"Friend or Foe"

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by andrew, Mar 18, 2004.

1. P.Dieter

P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Media:
    Home Page:
    Friend or Foe

I think people threw rocks at it and it went away.

2. Curtis Williams

Curtis Williams Wandering but not lost

"Friend or Foe"

I have volunteered with a local special needs childrens organization the past couple of summers. They have two of these for their kids to take out on the lake. They are safe as hell, can't flip or roll over and have lots of pep in them. I run about 195lb on a good day and this little boat pushed me right along. Given the price of $3400+ I would rather have a drift boat. But be warned, they are loud as hell!

3. Rob Zelk

Rob Zelk I swing, therefore i am.

Media:
    "Friend or Foe"

Jet sleds are just as bad, worse in my opinion; they're louder, and can carry an arsenal of people and gear. This thing is like a personal jet sled without all the room to store your gear rods. Heck i'd probably buy one if i could afford it. If i get one, i'll be sure to be packin'!! ;) no but really. One thing they're for sure more environmentally friendly than a jet sled. I think people need to chill........... If anything i think there should be sections of river outlawed from motorized craft, or even better any craft. I bet that'd piss some people even more. Are you a nympher or a swinger? Ahh look where we are back to "to each his own."

fishincurt- are they louder that a jet sled?

4. windtickler

windtickler Member

"Friend or Foe"

The only way to settle this is for Scoones to get one for the gear program.

(BTW, for those calling Probasco a media whore, that boat got way more coverage here, including a few reviews, than it ever did in the magazine. Anybody else see the irony in that?)

5. otter

otter Banned or Parked

"Friend or Foe"

The Solution...........

Years ago I had a converted 36' cedar on oak salmon troller, and I lived aboard on Hayden Island, down in Portland, before the marina turned into gated community yuppieville. And that's another story.

Anyway, there was a launching ramp nearby and this turkey would launch his jetski every day in the evening and come bombing thru the marina, winding up the machine like a dirtbike. Most annoying. Especially when it was my time of day to park in the cockpit, have a brewski or three and a smoke, and enjoy evening on the river.

I happened to have a coffeecan full of California Fish & Wildlife Seal-Scarers, nevermind why. For those of you who don't know, they are yellow, waterproof and about equal to a quarter stick of dynamite. That evening, sitting on the back deck, I heard that goddam jetski winding up again. So I went in, got one out of the can and waited. Here comes the guy, revving that damn jetski. Fired up the fuse, and made an inspired throw as he passed my transom.

Big bang, plus column of water, and jetski rolls over, guy is separated from jetski, and he pops up out of the water saying many bad words at me.

I just said "come on baby", because I was pissed, and right then Random, my 135 pound male Akita comes out of the main cabin and puts his head, all grin and fangs, over the transom to see what the fun is all about.

Guy turns around, gets onto his ski and goes back to the launch. Never saw him again.

Sometimes frontier justice is good.

otter

ps

Mind you, I'm not suggesting anything......just telling a tale.

6. alaskamokaiman

alaskamokaiman New Member

"Friend or Foe"

Be careful who you throw rocks and seal bombs at they could be packin might even be a fish & game member and seal bombs would be fishing with a charge could land you in trouble.

7. otter

otter Banned or Parked

"Friend or Foe"

Life is full of risks. I've gotten my edges chipped a few times, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Live large!

otter

8. TomB

TomB Active Member

"Friend or Foe"

im with les on this one....and by the way chad....this summer my rowed driftboat limited by 7am on the days we went out during the sockeye season
    -Tom

9. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    "Friend or Foe"

I am not 100% sure that this thread is about this but I have been using a sit down jet ski for a couple years now. I didnt use it once this year though because I have some back issues that prohibit any rapid acceleration.

They are genius. You can putt upstream at a walking pace and be completely safe in a chute. You dont have to go fast. Just move along at a good enough pace to maintain good steerage.

I did roll it last year on the Klamath with my bro on back who had never ridden one before and hasnt ridden motorcycles either so he didnt have to whole balance thing as good as he should have. We got wet and cold but with life jackets on it was safe enough.

I think we used 8 gallons of gas in 5 days of fishing to cover 10 miles of water each day.

10. 509

509 New Member

"Friend or Foe"

I think that those things would meet the definition of a personal watercraft. As such, I believe their banned in the Wenatchee River and other rivers in Chelan County. I know that the Chelan County Commissoners tried to ban PWC's and actually passed an ordinance, but there is a chance that it might have been overturned.

The National Park Service has banned PWC's in most areas under their jurisdiction.

I can accept them on large motorized lakes and salt water....however, they should be sunk on site on rivers and small lakes.

11. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    "Friend or Foe"

i was fishing on the snoqualmie (before the floods) alone in my Drift Boat. I was at the rock wall near david powell area and 3 or 4 of these things come roaring up the river. i think they went all the way up to the falls............ not my cup of tea. the 2 guys with their women looked like the were having a blast. the dumb idiots went right over water that i was fishing and that of several bank fly anglers.

12. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    "Friend or Foe"

I have gone on guided trips with the big inboard jets that are LOUD where we rip over water we are going to fish and pull up to the bank jump out and first cast start catching fish in the riffle we were disturbing not 1 minute before.

IMHO the noise and boat dont really bother them at all. I think they just move aside and then move right back a few seconds later.

13. TomB

TomB Active Member

"Friend or Foe"

if i ever run into one of those #$^&S on the water i will definately stone them