Ft. Lewis Area Fishing

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by El Barton, Jul 5, 2012.

1. El Barton New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hey all,

I just moved here from Oklahoma and I'm really excited about all the fishing opportunities awaiting me! Except then I realized the Army is working me to death and I won't have time to take a legit fishing trip for awhile. Anyone know of some good fishing spots in the Ft. Lewis area? I tried American Lake and had really good success catching rock bass but I'm looking to get some trout! Thanks for any help!

-Bart
  2. Jeff Sawyer Active Member

Tacoma WA
    Ratings: +219 / 0
    Chambers lake on post
  3. underachiever !

suburban hell
    Ratings: +405 / 0
    When I was stationed there in 2003 liked to fish Sequalitchew Lake on North Ft Lewis from my float tube. There were some rather large bass in it. I did catch a lot of trout out of American Lake so don't give up on that either.
  4. Bill Aubrey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    Bart,

Munn Lake near the Olympia airport can be quite good. Same with Killarney by Edgewood. For streams, the Little Deschutes River near Yelm can be fun. Where are you living? There are great clubs in Tacoma, Puyallup and Olympia. Also, a bunch of us get together once a month for beer and a burger. Welcome to the area.
  5. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +704 / 1
    The Cowlitz and Tilton offer some good fishing opportunities as does Mayfield Lake. Skate Creek use to be pretty good at times, but it's been some time since I've fished it.

Anyway, welcome to WA, tight lines wherever you fish, and thanks for your service!
  6. DennisE Topwater and tying.

Tacoma, Washington
    Ratings: +65 / 0
    Don't give up on American, either. They stocked it heavily. You will do best with a boat though. Also, it's clearer than most lakes in the area, so if it's sunny you'll have to go deep. Also the Kokanee are deep. A lot of guys out there trolling with downriggers to get down about 30-50 feet.
    I was there early morning on a sunny day before the 4th. Kayak on the water just post dawn. Had one to the boat after a 3 minute troll of a W Bugger before he came unbuttoned. Several more bites during the next hour, then pretty much nothing. If I was going there on a sunny day again I'd be waiting at the WDFW gate at 5 (when they open), with my rod already rigged and plan on being off the water about an hour and a half after sunrise. Or you could reverse it and do the sunset fishing.
    Do they still have boats available for the military down at the Special Services beach on Little American? Might want to check that out.
  7. Top in my class Member

washington, Spanaway
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    I fish Rapjohn a lot and have been just hammering the trout. That was until this sun came out and started heating up the lake and now they are going deep making the fishing not so easy anymore. Spanaway lake is also good, and local. A lot of the lakes around Ft.lewis are just loaded with trout but the sun has made it hard. your best bet is morning bite, and when I say morning bite I mean first light. I hope this helps.
  8. sean_k Active Member

Spanaway Wa.
    Ratings: +25 / 0
    Bart, PM me.
  9. El Barton New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I'll try them out and let you know how they went. I never knew there were so many fishing opportunities around here!
  10. El Barton New Member

I think they still have boats for rent. That's not a bad idea, I never thought of grabbing a boat/kayak there.
  11. El Barton New Member

I'm in Fircrest. I'd be down to meet up with you guys some time. Just let me know!
  12. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +651 / 5
    El Barton, I'm one of the volunteers with Project Healing Waters at JBLM. If you're able to, come on over to the WTB next to Madigan. We meet every Tuesday at 1400 and tie until at least 1800 and sometimes until 2100. Sometimes we do trips as well instead of tying (like this Tuesday, we may fish Sequalitchew on North Fort instead of tying). Something to consider. Especially if you can tie, you could come in as a volunteer (unless you're diagnosed with PTSD or are combat wounded). Something to consider, and would get you on the water with some fellow soldiers. :)
  13. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +369 / 16
    Hey Jerry can you shoot me a PM with more info on Project Healing Waters. Im stationed on Lewis as well and would be interested. Thanks.