Fresh Whole Wild Steelhead with puree

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by KEM, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Media:
    Home Page:
    Pike Place. I started yelling at them ten years ago. Evey few years they get a raft of sneers and jeers from people- usually an internet forum group- about those wild steelhead being sold there- "Tribal caught Wild Steelhead".Yes they are wild fish. And you are correct that they couldnt care less. They are in it for the money. I used to think that we could win this thing for the wild fish on the basis of stepping on this kind of marketing. No doubt we could buy a little time. But overal and long term we will have to work directly WITH the Tribes for the solution. You cant do that with anger. You can only do that with fairness. Otherwise it will just be another stupid and useless chapter in the fish wars, a flash in the pan betwen resentful user groups and resource hacks.

2. FLGator

FLGator Member

E mail sent.

3. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    well mr triggs, you have made a HUGE assumption that the tribes want to deal with any of these issues. the fact is, having spent well over an hour with the NWIFC, that they see what they do as an 'entitlement' and you and me and the rest of the non indian population '...don't understand...' time to start protecting fish and let the chips fall where they may.

4. email sent...

5. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Best piece of information to come out of this thread! Thanks Bob!

6. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have definately not made that assumption, I am well aware of the official Tribal position on these fish. I have spent the last ten years out here at the end of the road dealing with it every day; watching it happen on the rivers, in the fish markets, studying it, talking with tribal members etc.

It will always be "time to protect the fish", I have worked for that non-stop, stuck my neck out repeatedly and paid a heavy price too. "Letting the chips fall where they may" is not a plan. Having a goal of a widespread public education camapaign, based on facts and truth and honesty, would be an initial aspect, a significant fisrt step. But you have to have a long range goal that includes the Tribes or it simply will not work.

7. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

I'm still praying those are hatchery fish that are "wild". Does anyone know the hatchery system in other states/Canada, and if they extensively clip? The wild distinction could be used more as a term of art in the grocery industry than we use it in the fishing community. I agree that there's a good chance "wild" is used to denote an anadromous fish that feeds in the open sea and isn't farmed in pens, whether the fish grew up in a hatchery or pristine mountain stream. Seattlites love their organics and free-range whateverthehell, I wouldn't put it past companies to market hatchery fish as wild.

Overall though, it's definitely not ok to send a message to the public, by marketing "wild" fish, that netting wild steelhead or any wild salmonid is a sustainable venture, even if that "wild" steelhead turns out to be of hatchery origin. Legislative change is what we need and for that the public has to be able to realize that we have a problem.

By the way, I was at QFC day before yesterday and I spotted unclipped steelhead. No representation that they were wild, however. It made me think, so I asked the guy working there where the fish came from. He didn't know, and I didn't want to wait around for the manager. I love QFC, but I don't know if I would shop there, if that steelhead was truly wild. Anyone know if there are farm steelhead operations?

8. martyg

martyg Active Member

Let's show up with two dozen guys, signs, and contact the media about our plans.

9. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    Yes, they're the same type of net pen operations as are used for farming Atlantic salmon and pose the same environmental problems. When sold, it's clearly marked as farmed steelhead.

10. Plecoptera

Plecoptera Active Member

Yes, farm raised fish are usually tagged as such. The "wild" label usually just lets customers know the fish is not farm raised. Rarely do they decipher between wild spawning and hatchery origin fish that are labeled as wild.

Kind of ironic that the same people who wouldn't think of eating a farm raised fish because of the meat quality and environmental problems, would readily buy a fish that is marked wild.

11. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Think of it like this, if it sold as wild, it came out of a gill net, which has less chance to tell the difference than we do. The take may be native or hatchery stock, same price per pound.

12. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    email sent..... i attached a picture of a fist. should do the trick.

13. NomDeTrout

NomDeTrout Fly Guy Eat Pie

Media:
    Well, some confirmation... I met a lady from wdfw on the hoh today, she said the pikes place fish are netted from Hoh. :/

She also told me an interesting story of a netter who she caught pissin on a pile of wild and hatchery steelhead, their reason? They're selling them to the pikes place market. Good to know they're pissin on fish before selling. Unbelievable.

14. Craig Schulz

Craig Schulz Midwest transplant, but taking root nicely....

Agreed and spot on this is going to take time and effort! Work with your local groups, CCA, Wild Steelhead Coalition, etc...

15. Southsound

Southsound Steve Cole - Nisqually and Adjacent Environs

Two Cents - Why shouldn't we know where the fish come from and whether these are wild or hatchery stocks? I just don't get why there are such big hurdles to being able to know which stocks are being impacted... from the tide to the table. Gotta engage not only the public at large but the fishermen as well... maybe show them that existing methods of taking fish commercially (e.g., indiscriminate gill netting) may not be the optimal way to go about it.

A project underway in Oregon http://www.pacificfishtrax.org/ is intriguing as it seems to offer an opportunity for making the connections (personal, supply chain, and otherwise) needed to assure that endangered runs are not making it to the marketplace. Check it out and see what you think...

Steve Cole

16. i got a response today from Pike Place:

Thanks Charles for your feedback, we're open to it for sure. Just out of
    curiosity, where do you get your information? I want to know just because
    we here do our best to sort through as much of it as we can. Whether it's
    talking to our distributors, reading periodicals, or reading online blogs,
    we want to know as much about what we sell as we can. It's important to us
    to listen to the concerns of our community (i.e. you!) and then decide who
    we want to be as a company on these type issues. Let us know when you can
    Charles!

~scott and the guys at Pike Place

not bad i wasn't expecting a response

17. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

That's the same response I got, which is much better than what I'd read here about reactions in the past.

18. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    i got the same thing. along with 20 of my non-fishin friends who i conned into sending an email. think they got the message?

19. Dottiesdad

Dottiesdad Member

Here is my late contribution to this thread.

My wife and I were at Pikes Place market (I forgot how much I detest that place) over the weekend getting some special sausage for Super Bowl eats. So I walk up to the flying fish shop and look over the offering, and sure enough there were "Wild Steelhead" on ice. They looked a little snaky to me, but I'm not expert on things steelhead.

Anyway I kind of gently engaged the fellow and asked him if those were really wild fish, he started of with a firm "yes" (like that was what he thought I wanted to hear). I kind of paused and said, "Really? How does that happen?" He kind of down shifted a bit and got a little sheepish it seemed.

Long and short of it was he said that, yes, they were tribal caught fish from the Quinalt system. He then said that they were not planning to carry them in the future. From what he said I thought he saw that selling wild steelhead was the wrong thing to do, and that it was bad business. He mentioned the contradiction of being in a very environmentally aware area and selling wild steelhead.

For me, taking a soft approach seemed to work out pretty well. I hope he was not just feeding me what he thought I wanted to hear and that they will in fact stop supporting the commercial harvest of wild fish.

If it the fish come off offer, or if someone gets confirmation that they have changed their practices, please post a not here so that we can offer some positive reinforcement and say thanks to the shop for doing the right thing.

DD

20. johnnyrockfish

johnnyrockfish Member

Finally, someone with a plan. Count me and my kids in. Someone needs to prepare a media packet, not me since I don't know the science. I'm happy to help organize something at the market.

JR