink tips for rainbows and silvers in AK as well. I bought this rod and the Lamson velocity ha II for the beach... works great there, and is a salt setup, but love it too much to not take it to lakes too!
  6. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +705 / 1
    True enough...I gush the hell out of everything that touches saltwater...but for those less anal, could be a big deal.