? from a new/old tyer setting up again

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by thundrrr, May 6, 2007.

1. thundrrr New Member

Enumclaw, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hey all. Used to tie them 15 years ago and thinking of picking it up again now that eldest is off to college (got to do something with that room after we're done fumigating!).

Two questions for the forum members -- (1) What's the current best overall book for tyers? In other words, if you only had one book in your library for tying reference, which would it be? Assume we're talking freshwater lakes and medium to small rivers for trout is the primary focus.

(2) I'll need a clamp on desk light for the tying station -- what's best for ease on the eyes? Incandescent, florescent, or halogen?

Thanks for the advice! Wish me luck.
  2. obiwankanobi Active Member

Ratings: +100 / 0
    Oooohhh man you stumped me on the best overall book for fly tying. I literally have a library of over 30 fly tying books!!! If its out there I probably have it. I greatly encourage you to buy the "Fly Patterns for Stillwaters" by Philip Rowley, the patterns in this book are easy to tie and will outfit you for all of your stillwater fishing needs. For a great stream fly tying book, I would suggest "Trout Flies the Tyiers Reference" by David Hughes. This is a great hardcover book, with fun patterns to try and are applicable for the PNW. It is expensive around $50ish.

I just have a clamp on desk lamp that you could buy at Target, with no magnifing glass. Sorry I can't help on that one!!!

Good Luck
  3. obiwankanobi Active Member

Ratings: +100 / 0
    PS... I spelled "tiers":thumb: wrong
  4. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    Flies of the Northwest (Spiral-bound)
    by Inland Empire Fly Fishing Club (Corporate Author)

If I had to only keep one.
  5. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    Schloemeyer's[sp] book TYING TIPS & TECHNIQUES is a compendium of various tying techniques and ways of doing things. It is probably the best single book currently available for what you are looking for.

As far a lighting, the best is a daylight florescent-type of lamp. There are quite a few of these on the market; however, about the best deal I've seen is the one Hareline Dubbing has been marketing through its dealer network, it sells for about $85.00 with magnifyer. You can go with lamps from Ott Light is you must (they are available at nearly any office supply store, Office Depot, and Office Max); but the one Harline is marketing is just as good and is cheaper. Any fly shop that carries Hareline Dubbing materials can get one for you within a few days if they don't have one in stock. Check with site sponsor shops, I'd be surprised if one or all did not carry this lamp.

The reason the daylight florescent-type lamps are best is they provide light that is nearly identical to sunlight. This means the colors are true, everything is clearer, and the clarity of the light makes seeing what you are doing much better.
  6. NWDave New Member

Bellingham, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I'm in the same boat as you. I've returned to tying after a layoff of a far too many years. Fortunately, I saved all my material so I'm not restarting from zero. In the quest to get a jump start on the old skills, I've found two books that are a boon to me. They are "The Benchside Introduction to Fly Tying" and "The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference to Techniques and Dressing Styles". Both are by the same authors: Ted Leeson and Jim Schollmeyer. Excellent references. This presumes that you've grown rusty in your hand manipulation and just wonder what the heck that material is and how do you use it. For all the newbies, these two books will set you on a good path to tying those elusive patterns. While they're expensive, you can save some bucks if you buy them from a bookseller whose name is derived from a river in South America. One book only? Start with the Benchside Introduction to Fly Tying. You do know that there are many online sites with excellent step-by-step instructions for most fly patterns. All you gotta do is dig them out of the internet maze. Google is such a wonderful thing if you know how to use it.

~Dave
  7. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +249 / 1