Friday harbor over valentine’s day weekend.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Just.Mark, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Just.Mark

Just.Mark Member

Wife wants to get away for the 4 day weekend, so since we are going to the san juan islands I might as well fish. Was looking for any leads as to whats going on up there this time of year. I do some beach fishing down in the south sound and was going to try and go after some sea runs or black mouth. I noticed there are a lot of lakes in the area I might take a float tube as well. Any help would be awesome.

2. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    Hi Mark,
    I have never heard that the searun fishing was significant in the San Juans. Blackmouth aren't really a likely flyfishing target; the usual strategy is slow-trolling off downriggers.
    On San Juan Island, your best bet is Egg Lake, a few miles from Friday Harbor (Egg Lake Road); the campground near there also stocks its lakes. Egg Lake is stocked annually with trout (triploids, I believe nowadays) and access is easy. Try Callibaetis nymphs and damsel nymphs thrown toward the shallows, and trolling wooly buggers through the deeper areas of the lake. If you had more time, you could try Cascade Lake and Mountain Lake on Orcas.
    Steve

3. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    The Lakedale Campground does stock its lakes, but you are not likely to hit any of their trout because they stock in Spring and people who camp there take them out fairly quick. The bass on the other hand could be interesting from their dock and then as you walk around the two main lakes. They have like a $5 pass to fish for the day. If you have access to some floating device, Sportsman lake is also worth a shot for their bass.

4. Just.Mark

Just.Mark Member

I will bring a float tube, sounds like lake fishing it is. Time to get the sinking lines and streamers out I am in love with the tug.